Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

Tomorrow, I'm going to be mounting the motor.

Congratulations on getting it all back together! However, before you clamp that "new" motor on your new plywood core, I have to ask a question. Are you going to cover the exposed plywood with aluminum like the guy with the Yammy did in post #1 and I sketched for you in post #107? IMHO, it would be cutting corners to not do that now. I also know it has been "drydocked" since August and you are ready to use it. Your call either way!

coolguy147

Commander

Congratulations on getting it all back together! However, before you clamp that "new" motor on your new plywood core, I have to ask a question. Are you going to cover the exposed plywood with aluminum like the guy with the Yammy did in post #1 and I sketched for you in post #107? IMHO, it would be cutting corners to not do that now. I also know it has been "drydocked" since August and you are ready to use it. Your call either way!

My main concern is just to keep the wood from getting scuffed or physically damaged. I used some polyester resin last night and some fiberglass mat....this fiberglass stuff was a horrible compared to the stuff I just last time. I just kept falling apart! I'll check it later today. Do you think this was sufficient?

BTW, his transom is all aluminum....

Willyclay

Captain

Do you think this was sufficient?

Not the way I would do it but that's what makes the world go around. I like to do things once, very thoroughly, and never touch it again. At the same time, my age and experience has taught me that perfection is a worthy goal but is also probably unachieveable so do the best you can do and declare it a victory!

Last edited:

coolguy147

Commander

Not the way I would do it but that's what makes the world go around. I like to do things once, very thoroughly, and never touch it again. At the same time, my age and experience has taught me that perfection is a worthy goal but is also probably unachieveable so do the best you can do and declare it a victory!

The reason is just that aluminum is really expensive....and there's bending it...holding it down. I can always take the motor off if needed lol! We'll see how it looks.

coolguy147

Commander

Didn't mount the motor today. I really did a poor job on fiberglassing the top. There are fiberglass hairs sticking out everywhere...I guess, I get it for working on poor lighting and that stupid mat stuff sucked to use. Any way to smooth it out and make it look nice?

Willyclay

Captain

Any way to smooth it out and make it look nice?

Now you have jumped from Tinneyworld into the land of "glassers". The rough fiberglass will have to be ground smooth. Since you are doing a relatively small amount and not an entire hull, some sandpaper flap-disks in a drill should be okay. CAUTION: This will create some nasty airborne stuff that could harm your long-term health by breathing it in! Absolutely wear PPE such as a respirator (not a paint mask) and eye protection. Also wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt. Plan on itching like crazy for a couple days afterwards wherever you have exposed skin. Be aware that a lot of grinding dust will clog-up a drill motor. You should look at some posts by forum glassing gurus like OOPS!, Yacht Dr., Woodonglass, friscoboater or GT1M who have BTDT. Good luck!

EDIT: Look at video Part 1 in post #741 of friscoboater's SeaRay thread for info about PPE, 3M flap disks and grinding in general. It is such an unpleasant task that not many people describe it fully!

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...-stringer-restoration-splashed-454460-30.html

Last edited:

coolguy147

Commander

Now you have jumped from Tinneyworld into the land of "glassers". The rough fiberglass will have to be ground smooth. Since you are doing a relatively small amount and not an entire hull, some sandpaper flap-disks in a drill should be okay. CAUTION: This will create some nasty airborne stuff that could harm your long-term health by breathing it in! Absolutely wear PPE such as a respirator (not a paint mask) and eye protection. Also wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt. Plan on itching like crazy for a couple days afterwards wherever you have exposed skin. Be aware that a lot of grinding dust will clog-up a drill motor. You should look at some posts by forum glassing gurus like OOPS!, Yacht Dr., Woodonglass, friscoboater or GT1M who have BTDT. Good luck!

EDIT: Look at video Part 1 in post #741 of friscoboater's SeaRay thread for info about PPE, 3M flap disks and grinding in general. It is such an unpleasant task that not many people describe it fully!

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...-stringer-restoration-splashed-454460-30.html

I'm just going to get the hairy imperfections out and then resin in some CLOTH lol. I hate mat.

P95 Maintenance-Free Dual Cartridge Respirator - Medium

I bought that respirator^

As long as the fiberglass doesn't look like a hot mess then I'm ok lol.

coolguy147

Commander

Ummm, this might sound stupid, but how exactly are you supposed to grind fiberglass down? I have a realllly, reallly old sander and some 60grit sandpaper lol.

Willyclay

Captain

Fast forward to the 6:45 minute mark in the video I linked in post#187 and see how Jay does it. Your sander and 60grit sandpaper may do okay for a job like yours but there is only one way to find out. Try it and see what happens before you throw anymore $$$ at supplies!

coolguy147

Commander

Fast forward to the 6:45 minute mark in the video I linked in post#187 and see how Jay does it. Your sander and 60grit sandpaper may do okay for a job like yours but there is only one way to find out. Try it and see what happens before you throw anymore $$$ at supplies!
http://mcdn.toolking.com/catalog/product/p/o/porter-cable_505_01.jpg

That's what I own except it's all metal and probably from the 50s lolllllllll. This is going to take forever.

Willyclay

Captain

I think the forum rules require members to post pictures of themselves wearing a "bunny suit". :joyous:LOL

coolguy147

Commander

Borrowed an angle grinder. I'll be grinding fiberglass tomorrow and Saturday.

BTW, I'm still alive lol 12.21.12.

coolguy147

Commander

OMG, I CAN"T GET THE STEERING WHEEL OFF...no place to put jaw pullers.

coolguy147

Commander

Got the steering wheel off.

How long does resin take to cure. It's about 50 degrees here and it's a bit wet (resin). Mounting the engine tomorrow if the resin is dry.

Willyclay

Captain

Got the steering wheel off.How long does resin take to cure. It's about 50 degrees here and it's a bit wet (resin). Mounting the engine tomorrow if the resin is dry.

Unless you know otherwise, that's probably the first time the steering wheel has been off in 50 years! I'm not very good with glass. Had a neighbor who did all my fiberglass repairs as long as I supplied him beer. My experience with curing times on resin is somewhere between five minutes and never, depending on the mix and conditions when it was applied. Good luck with mounting that 60HP motor. I know you are looking forward to ripping up the lake. Merry Christmas!

coolguy147

Commander

Resin is still tacky D: It's about 50-60 degrees out. Maybe I didn't put enough hardner in?