Took the head off my motor, heres a video explaining everything.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Took the head off my motor, heres a video explaining everything.

Are you sure that smoke is coming from the rubber hose? Looks to me like the by-pass cover gasket might be leaking. Make sure the 4 bolts holding the by-pass cover are tightened down.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I torqued them all down,play the video from about 27 seconds, I think at 28 seconds in it looks like a little volcano of smoke coming from the top of the hose, close to where it connects to the port cover. The neighboring hose was leaking also, it was split on the end so I had to cut about 1/4" off of it to get a good end. I think I will wind up replacing all of these 13 year old hoses sooner than later just to be on the safe side.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Well it's good that you found the cause for the smoke. Those lines are part of your fuel recirculation system and tap into the by-pass passages in the motor. Still, I would think that the motor would try to start......back fire, pop or do something. Check for spark?

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just trimmed the leaky end off that hose and that cured the smoke situation. Now its doing a little bit of backfiring when attempting to start it. I think maybe I need to re-adjust the timing but at the moment I'm by myself so that will have to wait. Off timing will produce backfiring won't it?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Not sure how far it would have to be to cause a back fire, but I would think it would have to be way off to cause it to not start and backfire. A few degrees here or there shouldn't cause your symptoms. It would have to be off by 15 or 20 degrees or more. Check the timing and depending on what you find, go from there. Sounds like you've got spark.

Since you're alone, and if you're looking for things to check, you can check to see if the flywheel has sheared the key and shifted out of sync. Turn the flywheel to the 0? mark. Pull #1 plug out. Check to see if the piston it at it's closest point to the spark plug or TDC. You may have to turn the flywheel a bit in either direction to make sure the piston is at Top Dead Center when the timing mark is lined up with the 0? mark on the flywheel. If the piston is not at TDC with the timing mark lined up with 0? on the flywheel, the flywheel has shifted out of position.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When you compression checked it, could you see the spark plugs firing? In the video it sounds like a no spark or no fuel issue. I'm really glad that it held together, I should have directed you to the break in procedure before you ran it. However, that urge to floor it is pretty overwhelming ;) and I suspect that 40mph is about right for your boat. You might try timming the motor up a bit and see if that gains you anything, it looked pretty far down. Remember, when in doubt trim it out.

So, I would check for spark, and you can do that alone. Check for fuel delivery and spark by squirting a small amount of premix into each plug hole one at a time and try starting it. If it tries to start but will not stay running, it could be fuel. Make sure your kill switch is not on, and recheck all grounds.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Turn the flywheel to the 0? mark. Pull #1 plug out. Check to see if the piston it at it's closest point to the spark plug or TDC. You may have to turn the flywheel a bit in either direction to make sure the piston is at Top Dead Center when the timing mark is lined up with the 0? mark on the flywheel. If the piston is not at TDC with the timing mark lined up with 0? on the flywheel, the flywheel has shifted out of position.

I just did that, everything checks out there. I guess the next thing is checking for spark, how can I do that alone though? Don't I need someone to crank it while I'm at the plugs?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Make sure the throttle is in neutral, as this procedure bypasses the neutral safety switch. If it's in gear, the propeller will spin. You can imagine what it would happen if your foot comes to contact with it. Also remove the plugs so the motor doesn't actually start. With the ignition key on (this enables the ignition circuitry), take a jumper wire and connect one end to the battery cable connection on the starter solenoid (not the one that goes to the starter). Take the other end of the wire and momentarily touch it to the small terminal on the starter solenoid that has the Yellow wire. This will momentarily engage the starter. This will enable you to check for spark.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

My wife just got home so I should be able to do it the easy way in a bit. Another question though, what is this switch at the throttle box? The stickers been like that forever so I've never really known, something to do with the fuel?
2012-05-21_11_59_54.jpeg

