To Build a Boat (any boat)

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

Dang you folks move fast!<br /><br />I've been playing around with a design for something like 3 years now! And I'm just getting around to ordering wood!<br />The original design was the Black Arrow,<br />
barrowtn.jpg
<br />but it was a bit too small. So I entered all the offsets into a spreadsheet and scaled them all up until I got the size I needed. Turned out 15% worked well, and bumping the dash forward a frame to make up for the heavier engine & fit a rear seat. And accomodating the extra size in structure was pretty straight forward - just go to 3/4" stock for frames instead of 1/2". Lot easier to make too. :) <br /><br />If you need to make your lumber longer, there's really nothing to worry about if you use an 8:1 scarf joint with epoxy. Don't forget the plywood shell is going to be responsible for most the strength anyway.<br /><br />Course the boat isn't even started yet... :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol welcome Paul :) did we inspire ya to get started or did it just happen that way? Dont feel bad about the 3 years thing. our very own cpj is working on it too
24.gif
<br /><br />I love it, everyone is getting in the spirit now. I like the shape of that black arrow. Are the plans available online where we can poke our noses in to them?

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I scraped all the blue resin off and put the boat in the sun to warm up. Bottom looks good, the blue stuff stunk so bad I had to come in and sit down for a while. I'm planning to clean out the inside with acetone and give it another shot. I was able to remove most of the form blocks since the outside is taped and holding shape. Once inside is coated I can flip and recoat the outside, after washing the blush off.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

today must be the day to join in....<br /><br />
Originally posted by Paul Moir:<br /> Dang you folks move fast!<br /><br /><br />If you need to make your lumber longer, there's really nothing to worry about if you use an 8:1 scarf joint with epoxy. Don't forget the plywood shell is going to be responsible for most the strength anyway.<br /><br />Course the boat isn't even started yet... :D
Paul don't know my luck.... :D <br />So do we think making the boat longer behind the dash is the best route? I just think that I would have more handling issues stretchin it then just movin seats foward 30" Too me I feel I would just have to have the motor set up right on the boat to accomodate the change. It would be like loadin your boat different everytime.. you adjust trim and such to get it right, If I stretch it.. I feel like I'll throw everything outta wack and end up with a wooden flat bottomed tri-hull :D <br /><br />Just what the world needs :confused:

Paul Moir

Admiral

Thanks for the welcome. You folks have really given me a kick in the behind about getting this one done. Plans are here:<br /> http://www.sailandprop.com/plans/BlackArrow.zip <br />(Zipped up, they're just a few GIFs though)<br /><br /><br />I stuck a 5° vee in the bottom though to get around some Canadian boating regs (this gets me a recomended HP rating of 50 some odd horsepower instead of 18). Not like it's law to follow the recomended though. <br />
ek2p1v.jpg
<br /><br />EDIT: LOL Dave, lemmi think about a more intelligent reply...

cpj

Ensign

paul watch out this is a rough crowd!whatever you do dont make templates(or just dont tell)Hey stooges:why dont you check out boat holidays.bump it when you see it.I gotta run, Im supposed to be working! :D :p

JasonB

Lieutenant

Hmmmm.... In looking over the plans at Svensons, i think I like the Maximus. Looks like a good fit for what I have in mind.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like the maximus too. <br /><br />Dave why dont you go with your first intention of moving the opening fwd instead of lengthening the hull. You can take it out for a trial run before mounting your seats permanent and see what the effects are. I would think moving weight fwd and back is a better alternative to than stretching the hull. Keep in mind my opinions are based around the need to get out and try it out asap. lol

Paul Moir

Admiral

CPJ - is it ok if you've drawn them yourself??<br /><br /><br />Dave, what's the seating position in these? Kneeling? Even so, perhaps a structural seat back between frame 2 & 3 would be the way to go. It could be tied into the sides with sort of a partial frame. The biggest problem I see is that you've got a big open boat now so side flex is going to be an issue (especially since you're into the sponson's space), and a seat back would go a long way towards overcoming that.<br />Now that I'm actually looking at your plans I see your point about simply increasing the cockpit area - that's a lot easier to do. Scaling up the whole boat looks like it would be expensive since I see a lot of parts are normalish sizes (23.5" bottom plank for example)

cpj

Ensign

Paul,<br />TEMPLATES ARE BAD NO MATTER WHO DRAWS THEM!Just ask the 3 stooges:wimperdink,dave jz,and calico kid.I got all kinds of crap from them about my templates.Thats ok though,even if all I had WAS a template, it would still be more than someone here that I know.I wont mentionanynamesDaveJZahem. :p :D

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dave.... You can lengthen the frames no problem at all. But do not Butt joint them, ever. Do a scarf joint, at about 10 or 12 to 1. <br /><br />
scarf1.gif

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

This boat of mine is so flimsy I can't see it working without gunwales and thwarts. I'm about to coat the inside now, it's all taped. Next I'll likely rip some very thin strips for gunwales and I've got a few closet poles I can cut down for thwarts.<br /><br />My neighbor just can't stay away :D He wants to be there when I sink this thing :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

It's suppose to have a set of buckets in it the way it's planned. I could probably over take the side flex by beefin up whats left of the side supports.. wether it's with a knee brace of some sort behind the buckets. If that wouldn't work I guess I could put a set of 2 bench seats in there.... The front one tied in for structure.<br /><br />with 2 bench seats.. Might feel like your ridin in the back of the school bus... but hey.. makes it that much more fun <br /><br /><br />LMAO CK... least your havin fun with it.. but dink made a good point earlier.. what happens if you can sink it???

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

If I can't sink it you mean? Then it's lawn art. I only weigh 150 with boots on and I'm no stranger to paddlecraft so I really don't think I'll have any trouble. The design of this canoe is pretty lame though as far as it's displacement goes. Flat bottom, rockered at 7 feet. I predict this thing will not track at all but spin around a lot. And if it tips it's goin' over!<br /><br />But it looks neat and I like the challenge and conversation.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

LOL... yes it was suppose to say if you can't sink it... <br /><br />I say you take it to the middle of the lake and give it a shot :D

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

077486.jpg
<br /><br />This looks better than that blue mess. Smells better too. Back on track, I ripped some narrow oak gunwales and cut the thwarts. I'll probably put a grab handle on each end yet. The gunwales need to be installed yet and the thwarts are just stuck in there. The last two form blocks need to come out.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Here I thought CK was buildin a boat... and he shows us a giant soup ladle :confused: <br /><br />Just wonderin who's pond he'll spoon with that one :p mlm

cpj

Ensign

CK lookin good! You should have made templates but to each his own. :D mlm.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

That is the template :D The perspective of that pic makes it look awful bent up but it's not that bad, yet. I'm still thinking the flimsy thing is going to fold up on me. Someone will have to peel me like a banana, (oh don't get excited :p ).<br /><br />I'd like to weigh it soon too, it can't weigh more than 20 lbs. right now!<br /><br />You guys notice how clean the garage floor still is?