Took the head off my motor, heres a video explaining everything.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Took the head off my motor, heres a video explaining everything.

Wow! you have been busy. So, you don't need to have it in the water to adjust the cable. If its sitting in the driveway in neutral you should be able to spin the prop by hand. There should be no clicking in either direction, if there is adjust the cable until you find that sweet spot. One other hint to getting the right adjustment is to have your motor in the full down position. If it is in a tilted position the cables will have a little bend in them giving you a different adjustment. I know some may bawk at that, but its happened to me.

Now the timing will require an automotive timing light. If you don't have one, they can be rented for free from most auto parts places.
Here is the STATIC timing procedure I do to my motors, but its not gospel for all years and models so check your manual too.

I first disconnect spark plug boots from plugs, then remove all spark plugs. Insert all plugs back into the spark plug boots. Now you need to ground the plugs to the engine. I have made myself a jumper wire that connects to all 4 plugs, and grounds to the engine block negative ground wire coming from the battery.
Once grounded, proceed inside the boat. Now put the controls in full forward WOT. Go back to the engine, hook up the timing light positive and negative leads to the boats battery. Then hook the other lead from the timing light to the TOP #1 spark plug wire.
At this point you will need a friend, good kid, or wife to crank the engine while you run the timing light. There are likely 4 timing lines or marks on your flywheel, but they seem to vary with years. Anyway, you only need to worry about the group of three. From left to right the lines are 28 degrees, 30 degrees, and 32 degrees. You want your pointer on the block to line up with the 28 degree mark.
Now have junior or wifey crank the engine while you check and see where the timing is set currently. If it needs adjustment proceed to the little adjustment block under the edge of the flywheel. There should be a set nut and a screw. the screw draws the two blocks closer or further apart depending on what you need. Once you find 28 degrees tighten the set nut and your in business.
You can now perform the link and sync, and once running set your idle screw on the timing tower. Some do the link and sync first (I think thats how Frank does it?), If you have a compression tester this is the tome to do it, as this is pretty much the same prodedure needed to do it.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I always get confused on the timing. The manual indicates that the timing is set to 30? BTDC running at WOT. This is with the motor actually running at 5500 RPM. Kind of hard to do if you could imagine flying across the water at WOT bouncing across the waves with the cover off and trying to aim a timing light at the flywheel which has teeth that act like a buzz saw if they come into contact with anything! LOL! Unless you have a test tank with a special test hub that is bolted in place of the prop, most of us have to use the static timing method. Attached is the chart from my Clymer manual. Depending on the type of ignition system, Prestolite, Thunder Bolt, or CDM ignition, the setting is different. The numbers in parenthesis are the static timing setting which is done a cranking speed.

IMG_2748.jpg

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tater what I mean is that as it is right now it freely spins in either direction in neutral. When I moved the throttle into fwd and then go back to the prop it will move in the clockwise direction only, but it will click while doing so. But neutral spins freely with no clicking in either direction. Also, when I spun the driveshaft before I reinstalled the l/u there was no clicking going fwd, only when I move the prop clockwise by hand. Is this how it should be?

As for the timing, the confusion for me is that Frank didn't mention use of a timing light in his write up on http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=431021. And he mentions testing "engine sag" and doing hole shots in between adjustments, thats why I assumed I need to be on the water when doing the procedure. Ha, it wouldn't be the 1st time I brought an extensive tool collection on the boat!

So I'm for whatever works, if I need a timing light and can do it in the driveway that'd be great. Weather permitting, I'll try and get it done tomorrow and hopefully have this on the water for a re-maiden voyage soon.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is how I put my son to work.....

tater76

When you say you put it in forward with the controls, and turn the prop clockwise are you doing this by turning the flywheel by hand or prop by hand? If the controls are in forward, and you turn the flywheel clockwise it may click on the first revolution until the gears engage fully. After its fully engaged it should not make any noises or "catch" while rotating. I'm guessing what you are experiencing is normal. As long as the controls work as they should as in putting the boat in and out of gear, in the correct direction, and nuetral lets the prop spin freely sounds like your good to go.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you say you put it in forward with the controls, and turn the prop clockwise are you doing this by turning the flywheel by hand or prop by hand? .

