Wellcraft 170 Classic -89 full restoration

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Wellcraft 170 Classic -89 full restoration

The cap is temporarily on the boat and the transom is glued! 003 (4).jpg016.jpg009 (2).jpg012 (2).jpg013 (2).jpg

Btw, there weren't the holes cut at the old transom, which allow the steering move of the drive. I have read here, that there should be the holes?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That's about as good as it gets!!!!
images

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks!! I still need to put the csm and cloth to the edges and then put the "skin" to the whole transom. Is 2 layers of CSM and cloth enough for the edges? How about the skin?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd tab the transom with 1 layer of Csm and 1 Layer of Cloth. Then I'd apply a full layer of Csm, full layer of 1708 another layer of CSM and a final layer of 1708. She'll be a TANK!!!!

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I'll do that, but I don't have the 1708 so I think I'll apply full layer of CSM, full layer of cloth, another CSM and another cloth, Should be strong enough? :D At least stronger than what was there before :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Duh, I meant Cloth where I said 1708. You can't trust us Old Dumb Okie Americans. We forget A LOT!!!!!!:blue:

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not much new to report about this project since my holiday ended last week, but the transom is now tabbed and tomorrow she'll get skinned. I decided to tab it with two layers of CSM and two layers of cloth. Tomorrow two layers of CSM and cloth for the skin and she's READY! :)

006 (4).jpg009 (3).jpg010 (3).jpg012 (3).jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yessiree!!! Now that's a fine job of Glassin for some Finnish Guy!!!!!!

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

015 (3).jpg And the Transom is ready!! Now onto the stringers! Man that CSM sucks up a LOT of resin, I run out of resin today, luckily I managed to get the transom all wetted. I wish I had bought that 1708 (or whatever it is called here in Finland), That would actually require half less of work... Now I have to cut the csm, cut the cloth, wet the csm, wet the cloth :D

Wood, You mean that it is glassed well considering that it has been glassed by a Finn? :D Hahha :D

Btw, what does Craft mean?? I mean WellCraft, does it mean something? :D

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Craft can be a noun or verb. A boat is sometimes called a "water craft" like an airplane is called an aircraft. Craft as a verb means to make. I think the WellCraft company was attempting to play on both meanings. Well crafted (in their opinion :)) and calling it a "well craft", or "good vessel".

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes I know Wellcraft is the Brand of this boat, I meant that does it have some kind of meaning also, like GWPSR here explained :)

So If I say a boat is well crafted it means a boat is well built?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I think he's on the right Track...Well meaning...Good and Craft meaning one of two things either Craft as in Boat or Craft as in Craftsmanship. Good Boat, Good Craftsmanship either way I think they're inferring that their product is a Good One. If I had a Boat Company I'd call it "Bad Boats" cuz in America when you say something's "BAD" it means it's good!!!! Now figure that one out!!!!!

That's One BAD Boat!!!!!

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I see :) Tomorrow I'll go to buy some resin, I have now spent about 20 litre wich is 5,3 US gallon and I have so far done JUST the transom! :D I guess it will require 15-20 gallons before this project is ready.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That's typical for a rebuild for a boat your size.

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last weekend I wasn't very effective since it was the midsummer fest here in Finland and I decided to relax and celebrate :) We made a boating trip to one island with my girlfriend and my brother-in-law and his girlfriend.

003.jpg004.jpg The boat is my brother-in-law's.. I am dreaming that some day I will be cruising on there with my OWN boat :D hehe

But I did got something done, I have now cutted the rear stringers. So, is the process same as it was with the transom? First coat them with resin, then glue them in, and then coat them with csm and cloth?
I think I am going to glue the rear stringers now when the cap is on the boat. Then I remove the cap again and glue the rest of the stringers and the deck also.

What is your recommendation about the glue? PB or PL?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Check my First link. It has what you need to know about installing your stringers. PB is my choice. Make sure to bed the stringers in it. Don't want any hard spots on the hull. I'd use CSM and a Minimum of 2 layers of cloth.

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Major progress done this weekend! The rear stringers are now bedded and tabbed in. I read your link Woodonglass and did it like it was told there. I am pretty happy with how it came off. I rounded the top of the stringers a little and the glassing was pretty easy, no air bubbles! :) I put 2 layers of CSM and 2 layers of cloth to the main stringers, but only 1 of each to the side stringers, I think it should be enough.

014 (3).jpg016 (2).jpg018.jpg025.jpg024.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmmm, I'd say that's some nice glassin! Especially the tops of the stringers and the coves on the hull. Based on that, your boat will be on the water for Decades, if you give her proper care and maintenance. Your skills are commendable!!!

"Hyvin Tehty"

images

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you, I have to say, I have a VERY GOOD teacher!! ;) And yes, I am going to take very good care of her and never gonna sell her!
Btw, what tool do you use to spread the PB when you are making the fillets? I am using this "licker" (I don't know the english word for it, but in finnish it is "nuolija" wich means licker), it is the way to go!! The fillet becomes nice and smooth, don't need much of sanding when it cures!

nuolija_i_0601_089.jpg