To Build a Boat (any boat)

cpj

Ensign
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

sounds like a job for the underwater camera! :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

LOL CPJ... where you at in MO? Lived in KC for about 2 years... might just make it back yet... Go down to Huston, MO once a year for a family get together, and then head over to the Ozarks...think next year were headin towards Branson. You going to build a mini??? <br /><br />Dink... I guess if thats all your gunna give us... it'll do. How's the progress???

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol I didnt start that project... Guess I should have... its getting chilly in my garage and my resin isnt setting up as fast as I would like

cpj

Ensign

djz,<br />springfield. no mini a duck boat

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dave I lived just south of KC for about 5 years... just moved in November

cpj

Ensign

Dont knock the paint job,Im tired!No worries Dink,I wont start another photo war.(at least not till I have a picture of your finished product!)But I cant resit!<br /><br /><br />
minimaxpic.jpg

cpj

Ensign

Here be the duck boat djz.10 feet long I forget how wide.
duck.jpg

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well get on it :D ... and keep a photo journal for us

cpj

Ensign

Im staring as we speak.Well, Im staring to clean out the garage anyway.Gotta start somewhere though!

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol take before and after pics :D of the garage lol

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did that once......scary. <br /><br />Didn't last long :rolleyes:

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey i'm still waiting on your pictures of your cut lumber laying on the floor :D <br /><br />goin to check if my last coat finaly dried

cpj

Ensign

Here you go wise arse!Now you said "cut lumber".It is cut,but for what I dont know!<br /><br /><br />
100_1690.jpg
<br /><br /><br />
100_1691.jpg

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol you could make one of these lapstrake style with all that.... hull weight = 473 lbs :D

cpj

Ensign

The wood in the 1st picture is from my cousins barn that was leveled in the tornados that hit here few years back.He guessed the barn to be over 100 years old.Not that anyone cares but I had to post so that I could see what happens when I hit 200 posts :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I get to post my wonderful picture of how I think he should paint it.... It incorperates everything but a sail :D <br />
minionfire.JPG
<br /><br />Maybe this will work... maybe not... If it won't I'll figure another way to post<br /><br />Nice wood... CP

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like it would be a pretty stable boat... Not the 2' wide mini...lol<br />Cpj's duck boat... ya ya ya more functional... WE all know what that means...

cpj

Ensign

Im like dink,I have A.D.D! I might make a kayak instead.I would love to make a canoe(full size!)out of cedar or mahogany.Just to much $ and time.NICE detail on the paint job!I even see the blue and white stripe!What ever I build it will be camo.My hair brained idea is to put some camo material on the boat and then cover it in resin.Gonna test it when I can find my material that I have somewhere.Dont know why it wouldnt work. :confused:

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I'm begining to think anyone posting to this topic has A.D.D. <br />I always thought paintin something camo was an easy way to paint somethin. Put camo material on then puttin resin on it would make it durable...as long as the resin sticks. Due to the fact that the wood soaks up some of the resin I almost want to say that you might just get a big "shell" that would eventually fall off. It would be great if it worked though.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

only prob i see with that method is that usually with camo you want a flat finish<br /><br />resin over paint would make it shiney.. if you sanded it, it'll turn white<br /><br />If you dont mind the shiney I would definitly soak the wood in resin, then sand and paint it then a top coat of resin would make a great finish... I think if you paint it first... it will screw up the paint job when the resin soaks in