Tore the transom ...how to repair? (pics)

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tore the transom ...how to repair? (pics)

And some misc. stainless steel screws (Still not sure if I will screw or rivet the deck back in)

Couldn't believe the price at Lowes in the US (just across the border from me).

$5 get's you 35-50 screws in a pack, depending on size / length. Here in Ottawa they would be $0.50 - $0.80 a piece!

Starcraft-2013-Jul-22-5807.jpg

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

And finally a little progress.

The new transom being test fitted (man is it a tight fit!)

Starcraft-2013-Jul-22-5808.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Jul-22-5810.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Jul-22-5811.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

BV - It looks like you could trim a little in the lower corners. The hull tucks a bit there.

SigSaurP229

Commander

if the rivets aren't leaking leave them. To me it wasn't worth the risk of drilling one crooked.

GA_Boater

I'm with Sig on the rivets. Starcraft riveting is sometimes suspect, but mainly from looking uneven. No leak - No replace.

jbcurt00

Staff member

After you get a good center punch spot, try a split point 135* drill bit & bounce the trigger until you get a 'good' drill bit divot into the head of the rivet:
5003b.gif
Might take a couple bounces or 4 to get a good divot. But once you get the feel for the amount of trigger pull needed, it'll only take 1 or 2....

I have a Bosch set. Really like them. Almost as steady in metal as brad point bits are in wood. Drilled 1/2" coupler bolt holes in the Jet's gator trailer tongue.

Slowly engage the variable speed trigger once you get a divot started in the rivet head.

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

BV - It looks like you could trim a little in the lower corners. The hull tucks a bit there.

Thanks GA. I think it's a trick of the camera angle though. Here's a couple of shots from a different angle. It fits well down in the channel:

Starcraft-2013-Jul-23-5820.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Jul-23-5823.jpg

It turns out that the tight area was here, in the top corners at the end of the gunwales:

Starcraft-2013-Jul-23-5824.jpg

First I peeled back the rub strip and unscrewed the rub rail strip so I could de-rivet the gunwales quite a bit:

Starcraft-2013-Jul-23-5826.jpg

This gained me some clearance but it was still too tight and I don't like forcing things. So I put a zip disk in the angle grinder and trimmed the ends of the gunwales a bit, as well as removing the little brackets that screw into the transom. This allowed the new transom to easily go in and out.

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

if the rivets aren't leaking leave them. To me it wasn't worth the risk of drilling one crooked.

I'm with Sig on the rivets. Starcraft riveting is sometimes suspect, but mainly from looking uneven. No leak - No replace.

OK guys, thanks. If they didn't leak and/or are not loose to the tough, I'll leave 'em and just Gluvit 'em.

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

After you get a good center punch spot, try a split point 135* drill bit & bounce the trigger until you get a 'good' drill bit divot into the head of the rivet:
Might take a couple bounces or 4 to get a good divot. But once you get the feel for the amount of trigger pull needed, it'll only take 1 or 2....

I have a Bosch set. Really like them. Almost as steady in metal as brad point bits are in wood. Drilled 1/2" coupler bolt holes in the Jet's gator trailer tongue.

Slowly engage the variable speed trigger once you get a divot started in the rivet head.

Great tip JB - that's helped quite a bit.

I have all the rivets out now that I intend to replace and didn't make too much of a mess. Only had to overdrill 2 or 3 to 1/4". Glad I bought some 1/4" solid rivets too!

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

So the next 3 tasks are riveting, epoxying the floor, and doing the Gluvit.

So I've been procrastinating a bit.

First I made some small patch disks out of some .040 T6 aluminum sheet that I bought. These will be used to seal all the extraneous holes people seem to end up drilling in the transom. I removed the pilot bit from a hole saw and cut out the patches.

