To Build a Boat (any boat)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

I saw that too... I thought though that it was wayyy to much like a jet flea and dont want to be part of that crowd. I did consider the zipper though.. Just didnt have the claims for speed I was hoping for but might build that later just for the fun of it...<br /><br />personally, I just have more respect for the people who restore or build their own to get what they have, than the people that just spend big $$$.. it says a lot about them and I am a lot more apt to oooh and aaaahhh about someones rough looking homemade job than someones big shiney spencive toy.<br /><br />Comes from my days of biking... always said $20,000 and 20 miles does NOT make you a biker. Same goes for boating. <br /><br />
boat

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I agree.... Those fiberglass jobs are one in a million... Although I have one... but it's not no new one... and it doesn't look new either (the insides have been totally redone)... It's a 72 16' sea ray with a 70 evinrude 115 ... It weighs about 1400 including the weight of the motor... I get a few looks at the dock when I drop her in... But I can turn the key and it starts and will out run most of the bigger and better equiped new ones... <br /><br />I think if I am going to build a boat... it will be either the show boat or one of those house boats... Been lookin at the cabin cruisers.. They just don't have as much room as I would want in a cabin cruiser... and the house boat looks less complicated. Problem is theres no big lakes around here to drop it in and keep it...and the river... well the muddy MO has seen better days

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are you talking about the budget house boat on that page of the plans? You've got more nerve and or patience than I do :) I looked that one over close and thought that would be a great project but I know I dont have the follow through to finish something like that... I'd love to see one built though.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I saw one of those waterski/outboard things on the river here. It was doggy and definately redneck lookin'.<br /><br />Wimper, are you restricted to 4hp because that's what you've got or is 4hp max part of the challenge? When do you think you'll start building?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm just using what I have for now, which is a 4hp... I will buy more outboards this winter when the prices are lower :) probably a 10 - 20 hp for my small projects. The boat i'm getting in OCT. has a 65hp on it. and needs a 110 at least. The biggest part of my challenge is not to get soooo many things in my yard that I have to mow around :D and if I do i'd like to keep them small but fun enough that i'll use them from time to time. Might end up with a showcase of outboards in my office huh <br /><br />I am going to pick up the supplies in the next few days and hope to be finished with the hull on the minimax by sometime next week... It claims it can be built in a weekend but i'm not very organized <br /><br />The canoe in two is loaded up and will be delivered to my nephews pond tonight to make room for the minimax project :D 4 nephews and one niece that will have a blast with it.

cpj

Ensign

Wimp,<br />YOU ARE A BAD BAD PERSON!After seeing what you are getting ready to build,I think I am going to have to build one also.As yosimitee(sp?)Sam says,"rabbits.I just hates rabbits!"(some of you will get that,some wont) ;) <br />PS where did you get the plans?<br />edit: never mind I found it. why arent you building the 3 piece boat? :D :D :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol the three piece boat wont plane :D I saw that too.<br /><br />Hey if you want, I cleaned a lot of those pics up for the minimax. makes them much easier on the eyes and the printer... Minimax Plans

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I saw that budget boat.... Was thinking more of this one:<br />
tn.flothmA.jpg
<br /><br />What are your plans for that out of town cabin cruiser you are going to pick up... Looks like a decent boat to restore...<br /><br />That little 2 sheet of plywood boat shouldn't take much time... I would thing markin out the cuts would be the most time consuming..

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That one could look good to with a lil more modern decor on the outside. :) You think big with a project, I like that. I wish I had the attention span.<br /><br />I think marking the cuts and cutting them out is the easy part... Its putting it together and having clean looking joints that poses the threat to me :) <br /><br />I have a stupid question.... Is there really any need for the transom board to be slanted that much?<br />On my outboard I dont have a perfect 90* angle drive for the prop. It points down slightly and with the angle of the motor board in these plans I would expect the prop angle to be down even further yet. Should I stick to the plans or make my motor board more at a 90* angle?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, the transom does need to be slanted that much. It's a hydroplane. If you cant trim the motor in enough, you'll get the nose too high, and launch. It may not need it with a heavy person, but if some one light gets in, they need to trim in heaps.<br /><br />What model outboard do you have? I am guessing it's and old evinrude with the weedless foot?

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I would do as lark says..... Just seems right. <br /><br />I go for those more extensive projects due to the fact that if there isn't enough to keep me busy then I'd move on to the next project. <br /><br />I need a project that will last me more then a a few months. Which in the past is all I have done. I get a project... work on it til it's done then go lookin for something else... It's getting kinda old and need something with some time involved =o)<br /><br />Makin the cuts exact will give you your clean lookin edges alot easier

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by lark2004:<br /> <br />What model outboard do you have? I am guessing it's and old evinrude with the weedless foot?
pretty much yes... its a 1970 johnson with a weedless foot... I've noticed that with it all the way down, the prop is slanted downward and with it in the highest position the prop is straight back... so straight back equals airborne for a lightweight?<br /><br />Dave, I'm just the opposite... if its too big and I cant play with it in a reasonable amount of time I start to get tired of it quick. :) I like fast easy projects so I have quick turn around and more fun time. :)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

went out and purchased the wood tonight... gonna go get started :D since Its not my sleepy time yet

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

post pics!<br /><br />I'm toying with the idea of building one myself.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

had to give up for the night due to the lack of an extra set of hands :D need help drawing the curve for the fore cross piece... And I need to cut the sheets outside due to lack of space in my 1 car garage that is over full of stuff.<br /><br />All I accomplished in that amount of time was to get my side pieces cut, my fore cross piece marked (cept for the curves) and whine and complain about fractions and wrong size 1 x 8's and my incompetance with the parts list when I was out shopping :D <br /><br />I know now why I'm not a carpenter... I knew wood didnt come in perfect measurements but I sure didnt think a 1 x 8 x 8 would actually be a 3/4 x 7¼ x 8<br /><br />Yall might want to go for 1 x 10 x 8's and rip them down to 7½ like the plans call for.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey someone else needs to build one too... I'm not near good enough with woodwork to be a proper guineau pig... get on it :)

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I figured I would wait to see after you tested on the lake and see how it goes... Let us know when that is so if we don't hear from ya for awhile ... I'll know wether or not to build one.<br /><br />I knew they gave those materials lists for a reason... and yes.. wood measures a bit smaller then it says... It's all for a reason... yes it is...

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ok ok, I will build one, <br /><br />It'll be a bit different, <br />all I have to work with is second hand timber.<br /><br />I'll post the pics on a new thread, MiniMax on a budget!<br /><br />Just give me a few days to get started....

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Lark... you going to have time to build with the other project?? Just got done lookin at the shareproject site and that looks like it'll be a fun boat. Motor looks great.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I didn't say it would be done this weekend...