If I try and turn the flywheel there is no clicking, its only if the throttle is in the fwd position and I turn the prop itself by hand. Like I said earlier, I never had any reason to have the throttle in fwd and spin a prop by hand before so I never noticed if this is normal or not. I'm guessing its fine. I guess we'll see when I have a sunny day (poured all day today) and I can get the timing set and carbs synced. I picked up a $13 timing light at harbor freight today, hopefully its good enough to do the job.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depending on the type of ignition system, Prestolite, Thunder Bolt, or CDM ignition, the setting is different. The numbers in parenthesis are the static timing setting which is done a cranking speed.

View attachment 147153

Pnw, how would I know what kind of ignition system I have?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

You have the CDM ignition system. The coil and CD module are integrated together as one unit for each individual cylinder. This is the Mercury ignition system they started using from 1996 - 1999.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, so then 32 degrees TDC is correct for me to do the static timing?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yes. 32? static timing.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm pretty sure this is it, but for the sake of checking twice and cutting once, is this the hash line that I should be lining up the flywheel with? It's the only one I see so I'm putting my money on yes....
2012-05-20 10.01.40.jpg
2012-05-20 10.02.13.jpg

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

That's it. Looks like the lock nut for the timing adjustment is in an odd place. Normally it's on the opposite side of the plastic piece. Makes it a lot easier to get to. It'll work the way it's set up, just a little harder to get to.

tater76

Just to make sure you understand pnwboat, set the static timing to 30 degrees to acheive 32 when running. If you set it static 32 you will have 34 running. You could get away with 28 static to get 30 runnning. I set all my bigger motors at this and they run a little better.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I literally just got back, so here's the report. I set the timing to 32, and fired her up on muffs. Made minimal adjustments to the carbs thereafter. I got compression of about 150 on all 4, #1 was a little lower (like 145ish) but I thought maybe because I pulled that plug out a few times and thought it'd go up after running it a bit more. Ran great in the driveway, fired up, no smoke, great sound (will post video a bit later). I tried to fight off the temptation to bring it to down the road and drop it in the water, but I did anyhow. It seems I still need to adjust my idle, it didn't idle as good in the water as it did on the pavement. I also hit 40 MPH top speed which seemed low to me considering thats how it ran on basically 3 cylinders, but maybe thats all she can do on this boat. I got on plane in 5 seconds (counting "one one thousand...."). I shot full throttle back and forth about a mile to mile and a half stretch about 3 times and then it shut down on me. Needless to say the rain happened to roll in right at the moment and I rowed back. Could this be because the timing needed to be set to 30 and not 32? That seems like it'd be a simple fix, but I guess I also need to adjust and sync the carbs a little better too.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's how the boat ran, I show how it runs in the driveway, how it runs at full throttle (the stretch I drove), and how it idles in the water at the end. Another question, I showed the switch in front of the throttle in the video, anyone know what that does/ is for? How would I know if it needs adjusting?

tater76

NOOOOOOO!!! You have to break in a rebuild VERY carefully. You NEVER WOT a fresh rebuild. Read the manual, it should give a rundown of how to do this. I never take my fresh ones over 3/4 throttle for the first 2 or three hours of run time. You need to take a compression test again, and pray its an electrical issue.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yeah it should not have shut down. 2? in timing adjustment would not normally make much of a difference. Did you double the amount of oil in the gas for a 25:1 ratio for break in? Do like tater said and check compression.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I rechecked the compression this morning. Everything checks out I got 150,150, 155, and 150 from top down. I think I've found the problem, looks like a bad fuel line right above the fuel pump. It almost started up this morning but I noticed smoke coming from the side and couldn't tell from the front of the boat so I set up the camera while trying to start it and this is what I seen:

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I hope thats the problem anyway. I'm going to head out to Lowes and pick up some more fuel line (the only fuel lines I've found this size were weed eater replacement lines). I can at least put one on and see if this solves anything. And noted, take it easy on a rebuild. Pnw I did add extra oil, maybe about 1/2 gallon cause the tank was already full but right now its reading at 3/4 so I can add more.