To Build a Boat (any boat)

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

I'm not screwing or nailing the deck down at all, I'm using thickened epoxy resin for the glue. Done it before, and the timber breaks before the resin lets go. As for the glass around the edge, I have done that before as well, and mine didn't lift anywhere. I did apply resin to the timber first, let that cure, sanded it, then did the glass layer, sanded, then resined once more, one final sand (lightly) and it turned out great. The reason for the first coat is that the timber will soak the resin up. Once that coat has been soaked up and cured, it won't soak anymore up, which means the resin will soak the cloth properly.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Nice page you put up there, Wimperdink. Sure are making progress. This is going to be great when you get on the water. What's the temps like this time of year in TN?<br /><br />Lark, So you got one going too? Have some pics?<br /><br />You guys are too much!

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by lark2004:<br />As for the glass around the edge, I have done that before as well, and mine didn't lift anywhere. I did apply resin to the timber first, let that cure, sanded it, then did the glass layer, sanded, then resined once more, one final sand (lightly) and it turned out great. The reason for the first coat is that the timber will soak the resin up. Once that coat has been soaked up and cured, it won't soak anymore up, which means the resin will soak the cloth properly.
AHHHHHH Now I see... Going to do exactly that. :) Thanks<br /><br />Mark42... glad ya like it.... it will be updated regularily until project is done... p.s. try not to look at the mess around the project :D Its right around 80 degrees during the day and down to about 60 at night... still good for water recreation. :)

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

no pics yet, they are coming. I thought I might wait until I got the ply for the hull. No-one gets excited about a bunch of frames sitting on the floor.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I do... get excited bout cut out pieces :) ... hence the pics of the kit I have posted :D

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll take some this afternoon then, sometime in the next few hours. Gotta cook lunch right now.

cpj

Ensign

lookin slick there dinker!after much thought I have decided to build a duck boat (from the hulls software we talked about) because it would be, God I hate to say it,p p p p p practical.My wife said "just what would you do with a little boat like that ?"I wanted to say :"I would take it to the lake so that I wouldnt have to listen to you ask me why I need another boat".but knowing that I still have to sleep next to her, I said :"you are right,dear. I should build some thing that is more practical." she is right,but she is killing my fun!although if I start a boat before I start my youngest girls dresser,then I might need to move in with you.got an extra half a canoe that I could sleep under? :D :D :D :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol i'd give you the other half of canoe and you could make a chest of drawers out of it... might serve as a hint too. Actually that would be cool... make drawers in the bottom 4 feet and inside the top part put a mirror. and put lil hooks around the edge for daughter to hang necklaces etc etc<br /><br />Just ran outside and coated the whole top with resin... gonna make the cloth stick one way or another :) ... Its looking gooooooooood.

cpj

Ensign

that thing doesnt look very thick from the front! how thick is it?thats got to be a rough ridin sob!but who cares,you will look cool goin down the lake!thats goin down the lake, not going down under the lake! :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

its shaped like a shovel... to wake ya up as your coming into choppy water. a lil dig to splash ya now and then never hurt... also the reason I sealed the cockpit :D

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

its about 8" from top to bottom.<br /><br />smoooooooooth water use only!

cpj

Ensign

dink,I say flames or camo for the paint job!No true redneck would have a plain paint job!

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I never noticed how shallow that thing is 8", shaped like a shovel..... I would not suggest launchin that thing... might just put you 6' under... under the lake that is :eek: <br /><br />Still looks like alot of fun... I'm going to stick with the Hydro I chose. Just have to get the darn truck workin to get the wood.<br /><br />Weather is about the same here Dink... 80's in the days, 60's at night... did get one 35 night... <br /><br />One thing about the minimax... there cheap and easy enough you could make about 5 and the whole family could try them out.... and the lakes thought jet fleas were bad :D <br /><br />Sail the world with it dink....sail the world :)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol you all are nuts... and I thought I was redneck... CPJ wants flames made like camo... Dave wants a sail on his. :D <br /><br />Funny Dave, I was just talking to my step dad about making 3 of them for the nephews to go fish out of ... give them trolling motors to get around in them and lettem loose in a big cove. :)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey for those of you who have not yet cut all your pieces.... I have some suggestions... wait until you start assembly and get your fore crosspiece in place before you cut your nose support piece. Also instead of leaving the top edge flat, cut a lil bit of a curve on the top as well as the bottom so it isnt shaped so much like a shovel :D

cpj

Ensign

No dink,I said flames OR camo.But you said flames MADE like camo, hmmmmmm that gives me ideas.....<br /><br /><br />EDIT: If you dont post a video, I say you should be banned from Iboats! :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

A sail... now thats an Idea... and I could take it out on the windiest roughest days.... who needs a 45 hp motor when you got 60mph winds and rough waters??? While I'm at it... I'll just leave all steering controls off of it... come on hun... let go for a ride :eek: <br /><br />Mine is gunna take a bit more time... and a trailer...lol <br /><br />Wifes still not to sure of the idea :( ... but haven't seemed to amaze her yet... I think she will change her mind as things get goin...If she only knew how some of these boats are built.<br /><br />EDIT: Nice thinkin on the paint job... and the video... I want to see 2 of them... one of him in it... and then one mounted to mini itself :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Dave J Z:<br /> and then one mounted to mini itself :D
you must hate my video camera huh.... I used to own fourwheelers years ago... always wanted a helmet cam... might be time for it huh.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Yep... sounds like the perfect reason you need to buy one. Fourwheelin ya... but your talkin a once in a lifetime oppurtunity to record a very couragous moment in your life... <br /><br />Eh... just put it in a ziplock and bungie cord her down... If it gets wet... go after Ziplock :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a security cam that would plug into camcorder... for outdoor use... wont be a good picture but would be worth trying :D would take awhile to get it to web format though as I dont have the equipment.<br /><br />Might take short video from digi cam.