1988 Starcraft Mariner MR 220 V rebuild

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Every last one, I almost miss that smell of old dirty gym socks and moldy cheese when wheeling it off. :rolleyes:
Now that you mention it, it is exactly like that!!! lol

SHSU

dizzyspots

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Best method of removing foam...just sawzall into sections and keep breaking it off in chunks..tried the short,square shovel..not much hell?? Pressure wash after...any ever used "Zep-A-Lume" for cleaning the corrosion off in prep for repair and sealing?

Attachments

• 20210202_110127.jpg
    20210202_110127.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210202_110134.jpg
    20210202_110134.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20210202_110129.jpg
    20210202_110129.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20

dizzyspots

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just looked up the MSDS on Zep a lume...pretty nasty stuff..like complete bunny suit nasty...Next idea...

SHSU

Just looked up the MSDS on Zep a lume...pretty nasty stuff..like complete bunny suit nasty...Next idea...
Sadly think you had the right idea with the shovel. I have seen people use cheap roto tillers, but that was on a large ship and had literal rooms filled with foam.

SHSU

dizzyspots

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got the majority of the foam out...NINE 55gal trash bags..phew! Now hands and knees for the other bits...then pressure washer..will pressure washer get the remainder? Or is it wire wheel and scraping?

Attachments

• 20210210_161547.jpg
    20210210_161547.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 118
  • 20210210_161542.jpg
    20210210_161542.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 20210210_161535.jpg
    20210210_161535.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

MNhunter1

Ensign
The foam removal and the paint stripping are the two tasks I am not looking forward to on my MR180. My other two Starcrafts both had the foam sheets, not the pour in, so removal was rather easy. And...with the new stripper material available today without all the good stuff, not sure how its going to compare to the old stuff I used before. I still have a small supply remaining, so I'll save that for the trouble spots.

Following on the residual foam clean up as I'll be there at some point in the future as well.

SHSU

Got the majority of the foam out...NINE 55gal trash bags..phew! Now hands and knees for the other bits...then pressure washer..will pressure washer get the remainder? Or is it wire wheel and scraping?

Can't hurt to try with power washer, but would still want to wire wheel back behind the foam. Want to make sure all the corrosion is out and no pitting is hidden under anything.

SHSU

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Can't hurt to try with power washer, but would still want to wire wheel back behind the foam. Want to make sure all the corrosion is out and no pitting is hidden under anything.

SHSU
That pour in foam is the bane of AL boats, not sure why anyone would want to use it. Yeah it does look like a large amount of crud and corrosion is under the foam from the pics.

20210210_161547-jpg.333596

SHSU

Yes there is...
Know anyone with a media blaster? I had the exterior and some of the interior done that way. I didn't have foam, but the media blaster should make short work of any as well.

SHSU

dizzyspots

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Lots of pitting...some holes. After the wire wheel and the vinegar wash...best way to care of the pitting craters?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Lots of pitting...some holes. After the wire wheel and the vinegar wash...best way to care of the pitting craters?
Maybe not the best in this case, vinegar works great for minor pitting and total AL cleaning to neutralize normal corrosion. You may need to go to something a little stronger in the acid dept. Since I've not used any acid I'll defer to others who have like @classiccat.

SHSU

Any pictures of the craters? I used Vinegar and Ketchup for minor ones too. I did try some rustoleum rust stop, but don't think it did any better then the vinegar/ketchup.

SHSU

dizzyspots

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Find a thread on the restoration pages talking about alodine and ACF50...a spray that stops and converts aluminum corrosion..widely used and FAA approved in the aircraft industry...???

dizzyspots

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Or am I overthinking this...repair holes and coat the aluminum "acne" with epoxy paint?

SHSU

Or am I overthinking this...repair holes and coat the aluminum "acne" with epoxy paint?

For me, just use what you have on hand or can easily get. As long as you clean out the pitting and neutralize as best you can, back filling with JB Weld. You should be fine.

That is just my 2 cents...

SHSU

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Maybe not the best in this case, vinegar works great for minor pitting and total AL cleaning to neutralize normal corrosion. You may need to go to something a little stronger in the acid dept. Since I've not used any acid I'll defer to others who have like @classiccat.
I used mechanical (Nyalox cup brush & a dremel to dig) means to remove the visible alumina (Al2O3).

I then surgically attacked each area using the West Systems 860 Aluminum etch kit (MSDS link). Part A is a phosphoric acid for cleaning and Part B is a Chromate conversion step similar to Alodine. I didn't want these strong acids to get in seams &/or under ribs etc which is why I was very surgical with it.

dizzyspots

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As we move forward, Im headed out Wed Am for the pressure washer endeavor...as we clean the inside of the hull and we select products, are we looking to just seal the boat or are we looking to also add strength to those areas eaten by corrosion. I understand patching and sealing any penetrations.

What about the "cratering"? Are we trying to fill that?

Seems like Marine Tex/ JB Weld paste is going to take a bunch of "plastering" to cover large areas of the hull.

Is there a product in the "paint" category that would go further to cover a 7 ft x 16 ft area? Thanks to the Starmada brain trust, you folks are amazing!! Cheers Mike

SHSU

As we move forward, Im headed out Wed Am for the pressure washer endeavor...as we clean the inside of the hull and we select products, are we looking to just seal the boat or are we looking to also add strength to those areas eaten by corrosion. I understand patching and sealing any penetrations.

What about the "cratering"? Are we trying to fill that?

Seems like Marine Tex/ JB Weld paste is going to take a bunch of "plastering" to cover large areas of the hull.

Is there a product in the "paint" category that would go further to cover a 7 ft x 16 ft area? Thanks to the Starmada brain trust, you folks are amazing!! Cheers Mike

7 x 16 ft?????? the pitting that bad under the foam? Never had the expanding foam in mine so can't say, but that seems like a massive amount of pitting.

Is it true pitting or just the appearance as you haven't wired wheeled it yet?

I only had a couple areas, and those I backfilled with JB weld. My reasoning is it will help add protection to prevent any future corrosion.

Maybe proper prep and backfill with epoxy peanut butter?? Will have to defer to others with experience on large area corrosion.

SHSU

dizzyspots

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Headed over to the boat in the AM to pressure wash it and get the last junks of foam out. I'll be able to get a better look at what's actually there. There are multiple penetrations of the transom skin. I believe we are going to skin that entire area with .050 5000 series aluminum to give it a much cleaner look rather that a patchwork quilt of individual repairs...thoughts?