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5827.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5828.jpg

The plan is to use panel bonding epoxy to bond them to the inside of the transom aluminum

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5829.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5830.jpg

Then from the outside I will fill in the hole with some JB Weld which can be sanded and painted

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5832.jpg

Last edited:

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Then I made a very simple bracket for my bilge pump. I won't ever win any awards for fabrication but it will keep the pump in place. The boat's PO just had it flopping around on its side down in the bilge. Plus it was made from scrap and cost $0

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5833.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5834.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5836.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Glad the tip helped w/ the rivets. Even having done it before, I get an 'Ah' moment when I finally get it right :facepalm:

Great work on the transom fitment.

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Then some frustration hit.

I discovered that I had cut the aft floor section about 3/4 to an inch to narrow (measured abeam) so it wouldn't sit well on the lip of the hull and therefore the corners flexed.

So I needed to get a new sheet.

The first sheet I bought at a specialty store (because they were the only place that had the marine grade ply for the transom). I paid $35 for a 4x8 sheet. The quality didn;t seem that great to me (see pics later). But that store is a long way away, so for the replacement I just went to the local lumber yard. I asked the kid working there for "the best grade 1/2" exterior plywood (non treated) that you have". He charged me $52 for something he said was "spruce, fire grade". It was late and had been a long day so I didn't look to closely at it when it was loaded. Got home and the next morning realized it was crap! FULL of big knot holes. No good side.

So I took it back and explained what I was really after. The girl working sent me to the back to get a sheet of "fir, good one side" and refunded me $18 as it was cheaper.

Interestingly, and amazingly, this turned out to be the nicest sheet of ply I have ever seen. I can't even tell which side is supposed to be the good side - they are both good.

Pics:

The original sheet from the specialty store. This is the "good" side.

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5837.jpg

The "bad" side:

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5840.jpg

But the "good" side had a lot of these ovals glued in:

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5838.jpg

And a bunch of this filler used to make the "good" side:

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5839.jpg

I didn't take pics of the "fire" ply...but trust me it was terrible.

Now, here is the cheapest sheet, from the local place:

One side:

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5841.jpg

and the other:

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5842.jpg

Now, I'm happy to have a nice sheet for the aft floor. But I wish I had known that the specialty store would sell poor quality and overpriced at that, and I wish I had gotten the more helpful (knowledgable) girl at the local place - because that way I would have bought 3 really nice sheets for all the floors!

Live and learn I guess.

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

And the rest of my shop time I spent trying to convert my air hammer to a rivet gun.

I chopped the end of a chisel, then used a die grinder with a carbide bit to hollow out or contour the end a bit to sorta match the profile of the rounded "traditional" head on the solid rivets. Finally I added a small inline regulator to try and control the hits.

Tomorrow is rivet day - no more avoiding it!

Pics of the home-brew tool.

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5849.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5847.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Jul-24-5848.jpg

SigSaurP229

Commander

Great job she is def moving right along. That was a good looking sheat of ply, and I can certainly appreciate the enginuity of fabbing of stuff great job and you will be back on the water before you know it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just catching up on this one. I had no idea they made a 14' V5. What a cool little boat! You're doing some great work on it.

GA_Boater

Hey Bill - I like the holesaw backing plate idea. :thumb: And making a rivet gun - that's a :thumb::thumb:

Too bad you didn't find the girl the first trip. She obviously knows good wood.

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

jb, Sig, ez, GA, thanks guys for the kind words and sticking with me through this. I can't tell you how much it helps to have encouragement like that...gets ya over the humps.

Got the first coat of Epoxy-Plus on floors and transom today and am just waiting on my buck-babe (aka: shmbo, the Admiral, CINC-Homefleet, My darling wife) to get home from work so we can do the riveting. Looking forward to the "putting things back together" stage. Pics to follow a bit later.

jbcurt00

Staff member

just waiting on my buck-babe (aka: shmbo, the Admiral, CINC-Homefleet, My darling wife) to get home from work so we can do the riveting.
I think it's She Who Must Be Obeyed. What's the 'H' stand for :watermelon:

You left out 2: Warden & Fun Governor :eek:

Best of luck w/ the home built riveter. Looks up to the task.