To Build a Boat (any boat)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

Eric.... one of these days i'm coming to visit seattle. I'll meet you there... with a selection like that I have no choice but to come gitem umm I mean tryem out... got jugs to tie to them for the outboard rescue? :D you stand at the dock and hold the back end up while I fire it up and let go when I take off.... gotta run aground so I dont sink when I stop :D <br /><br />p.s. drooling jealous of the selection

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I glued up the last little pieces on the dug tonight, now the points are done. Nothing worth taking a picture of :) Next I'll take the sanders to it and get rough edges off and any accidental globs. Right now I'm thinking of leaving the finish natural rather than painting it, it looks kind of neat clear. Or I could tint some varnish and darken it up a little but I like the woodgrain.

cpj

Ensign

ck, you just said in the YAK thread that no one believes you without pictures.Sooooooo.....

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

I just got back from the lake where my friend tried one of my 20's on his 11 foot tin boat. The boat's rated for a 9.9 and it just flew. I wish I had brought a video camera. It actually worked quite well and it was almost as fast as my 16'er with a 50hp. I can't wait to get my 65 back on there and kick his *** though. :D So I say if an 11' tinny can take a 20 your minimax can :D <br />Eric

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol and I'd love to have one at my disposal... Soon.. hopefully soon. I want a rack of motors like yours and one day I will... although i'll probably be a lil more forgiving of the brand :D

trackersocha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok didnt weigh the engine, but i found that it probably weighs 38-42 lbs <br />so that would be 76-84 lbs in engine<br />another 6 lbs in gas<br />and 250 lbs of me<br />total 332-340<br />i talked to my buddy(who weighs a hunnert lbs less) and he wants to build one. im gonna talk him into making his with a bigger motor board to accom-- accem-- hold two engines that will be hella cool

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

my 1970 4hp johnson weighs in at 38 lbs<br />I put in 4 gallons of fuel and<br />Myself at 180 lbs <br />+ 1 gallon of water in the cockpit, wrench for tightening the motor (missing handle screw handle on clamp)<br />gps, soda.<br />and with setup still wrong hitting around 10 mph and enough freeboard to not get to terrible wet.<br /><br />I might add that I could stand up in this thing at standstill or at full power :D Power surfing.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

:D I don't have all Mercs, just mostly. I have 12 Mercs, 4 Evinrudes, 2 Johnsons, 2 Yamahas, an a Viking<br /><br />Tracker- a 20hp Merc only weighs 89LB, so you might as well just go with a single engine with bigger hp. It would give you more HP/LB.<br />Eric

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

may I ask why you have that many engines in your lineup? Or do you have an outboard store... in which case got a 15 - 20 hp you want to part with? :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

LOL dink... Always tring to find a deal.. what happened to the one you were suppose to make an offer on?<br /><br />I don't know whats worst.. smelling like resin, or smellin like a mix of gas, carb cleaner, mineral sprits, and either..... Lucky I wasn't in the mood to smoke, I'd a gone up in one big ball of flames. I'm not too sure which one it was, or combination but the ol' shoes didn't care for it too much, started eatin the soles. <br /><br />No I'm not makin any drugs or explosives...not on purpose anyways.. My In Laws have a motor home that have been giving them problems for the last 5 years... now I can add carb rebuild on the list of things I've done to the damn thing..<br /><br />They owe me... and owe me big and know it... told me that tonight and should have told them to just sign on the line on the title... and we'll call it even..(heck most of whats needed has been done) now I know why I don't want a motor home or RV... don't like workin on them and their low usage just makes more probs 20 years later... I'll stick with my trailer and drive the truck daily...

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

I have the engines mostly as a hobby. The local marine recycler gives me great deals on the stuff he doesn't feel like working on (thus all the mercs :D ) At the start of the summer I was selling off the motors I was less fond of for a pretty good profit, but now's definately not a good season to be selling boats/motors. I'll wait until next spring before I sell anything else. I live in a town where pretty much everyone has a boat, so a lot of these outboards are often loaned to friends while I'm fixing their engines. The main reason I can have all these boats and motors is I'm 17 and haven't got much in the way of expenses. I'm also always looking for ways to make my boats faster, so I like to have lots choices power-wise. I think I'm gonna put a 20hp on my little 12' now that I've seen my friend pull it off. My parents are starting to get a little pissed off with the many motor racks behind the house though.<br />Eric

trackersocha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tracker- a 20hp Merc only weighs 89LB, so you might as well just go with a single engine with bigger hp. It would give you more HP/LB.<br />Eric<br /><br />yea---but the're not twins <br /> twins on a minimax

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

gotta do the duals even if just for a few pictures so you can say you've done it. :D

trackersocha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i was thinking--what about 9.9 in the middle and 3's on each side, beef up the transom and wala!!! wadda yall think

trackersocha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

off topic for two secconds, how can i get a custom avitar, i have a pic i would like to use, but---

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by trackersocha:<br /> off topic for two secconds, how can i get a custom avitar, i have a pic i would like to use, but---
resize your picture smaller... upload it to a server.. then go to the my profile link up by the search link... and link your avatar to where you have the picture hosted :) <br /><br />I wanna see you cruisen with 3 outboards now that you mention it... pictures please :D