To Build a Boat (any boat)

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

I think you need to mount that seat backwards.... With the back facing the steering wheel leaning forward. That way you got some support on your chest and bum... without scrapin the knees as bad....<br /><br />Go figure... blue and white

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

:D The seat will wait until I get steering and throttle figured out. I purchased that seat for the canoe but it never made it that far. :)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> Hey Wimperdink!<br /><br /><br />I thought you said it was on shareaproject but I couldn't find it. Go a link?<br /><br />
Hey Mark42.. I made my own version of a share project page special for you :D <br /><br /> MiniMax Project Page

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A backwards seat, I like that idea....

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

it would eliminate the need for a grab board wouldnt it... maybe mount a backwards windscreen around the motor to act as a splashwell too :D name it "Bass Ackwards"

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

mount it backwards.... and if ya ever wanted to rest on the lake... just turn around kick the feet up on the outboard and relax for a few winks....

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Just looked at you project page...<br /><br />Man... that there sealed wood sure looks nifty..<br /><br />Actually it sure brought the color out of the wood.... hmmmmmmmmmmm...

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

now you see why I'm going to finish mine clear, It really turns heads, all that polished timber. People are just so used to fibreglass and aluminium these days, they forget how boats used to be made. I am considering gelcoating the bottom of mine now, but the top is definatly staying clear.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like the look of the clear finished top but... I wouldnt know how to attach it solid without screws because I dont really trust glue alone on something that will be slapping around on the water and I dont know how to coverup screws to make it look good.<br /><br />Still haven't figured out the edges thing yet either... how to wrap the nose with fiberglass without huge air bubbles

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/vint...50439QQitemZ4577926428QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW <br /><br />
b9_1.JPG
<br /><br />This is the type of throttle I was thinking of.<br /><br />About the fiberglass wrapping around a sharp edge: Thumbtacks? Lots and lots of thumbtacks???<br />Maybe tape down (with plastic tape that resin won't soak into) the very outer edges of the fiberglass and just resin the center where it bends over, let it set up then remove the tape and resin the rest.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like that throttle contol :) I've used tape before and done exactly what you said. It worked alright but now I'm liking the thumbtack idea... might go find some really flat head thumbtacks and just leave them permenant since I will be painting this anyway. Is it important to use mat around the outside edges or will cloth suffice?

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I would think you should be using fiberglass tape and cloth. Mat and roving would be used for building up thickness as you would do in an all fiberglass hull but you already have the thickness needed thanks to wood construction. :) <br /><br />As long as you're considering leaving tacks in place you might as well get out the staplegun. :D <br /><br />I should state that I'm not an expert in fiberglass work by any means but have dabbled with it for a few years and have enough of a feel for it that I'm not afraid to work on my own boats, but take any advice by me with a grain of salt OK? :) <br /><br />BTW Why aren't you at work??? :D :D :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

staple gun it is... I love it... understand I'm not a professional anything when it comes to boats and I like easy over professional. :) I have no fiberglass tape because I was too lazy to get it ordered and i've never used it before... please excuse my ignorance but is it actually like tape being sticky on one side? I thought it was just cloth or thin mat that was sewn down the edges and cut skinny so I decided since I already have a load of cloth at my disposal i'd just cut itinto strips.<br /><br />I'm not at work because I own my own buisness and My next contract doesnt come about till late next week... I very often only work 1 to 3 weeks a month. :) I travel all over the country for it and have internet in my car too so now and then you'll see a post at 80mph :D (they look just like the 0mph posts in my office so you wont know it when you see it lol)

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

The proper reply would've been, "Why aren't YOU at work!?"<br /><br />I think you'll be fine with your glass considering your boat was designed to be covered in muslin and airplane dope.<br /><br />Are you using polyester or epoxy resin?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Polyester resin... and why arent You at work? :D <br /><br />So you say my boat is supposed to be covered in muslims and airplane dopes huh... maybe I need a spike on the front for "bow art" :D you linem up and i'll knockem down. Just Kidding to all the feel good humanitarians out there. :D

