To Build a Boat (any boat)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

lol last I saw of your boat it had no transom... glad to see its a work in progress instead of just being a work :) Found out a couple of clamps and blocks of wood worked nicely for my extra set of hands so its game on for the minimax again. :) <br /><br />I'll take pictures when I get my parts cut and on up from there... noone needs pics of bare lumber :D <br /><br />Dave can you explain the reason for lumber being offsize.<br /><br />I want to sell my boat... its a 24' Bayliner (actually a 19' but by lumberyard standards it must be a 24') :) (not actually for sale.. just making a point)

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

LMAO....My boat is 4" shy of being 16' why in the hell make it hard... like it would have changed that much adding 4"<br /><br />About the wood? I've been givin 2 reasons for this, and they all make sense. So maybe it's both. Lets say we got a 2x4x8. At the mill (raw lumber) that 2x4 is cut into a 2x4 but during the finishing stages of that 2x4 it is planed down about 1/8" on each side, giving you that wonderful piece of wood that is not it's size. So you buy a 2x4 and get 1 1/2" x<br />3 1/2". <br /><br />The other one is this... you want a 4" wall you take a 2x4 that measures 3 1/2 wide. Nailer her up and cover her with drywall... and you get a 4" wall. <br /><br /><br />I personally think if they didn't plane all that wood off.... all these janitors that work in the schools wouldn't have anything to push around with there broom =o)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

of course then... if they came as stated size, you could have a 4½" wall which isnt much more than 4 inch wall... but when you need a 7.5 inch board and you buy a 1 x 8 to shave down and you actually end up with a 1 x 7¼.... <br /><br />Guess I need to go get my board stretcher out of storage. :)

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Sense this was a double post... I'll make it useful. Just saw a fork hydroplane on ebay complete with motor and trailer startin out @ $500<br /><br />I don't think I would buy one for $500

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote "At the mill (raw lumber) that 2x4 is cut into a 2x4 but during the finishing stages of that 2x4 it is planed down about 1/8" on each side, giving you that wonderful piece of wood that is not it's size."<br />Yup if ya buy "rough cut" lumber it will be the actual dimention listed on the tag ... and will be rough ;) <br />Jon

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

so its like a 1/4 pounder hamburger.. its a 1/4 lb before ya cook it... and after ya cook it, it fills 1/4 of the bun? :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Drool folks Drool<br /><br />I have a minimax kit ready for assembly. Have everything cut cept the motor board and the steering board. I will start assembly tonight. :) <br /><br />
minimaxkit.jpg

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Yes wimp... just like a burger... Looks good.. I'm begining to drool.. and started lookin for smaller motor on ebay today =op

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

dont go under powered... shoot for the 10 horse :) <br /><br />I like the idea of this <br />"with 10 hp and above the planing area diminishes until Minimax becomes airborne and is riding on the cavitation plate." <br /><br />Oh yes I will find something 10 hp + to try it eventually :D <br /><br /><br />anyway anyone know where to get the steering assy with the big pully on the back side for the old style steering, cheap?

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I have one of those steering systems in my garage right now but I'm saving it for my own Minimax... you've got me wanting one too :D .<br /><br />I also have a 9.8hp Merc and a 10hp Seahorse... I gotta go ask the wife...<br /><br />Maybe I'll wait and show her yours before I ask. Paint it real pretty, she might go for it if it has a nice paint job.<br /><br />Where are the rodholders going?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

They still sell them brand new, I don't know where you would look in the States. You could also get it second hand, from an outboard wrecker.<br /><br />I just figured I would make one up from stuff I have lying around my garage, got some big bearings, complete with bolt on mountings, and some 1" round stainless steel. We'll see.....<br /><br />I am tempted to not cut the holes in the cabin area sides, as shown, But put some water tight inspection covers in. And fill the front with foam, just in case it end up upside down in the water.
sincosq.JPG
<br /><br />P.S. I hoard stuff. You never know when that old something or other might be usefull.<br />And yes, my wife just rolls her eyes....alot...

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

This reminds me of a guy who used to hang around here named Derwood. He had an old 14 foot or so aluminum boat named the 'Shade Tree Special' or 'Shady Lady'. He rigged up a steering system out of clothsline rope, wood, bolts, and a lawnmower wheel. He made all kinds of improvements to his boat through a method he called 'trick-bolting'. Apparently he regularly took this boat out on the Ocean in the Florida area. Haven't heard from him in a long time...

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

CalicoKid, I have a lawnmower steering wheel I had intended to use. :) we'll see if I can make it work <br /><br />I opted to not put those holes in there too but i'm just going to seal it without foam... if it gets wet i'll drill a hole and drain it :D <br /><br />p.s. 90% of the hull is finished... gotta fasten the stringers in place and mount the steering wheel board and i'm ready to fiberglass the hull.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

HEy just took a closer look at that budget houseboat and think I'm leaning that way now. Going to figure out a material list and see what the beast would cost. I just glanced at it at first... but after really looking at it it is more like a cabin cruiser I was lookin for. WE'll have to see what the cost is in todays money... :D They also said a 30hp motor will push it 15 mph with great cruisin speed at 8 might have to look for a 50hp.<br />
tn.BudgetHouseboat.jpg
<br /><br />Another thing about your steering... there a good diagram and an easy way to connect steering in the houseboat..might work for yours. Worth a look but can't remember what diagram it is on. and it probably wouldn't take you 45' of cable.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I saw that steering setup... I am planning along those lines :) <br /><br />I like that budget houseboat.. I think the way they have the inside set up is pretty cool.<br /><br />
hull4.jpg

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looking good Dink. I hope mine will look as good :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I noticed that as well... I also like the way the controls are on top of the craft... High enough to see all around. <br /><br />Lookin good... so far... your sure not dinkin around are you...lol

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

nope not dinkin around :D ... lost about 6 hrs of minimax time on work... That job thing really cuts into my play time :)

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, you're cruising along on that! Do you have a throttle control?<br /><br />How much will it weigh without motor and gas when you're done?