Took the head off my motor, heres a video explaining everything.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Took the head off my motor, heres a video explaining everything.

I get alot of customers asking me to install a filter between the carb and pump, and I suggest it also. However, when they ask for it I usually sell them a pump kit too. The 120 I just rebuilt ended up needing one too after initial fire up. It wouldn't run without hesitation, and had miss and bog issues, but after the new kit it ran like a fresh rebuild should.

I forgot to ask if you replaced the water pump impeller? if not, now is the time.

tater76

Forgot to add, you can check the fuel pump body for cracks or leaks by pumping the bulb really hard. If there are leaks the pressure will show you where they are.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats good advice tater. I'll throw it all back together tomorrow and check it out. As for the impeller, I checked it when I pulled the l/u the other day and still looks like new. I put one on every year and I'd be surprised if I used the boat 10 times last year. I have a new one here on stand-by anyhow.

On another note, I was starter shopping on ebay and accidently hit the buy-it-now on the wrong one... I contacted the seller and told him to hold off on shipping it though, it all looks the same, 9 splines and appears to be the same dimensions and covers older 120's. I can't find an OEM part # for the one I need, but this is the one I accidently bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270946659445?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649, looks identical to what I have, think it'll be ok?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

It sure looks like the right one. Hard to tell from pictures though.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well he has it advertised to fit 1990, 91, and 92 120's..... for some reason I find that a lot of 99 120 parts are more scarce or not advertised like other years, I guess because it was the last year, maybe not as many produced. But even here on iboats they don't sell a "1999" 120 starter. Is there any difference between the size of the hole that the starter goes in from the 92 model vs the 99 model? I think even some of the 125's have interchangable parts.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm also assuming that the flywheel hasn't changed in size or teeth between 92 and 99....

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I don't think that there's a difference in the size of the hole, but I think you're in uncharted waters here. Only thing I can think of is the gears on the flywheel, but I think even the flywheels are pretty much the same. I may be wrong but I guess you'll find out.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah I'm thinking the same thing. I'm sure theres some infor on here somewhere about the tooth count on the flywheels, I'll poke around a little more.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

on second thought, this starter has 9 splines and my starter does too, so I guess the tooth count on the flywheel doesn't matter. I guess the only thing that would matter is if they changed the distance between the teeth on the flywheels, the gap between the splines, or the size of the flywheel.

tater76

If you need a starter see my pm to you.

catfishcarl99

been watching this thread for a while good info. i seent the first run and was thinking shouldnt it be taken easy for a while after a rebuild? lol. and i agree. motor looked trimmed way down. prob get more speed with it up a bit.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

been watching this thread for a while good info. i seent the first run and was thinking shouldnt it be taken easy for a while after a rebuild? lol. and i agree. motor looked trimmed way down. prob get more speed with it up a bit.

yeah lesson learned, take it easy at first. I guess I have that "new car" mentality a little, you know the dealer never says take it easy on a brand new engine. Well now I'm waiting for the new fuel pump kit and starter so I guess that was all the fun I was going to have in the mean while anyhow. Figures, the only two things that I didn't rebuild gotta go on me!

catfishcarl99

dont feel bad. i came here to diagnose a cd box on my force. got it fixed my dying issues fixed (motor runs like a new one) got my kill switch hooked back up since is was disconnected by prev owner, found out i have a pull neutral high idle. had boat 8 years and didnt know i could rev it to warm lol. everything going great last two fishig trips were wonderful. even restored the floor this spring and new carpet and all and put a new tire on the trailer to replace a bad one. tonight i was going fishing. the one tire i didnt replace thats 7 years old. valve stem gave out. got it fixed as i had a new stem in the garage and all but the trip got pushed off till tomorrow.

ill be checking back. hope you get it going soon.

Attachments

• SUNP0002.jpg
    SUNP0002.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 0

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

So here's the latest. I got the fuel pump kit today so rebuilt the fuel pump and reinstalled it. I'm waiting on the new starter so while waiting I rebuilt my starter with parts from an old one I had sitting in my work room. I got her started again, but she's running like crap. Compression is good, spark is good, I had to further chase down the fuel issue, I found another one of those black hoses leaking, but not enough to keep it from running. I also found that my water seperator was no good because the rubber ring inside the bowl was broken so I eliminated the water seperator, eliminated the new Attwood lines that I had on it (those things are junk), and I tried adjusting the screws on the sides of the carbs repeatedly. I don't get it. could it be as simple as too much oil, that would explain all the smoke anyway. I can't seem to get the idle down, if I set the idle lower it quits on me, but it seems like its getting too much fuel and she's bouncing all over the place. I will put up a video a little later.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heres the video I took earlier. This is before I finished chasing down fuel issues so it is not as bad, but not much better either. I also rechecked and adjusted the timing today, moved it form 32 to 30. I was wondering about that though, maybe since my starter is less then up to par, the timing reading is off? Or does it matter? I guess the flywheel and the spark are in sync no matter how fast the flywheel spins right? Anyhow, I'm hoping someone can tell me why this thing is running so rough and hoping that the answer doesn't involve tearing it apart again.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

There's a lot of smoke from the extra oil that you put in. Do you know exactly what ratio you're running? It may be as simple as too much oil. Have you tried cleaning up the plugs? Timing stays the same no matter how fast the motor spins just as long as it's fast enough to generate enough juice to fire the coils.

If you think it's getting too much fuel, try disconnecting and plugging up the small fuel supply line that goes to the fuel enrichment solenoid from the top carburetor bowl. If it's not closing properly it can dump extra fuel into the motor.

tater76

I agree with pnwboat, and also wonder if you possibly have water in the fuel due to the faulty seperator? The amount of smoke just looks like excessive oil to me. Did you also put sea foam in the tank? If so it will smoke like that for the entire tank. Sometimes a real heavy mix will cause rough running because it fouls the plugs. If the plugs are clean and sparking, timing is right, compression is good, and the carbs set correctly then the fuel system still has issues. You may be sucking air somewhere?

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm nto sure what ratio was in the tank cause I had a 3/4 tank of 50:1 and I just poured 2 cycle directly into the tank, maybe about 1/4 gallon, and yes there was also at least 1/2 a can of seafoam in there already. I usually dump some in there when its been sitting for a while but I did recently add about 1/2 can.

So today I disconnected the fuel line from the tank and put it in a gas gan of about a 50:1 ratio, give or take a little oil. That cleared up the smoke issue, but not the idle issue and shaking issue. I'm still trying to figure out why its shaking, Tater you think air would do that? I don't get it, it ran so perfectly in my first fire up, I just watched that video again and not a single shake or anything. How many RPM's should I be idling at? Idle in the driveway vs idle in the water? Well here's the latest, let me know what you guys think:
Oh yeah, I pointed out in the video that the carb adapters seem to gather a lot of condensation, is that normal?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

That condensation is normal. Depends on how much humidity there is in the air.
Take a close look at the plugs to see if there is any difference. Also can try pulling one plug wire off at a time while it's idling. The motor should slow down or maybe even stall when you pull a plug wire. If you have a cylinder that makes no difference in the way it idles, then that's the one that isn't working right. Just need to find out why.

tater76

I am betting there is an issue with the pump rebuild. I would pull it apart and double check everything again. If you are for sure that timing and spark are good, then it has to be the fuel system. Did you clean the plugs after switching fuel?