To Build a Boat (any boat)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

somewhere around 65 lbs give or take ... This motor wasnt set up for remote control so I might have to redneck it up :) Not sure how i'm going to go about it yet though.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

eh... just get a lawnmower throttle assembly and make it work or even an universal manual choke cable assembly... I think I would test it a few times to make sure it will work.... Hate for ya to get out in the lake stuck at full throttle :p

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, you might want to consider a deadman type throttle, one that will snap shut if you go overboard. And/or a kill tether.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Might go for the deadman type but no kill tether as it would mean altering the ouboard in a way I dont want to... thinking about a rope and pully setup on the side of the motor to operate the lever, so that it will still work properly when the motor is turned one way or the other... its still vague in my head but i'll show yall if it turns out good. be back soon going out to continue on the hull

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Ok... now I'm getting mixed ideas... If I build a houseboat I have to worry about trailer, and everything else. Let alone that with a ski boat and camper already, how much would we use it. But however when we were at the lake last time there was this little 2 person boat that flew around. Wife looked pretty interested in it so I'm stuck between houseboat and this
tn.SportsHydro.jpg
<br />I think I'm leaning towards the hydro cause I like the curves :D <br /> Plus with a 45hp it pushed speeds of 50mph.<br /><br />About your throttle idea... if all else you'll just speed up in the turns... :D

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

mmmmm, the sports hydro does have nice lines, but the minimax is the one for me, it'll keep me sane until the big one's fixed

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Quote: About your throttle idea... if all else you'll just speed up in the turns... <br /><br />Not really, It would move the throttle lever back and forth and as long as I wasnt holding it in place it should just move freely until I push it one way or another. :) <br />Also I bet if you built the inside of the houseboat nice enough you might just end up selling the camper. Lake sleeping is free. Gotta keep the ski boat though :D .<br /><br />Lark: I like some of the other boats better but I'm kind of an instant gratification kind of guy and didnt care for the complexity of them and the weight and time spent building. Work space is limited too. <br /><br />Hull is built except handboard and motor board though pieces are cut and ready. I am slopping resin on the whole inside of the boat and in cracks and crevices before I put the glass in place and seal it up tight. Just waiting for the first batch of resin to dry and i'm not entirely motivated tonight :)

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

All in all it still looks like I'm out for a 50hp motor... <br /><br />NOT motivated??? it was that darn 6 hours of thinking about building it....and not being able to.<br /><br />You wanted a size you could throw in the back of the truck..... <br />How you going to paint it... or haven't thought of it??

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not sure... probably a lot like the canoe with a white base and some blue stripes somehow since I have a lot of those two colors of paint in the garage :) <br /><br />I might get out yet tonight and mix up another batch of resin to slap around on it

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm thinking of varnishing mine. I made the frames today. After checking all my recycled timber, I will have to buy the two sheets of ply to make the outer skin. <br />This may sound silly, but I'm thinking of useing 4mm thick ply, with a 6mm (1/4") piece placed in the cockpit to stop me putting my foot through the floor.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

let us know if it works and never ever drag it over rocks on the beach :D Keep us posted with pics too... I wanna see if you make the same mistake as I did with where the fore cross piece gets mounted. :)

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok, that's a bit obscure, what mistake?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

:D well I think it started with the measurements on the sides of the fore cross piece is and I dont remember the exact measurements but they ended up being around 1.5 inches... well where they meet with the side pieces they were going to stick way above the sides so I moved it back some and made it permenant... mistake... had to shorten the stringers and lengthen the nose piece to compensate but its all coming together now. Also made a mistake of leaving my top plate outside last night and it sprinkled outside... my top port side delaminated and ruined the whole piece... luckily I always over buy everything and had an extra sheet to cut another top piece out today. I coated the whole interior with resin to help waterproof it all a lil should moisture get inside. Now I need to fiberglass the cockpit seams and i'm ready to put the top on. I'm getting sick of fiberglass work... its too messy.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Sure smells good tho don't it??? Messy it is, but it's gotto be done.<br /><br />AND YA weren't suppose to tell him... took all the fun outta it....lol just kiddin..<br /><br />When I get to mine I think it will go varnish on top and a dark color on the bottom. :confused:

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thats a worry that it delaminated that quickly. <br /><br />The exterior plywood over here, is all A-Bonded, the same as marine ply. The only differrence is the lack of anti-fungal treatment, and the ocassional knot in the layers.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Were cheap.... and buy cheap... I too have left plywood out... to even find morning dew has screwed it up... Nothin pisses ya off more then when you want to use it in the morning to awake to find it ruined... even yet.. if it's cut for what you want to use it for.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

guess I got lucky... all the recycled stuff I have is from a shipping crate for a Surface Mount placement robot. <br /><br />They didn't think twice about useing marine ply to box up a 1/2 million dollar machine :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It was just in one spot but yes it surprised me too... also this stuff is soaking up the resin like crazy.. wierd... hoping if this stuff is that poor grade that soaking up the resin like it is that it will help it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hey Wimperdink!<br /><br />Man, no flies on you! Every time I turn around you got another project going. This one looks really fun. <br /><br />I was looking at the photos in the links you provided, especially the one of the guy driving the boat kneeling facing forward. Looks uncomfortable. <br /><br />How about a modification to use a simple plastic bucket seat, the type used on go-karts or cafateria chairs. Cheap and water proof! It would need the steering column extended, but that should not be a problem. Plus the wheel gives you something to hang onto! <br /><br />I thought you said it was on shareaproject but I couldn't find it. Go a link?<br /><br />Keep it up! You are inspiring all of us.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm to lazy to setup the shareaproject SO i just put the pics on my local server and let ya have attem :) <br /><br />I have a walmart special seat that i've been waiting to do something with and now I have something for it :) <br />
0002663345975_215X215.jpg
<br /><br />I'm going to have to find a 3 gallon gas tank on ebay cause the 6 gallon one I have now will eat up a lot of cockpit space.<br /><br />I'll get some more pictures tonight when I'm finished and add them.<br /><br />Located here.<br /><br />I just finished sealing the bottom edges inside the cockpit, gotta do the four corners and i'm ready to put the lid on it. I have a question though... what is the best way to fiberglass around the edges of the sharp lip without getting mega airbubbles?