Took the head off my motor, heres a video explaining everything.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Took the head off my motor, heres a video explaining everything.

Well at this point I'm kinda running in circles here. I put new plugs in today and there was no change. I did note that when running, if I pull either plug wire #3 or #4 the engine cuts out, if I pull either #1 or #2 one at a time or both at the same time, the engine continues running and exactly the same. They both have spark, I zapped myself a few times as well as using a cheapo spark tester from Harbor Frieght. I need to wait for the new starter to get here before I can do anything else, the one I have on there was one I made out of two junk starters and I think its already run its course. I'm going to pick up a new compression tester in the next few days to and compare it against the junk one I have. Hopefully compression will still check out.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Check the compression, make sure that the top carburetor is getting gas and the fuel mixture needle valve is set the same as the bottom. Make sure that there is no gas leaking out from the top carburetor vent hole. If that all checks out, you may have a broken reed petal under the top carb, or a hose that's come off? Make sure the 4 bolts for each of the by-pass covers for #1 and #2 cylinders have not come loose and causing a leak.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fuel mixture valve is the screw on the outside of the carbs, correct? If so, then yes, right or wrong, I have them in sync with each other. The vent hole is on the same side of the screw right? What would fuel leaking out of that mean? What would a broken reed petal do?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yes you're right about the fuel mixture and vent hole. Fuel leaking out would mean the needle valve is leaking or the float is set too high.

The reed valves control the flow of the fuel air mixture being sucked in through the carburetors. They act as a one way valve and allow pressure to build up inside the crankcase when the piston starts moving on it's down stoke to push the incoming air/fuel mixture through the by-pass passage and into the combustion chamber. The fact that both #1 and #2 cylinders don't seem to be working correctly, means ( I would think) you would have to have broken reeds for both cylinders. Not likely but not impossible.

I wouldn't assume anything just yet and wait until you check the compression.

chuck palmer

Cadet

fix the force it is easy and they are a good motor. I rebuilt mine it was same as yours broken rings on two cylindersI honed them out put in the standars pistons with the .01 oversized rings three years ago, it has never failed me and it sits outside in north dakota winters and I got it ready for the lake fresh gas charged the ba. and it started befor it turned two revs. went to the lake pulled skiers tubes and fished, sa dpart my new jetskie blew up 2011 model hadn<t been in the water yet...

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try pinching the fuel line to restrict the fuel flow a little. See if it smooths out. If it does you are too rich. If it dies right away you might be too lean.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fact that both #1 and #2 cylinders don't seem to be working correctly, means ( I would think) you would have to have broken reeds for both cylinders. Not likely but not impossible.

I wouldn't assume anything just yet and wait until you check the compression.
Yesterday I took the reeds out and inspected them, all 4 checked out.... Fed Ex should be here today with the new starter so I should be able to get another compression check and see if that still checks out. So basically, when running, if I pull plug wire 3 or 4 it stalls out and plug wires 1 & 2 don't seem to do anything, 1 & 2 should also make it stall out? they both have spark so I don't see how they could not be igniting the fuel in them?

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your motor will run with dead cylinders. It sounds like you have no spark to 1 and 2 from your description. An easier way to tell is to disconnect the fuel line feeding the pump and run the carbs dry. Then take a small amount of premix and shoot it into the top cylinder. Try to start it, and if it starts or tries to then you know your spark is good, and the issue is fuel delivery. Repeat that with all four cylinders. I think another spark check is in order once you get the new starter.

Dead cylinders will cause the kind of running you are experiencing.

Torch

Cadet

Swick, we're root'n for you.........hang in there!!!!!! Don't overlook the simple things.........

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your motor will run with dead cylinders. It sounds like you have no spark to 1 and 2 from your description. An easier way to tell is to disconnect the fuel line feeding the pump and run the carbs dry. Then take a small amount of premix and shoot it into the top cylinder. Try to start it, and if it starts or tries to then you know your spark is good, and the issue is fuel delivery. Repeat that with all four cylinders. I think another spark check is in order once you get the new starter.

Dead cylinders will cause the kind of running you are experiencing.

Well, what I'm thinking, maybe the quality of spark isn't there because there is definitely spark. I've zapped myself a bunch of times unplugging the wires while running. I've also run the engine with a spark tester between the plug and wire and physically watched the spark in the window of the tester. Today I took off the port whole cover from #1 and looked inside while turning the flyweel, the piston moves correctly, rings in place, a little oil and fuel in the port. I also got the "new starter", didn't work out of the box! So I rebuilt my old one (again) and got it running briefly but the starter gets real hot real fast so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to give it another shot. Tonight I imagine I will be arguing with an ebay seller over who's going to pay for return shipping!

Torch- thanks man, I really appreciate the support from everyone on here. In the past I didn't feel bad about running the engine when it wasn't 100% (becasue it came to me in horrible shape), but now that I've put all the work into it I'd like to know what it feels like to own something that does what its meant to do!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

It's not too difficult to check the components involved in the ignition system.

1. Check and make sure the magnets under the flywheel are not broken or missing. If OK go to step 2.

2. Make sure the bullet connectors for the stator wires, White/Green or Green/White are making good contact where they plug together. While you have the wires disconnected, measure the resistance. It should be between 500 - 700 Ohms. If not within range, replace the stator. If disconnecting and cleaning and re-connecting has no affect, go to step 3.

3. Disconnect the Black/White Kill Circuit wires from the CDM (coil packs) to see if this has any affect. NOTE: This will disable the ability to stop the motor by turning the key off. Just choke the motor to stall it out, or cover the intake openings with your hand or something else on the carburetors to stall it out. If this makes a difference, reconnect one wire at a time if you can until you get to the one that is causing the problem. Replace the CDM that is causing the problem. If no affect, go to step 4.

4. Swap CDM's for #1 and #3 cylinders. If problem moves, replace the CDM for #3 cylinder. If no change, do the same thing with #2 and #4 CDM's. If still no change go to step 5.

5. Disconnect the yellow wires going to the voltage regulator. If no affect, then most likely, everything in the ignition system is OK. Sit back, relax, have a beer and start looking at the carburetor.

Torch

Cadet

Any Luck Swick? What did you find?? Keep us posted!!!

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any Luck Swick? What did you find?? Keep us posted!!!

Sorry guys, I've been meaning to log in. I had to send back the other starter for replacement and I'm still waiting for the new one to come in. In the mean time the rebuilt one I have on there is tempermental so I haven't bothered to mess with it anymore. I'm hoping to get the replacement in the next few days, but I don't have a tracking # for the replacement so I really don't know. I'll keep everyone posted and I'll try and get some more of the rebuild videos together sooon.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi guys. Sorry I've been a stranger lately, in laws are in town. On top of that the second starter got here and by the time I installed it I found out the armature was not functional. Go figure. Needless to say its been sent back for a refund this time, the waiting game continues. Can't believe after all that work I'm being held up by this. Anyhow, once the inlaws go home I'll be back on and we'll get this thing figured out. Hope everyones having a great summer so far.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Eventually you'll get it squared away.

Hello all.
I've been lurking on this wonderful site for months now. I can't thank you enough for all the info that on this site and for guys like swick to take the time to video... I found out today (thanks to this site) that I also have a fractured piston. I will be starting a thread tomoro with pics , history and checks I've done so far
My question is, swick was told that he should of put the lever in forward gear before starting the disassembly of the engine..... Do I put it wot or just to the first click..
Once again, thank you so much for all the info this site has to offer and please watch for my thread

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I put mine in WOT, but as long as its in forward gear I guess it shouldn't matter.