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I'm not familiar with that particular control box. I don't know.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have spark on all four cylinders. After testing spark I drizzled a little fuel into each cylinder and then put the plugs back in and she fired right up, just for 2-3 seconds. I guess it immediately burnt off the fuel I poured in and the rest is getting cut off somewhere. Also seems like my starter is on its way out so I doubt I'll be rechecking my timing anytime soon. I worked it pretty good this morning and it wasn't in the best shape before the rebuild anyhow. Maybe tomorrow after its rested it'll feel up to it, but I guess its time to shop for a new one. Any thoughts on the fuel issue? Could it be the fuel pump itself? I know the carbs need to be adjusted, but I doubt that anything got sucked up into them, I have an inline filter and a water/fuel filter/ seperator between my gas tank and the primer bulb. The needles on both carbs are also brand new.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure your kill switch is not on, and recheck all grounds.

As far as I know I am the kill switch! The only thing near the throttle that I am uncertain of is the knob in the picture I posted earlier (post 169)

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I think you've discovered your problem. No gas to the motor. Bad fuel pump diaphragm, maybe the one way check valve in the primer bulb. Also....correct me if I'm wrong....looks like there is no hose clamp on the outlet side of the fuel pump. The hose that goes from the pump to the carbs. You should have one if there isn't one. If it's any consolation, this problem is a lot simpler to fix than what you just went through!

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll pull the water pump off and check it out, will it be obvious if its bad? As far as the clamps go, yeah I have to put a bunch back on I just figured I'd do it when I'm sure I won't be disconnecting anything anymore. The motoro actually had zip ties on everything previously, but I think clamps are the better way to go.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes not so obvious. In your case, if the fuel pump is the cause, it'll probably be obvious because it's not pumping. Small tear or hole in the diaphragm is all it takes. The Sierra diaphragm kit for your pump should include the check valves which are small plastic and rubber disks. Pay close attention on how they are assembled and how the gaskets themselves are oriented when you take it apart.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

One thing I noticed in your video is your idle looked a little low in neutral. Try raising idle to 900-1000 in neutral and set mixture screws to 1 1/4 to be safe until you make final adjustments to see if you see improvement. Are you using fast idle to start?

tater76

A fuel pump kit is relatively cheap for your motor, like $12-$14 bucks I think. Do that, but also check the inlet nipple on the pump housing (where the gas line from the tank plugs into it). I have seen a few crack right at the base of the nipple, and this causes it to suck air. If your pump is old, and you add an inline fuel filter and water seperator it causes alot of stress on the weak pump. A new kit usually fixes this immediately.

As for checking for spark when alone, here is how its done....
1. Pull all the plugs
2. Insert plugs back into spark plug boots/wires.
3. Ground all plugs with your handy dandy peice if wire.
4. Position the plugs so they can be seen by you while sitting in the drivers seat.
5. Crank the motor and watch the plugs.

You will be able to clearly see them fire. This is exactly what you have to do to compression test also.

tater76

Its hard to tell from the pic, but that could quite possibly be the kill switch. Most have a red looking strap on them. However, since you have spark it can be ruled out.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

A fuel pump kit is relatively cheap for your motor, like $12-$14 bucks I think. Do that, but also check the inlet nipple on the pump housing (where the gas line from the tank plugs into it). I have seen a few crack right at the base of the nipple, and this causes it to suck air. If your pump is old, and you add an inline fuel filter and water seperator it causes alot of stress on the weak pump. A new kit usually fixes this immediately.

This is a good point, I guess it could have gotten surplus air in there just from me firing it up without having all my clamps and zip ties back in place.... I took the fuel pump off and inspected, other than being old (not sure how/ when previous owner did anything) it 'looks' good. I cleaned it up and sqirted the two springs with a shot of WD and wiped down all the internal gaskets and components. I will order another kit too, iboats has them for $8. In the mean time I'll see if this will get her running once I get all the clamps and ties back on. Of course its pouring out again so its not going to happen today though.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

BTW, the inline fuel filters been there since before I owned it, I added the water fuel seperator sometime around january. I also replaced the fuel line and primer bulb, I need to shorten the fuel line a bit, maybe the extra length causes the fuel pump to work harder too, not sure, but it makes sense.