To Build a Boat (any boat)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

we are patient with waiting for pics... NOT :D j/k sounds like fun... I figure I can resell the 6.5 in summer and not get hurt on it

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Whats your thoughts on this one anybody.<br /> http://www.bigdamfish.net/freeplans.html <br /><br />
kayak11.jpg

JasonB

Lieutenant

I need to find a light 6-10hp to ply with and use as a kicker on the bowrider.<br /><br />Hmmmm, after walking to the garage for something, I just decided my little project boat looks a lot like a surfboard at this point....<br /><br />Here's a pic to whet your imagination: Pic

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

looks like the jesus fish on the back of some cars :) <br />are you building this from plans or imagination?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

good luck finding the plans for THAT kayak Dinky. I tried that link months ago, and got some crappy word doc on how to build a folding canoe, that used polytarp for the skin!<br /><br />By the way, have any of you seen this site before?<br /><br /> http://www.yetisports.org/ <br /><br />I downloaded the games from the download section, now I have even less time to do everything else......

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Nice looking, flat bottom though. Did you see the builders page? Look closely at the edge of the sheetstock. LUAN!!! Maybe I'm on to something.... :D <br /><br />I like those paddles too. :)

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

077660.jpg
<br /><br />Gunwales and thwarts are installed. I decided there was no need to extend the gunwales all the way to the ends as there will be little stress past the thwarts anyways. Why add the weight? I'm estimating I'm at about 20 lbs right now total. I also cut a 18 x 36 piece of mat I had (leftover) and centered it in the boat where I will be sitting. I was afraid that without some reinforcement I would probably step through the luan. The mat goes up the sides a few inches too. I think I'm covered structurally, the rest is finishing work, the boat will float the way it is. I'm going to do a little work on the points yet and probably put some grab handles on the ends too.<br /><br />I don't know if I'll paint it or leave it natural...

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello this is Mrs. Wimperdink! Wimperdink is driving but he saw the pictures. "the gunwales look great, how did u make them? Are you going to cover the top or not? How are you going to get a motor on that thing? :D "

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Mrs. Wimperdink! Unfortunate name you inherited there :D Must be worth it though. :D <br /><br />The gunwales are ripped from leftover oak flooring in keeping with the residential theme. They are 3/4" high by 11/16" wide by 8 1/2' long. I glued, bent, and nailed them all at once using an air nailer. At this point I'm not planning to deck it but that would add a lot of strength which would come in handy should I put my 10 hp sea horse on it :D Drive safe!

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Dave I looked at the Sports Hydro plans more tonight. All I can figure is that the long lumber on the bill of materials is meant to be cut down and or milled at some point but the instructions are sparse. The BOM states that "parentheses indicate stock size for ordering only" which leads me to believe they meant for you not to use the dimentions given as a final cut size but as a stock size to be cut to fit your needs as built.... I think... And those long pieces are in parentheses. Plans are vague on that though. There is probably a how to read our plans page somewhere in the magazine that we aren't getting. :) Cool boat though. :) As Wimper was saying earlier, balance is likely key to performance.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks CK... My issue at hand was finding lengths at 14' and if they needed to be cut down.. then I will just wait to get wood for them to see what I really need.... <br />I hear you on that section missing ... probably called "stupid and don't understand... send $5 for the real plans"<br /><br />NO TICKETS Dink....<br /><br />and Hiya Mrs. Dink... glad to finally meet you :D

JasonB

Lieutenant

Man I hate it when I cut something a little large to givve me a safety margin, then hitting everything else on the button. I just spent 1hr of quality time with a planer and have at least another hour to go..... Gotta get some new belts for the "mega material remover" tomorrow. Tis better to have too much, than to cut it a bit too short I guess.....

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

better than cutting it 3 times and its still to short. :D <br /><br />Dave you just need templates... ask cpj he'll help ya out :D

cpj

Ensign

ha ha ha. why am i posting at 10:30 in the am when I should be at work right now?Because I have a case of anal glaucoma(sp?) I just can see my arse going in to work today."hello boss,ummm, im like sick and stuff.i cant come in today,bye"<br />p.s. dink i dont have templates for pallets.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol captain pansey boy is trying to be like the rest of us :D

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Slackers! No work and no boat progress. :D I'm done early today cause there is water coming out of my kitchen lights that I need to deal with.