BillP

Captain

Hey Wimperdink,<br />I built a Minimax out of a Mechanics Illustrated mag a long time ago with exterior ply, bronze ring nails and weldwood brand resorcinal(sp?)glue. I put a 15hp Evinrude on and considered it way over powered. I glassed the whole exterior with 10oz cloth and it was overkill. If I had to do it again I wouldn't glass it at all. After running a few times I painted a skull and crossbones on the sides because it scared me. It also swapped ends at full speed on me once but didn't sink or get the motor wet.<br /><br />You like little boats? Check what these folks cruise the Bahamas in.<br /><br /> http://www.microcruising.com/

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

that is so awesome... lol now explain if you will how it swapped ends? do you have any clue of what kind of speed you got out of it? I wanna hear every tale you have on it :) how would you seal it if without fiberglass? I think I have 6 ounce cloth.. I was considering just putting cloth along the seams and just coating the rest with resin to seal the wood then sanding and painting.<br /><br />These are probably the original plans... you can click on my project page and see the plans I am using. :) <br /><br />Some of those famous boats are amazing.. cross the atlantic in this...<br />1965? 8' Bathtub East to West Atlantic crossing.<br /><br />
bathtub1.jpg
<br />
bathtub2.jpg
<br /><br />Are they nuts?????

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I would think if you took your strip, and measured the thickness it is forming...what 1/2"? <br /><br />Leaving a 1/2" (whatever the measurment was) uncut piece down the center of the tape, cut slits every inch or so... As you lay the tape overlap the "cut" sections over each other...The front would be a solid piece, and the top and bottom would be pretty thick. Seems to me it would be pretty darn strong. <br /><br />Might end up with alot of sandin, and strings but beside that... I wouldn't have a clue

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by Wimperdink:<br /> that is so awesome... lol now explain if you will how it swapped ends? do you have any clue of what kind of speed you got out of it? I wanna hear every tale you have on it :) how would you seal it if without fiberglass? I think I have 6 ounce cloth.. I was considering just putting cloth along the seams and just coating the rest with resin to seal the wood then sanding and painting.<br /><br />These are probably the original plans... you can click on my project page and see the plans I am using. :) <br /><br />Some of those famous boats are amazing.. cross the atlantic in this...<br />1965? 8' Bathtub East to West Atlantic crossing.<br /><br />
bathtub1.jpg
<br />
bathtub2.jpg
<br /><br />Are they nuts?????
I built that beast in the late 1960s and don't remember too many details on it. If memory is right it cost about $25 for materials and I sold it for $90. I can't remember the speed except for running faster than a friends 14' ply skiff with 10hp merc.<br /><br />It swapped ends when I was running full speed and suddenly cut the engine to see how far I could run up on the edge of a golf course. Water pressure kicked the motor up, then the stern skidded a little sideways, the bow dug in a little and around came the stern and motor...plus me and my bag of golf clubs. That was in my dare devil days!<br /><br />If you built it with epoxy or glue that should seal it. I've owned several exterior ply skiffs that were glued/nailed and they never leaked. They were built with resorcinal glue. You could use 3" wide 6 oz glass tape with polyester resin to do it too. Or tape off an inch or so down the chine line and bottom, then run a thick coat of epoxy resin. Then wait for it to tack off and pull the tape. It really isn't critical on tiny boats like this one. You don't stay out all day in them and they don't stay in the water long either. If you bail a little, so what?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lmao you turned the minimax into a golf cart.. I love it.<br /><br /> :) I'm a lil scared of my glued joints not holding so I tend to over do it trying to make it as strong as possible... I'm glueing the seams, screwing the pieces together and fiberglassing over the seams so I can guarantee no leakage cept what comes over the top. :) <br /><br />Got the top deck on today... just have to seal it up and put the motorboard on and i'm ready for sea trials... then its back to the sawhorse for revisions, sanding and painting. :) <br /><br />Anyone considered making a sub out of an old propane tank? :D