Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

I might just use screws this time?

Your choice but the forum experts, which I am not, have previously recommended using glue instead of screws in this thread. Glue bonds the two pieces together into one piece versus screws which make stress points at their locations. Screws left in the core will also act as wicks for water and, if it were mine, I would want to eliminate all those I could since you will be required to make numerous penetrations through the core for fastening the structural members; knee braces, splashwell, inner skin, etc. Good luck!

coolguy147

Commander

Ok, got the arauco wood! This stuff is nice! Is it really 7 ply though?

I used some Elmer's wood glue this time. Used 2 inch screws and kicked the backs off. Waiting for the glue to cure now. It seems to come out really nice and straight.

Instead of resin I'm going to use Thompson's water seal this time.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Instead of resin I'm going to use Thompson's water seal this time.

Two words EPOXY RESIN!!!

Thompsons water seal is little more than paraffin (candle wax) and mineral spirits!

Elmers glue is good to use if you're working on an elementary school science project... but not a boat. Use EPOXY RESIN with a thickener like SM Fairing compound to make a marine adhesive.

Polyester resin and glass cloth or matt have no place in a fiberglass boat... EVER!!!

Measuring the I.D of your transom cap will give you the proper thickness dimension for your transom wood... measuring old swollen transom wood isn't recommended.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Polyester resin and glass cloth or matt have no place in a fiberglass boat... EVER!!!

I don't disagree w/ any of that ^^^ other, but: Aluminum boat ;)

coolguy147

Commander

Two words EPOXY RESIN!!!

Thompsons water seal is little more than paraffin (candle wax) and mineral spirits!

Elmers glue is good to use if you're working on an elementary school science project... but not a boat. Use EPOXY RESIN with a thickener like SM Fairing compound to make a marine adhesive.

Measuring the I.D of your transom cap will give you the proper thickness dimension for your transom wood... measuring old swollen transom wood isn't recommended.

I used elmers wood glue....i didn't use no pre-school crap....

I'm working on an aluminum boat? SO how should I seal the wood then?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

but: Aluminum boat ;)

That's right!!!

Aluminium!!!... as our limey and Oz brothers would say.

... ever seen a combat boat/ship made out of "F"glass???

If Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, or Barbie were going to have a boat... it would be fiberglass.

coolguy147

Commander

That's right!!!

Aluminium!!!... as our limey and Oz brothers would say.

... ever seen a combat boat/ship made out of "F"glass???

If Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, or Barbie were going to have a boat... it would be fiberglass.

Why wouldn't the thompson's water seal work?

jbcurt00

Staff member

The spar is by far a much better alternative then the thompsons ;)

coolguy147

Commander

Use the spar urethane you asked about earlier:

Helmsman 1 qt. Semigloss Spar Urethane-63210 at The Home Depot

Coat the transom, both sides. Same for the deck and any other wood you intend to put in the boat.

May need a gallon rather then the quart, as you'll want to put more then 2 coats on each surface

OK, just cut the wood and it's looking better already. Going to pick some of that stuff now...idk, i might use the left over on the pontoon deck but i think i really just need a quart... lol idk.

coolguy147

Commander

Just put the Spar stuff on there. Should've bought the quart lol...barely used any of it. I guess i just put it on the picnic table and pontoon deck for the heck of it.

Put about two coats on everywhere.

Tomorrow if i have time ill put it in the boat :D I did a test fit and it fits soooo much better than my old failure... lol

jbcurt00

Staff member

2 coats is just a start. If you can still 'see' the grain printing thru the spar, lightly sand & re-apply until you can't. It's not the same product, but marine spar varnish is usually applied in 8-12 coats, and needs to be maintained diligently on vintage wooden boats.

You'll need to regularly inspect & re-apply before it's needed. Preventative maintenance is a must.

The epoxy Jig suggested would've been better, and would have to be covered, it isn't UV stable, but it would require less maintenance to maintain long term. Much less. But it's much more expensive.

The Spar is at least that much better then the thompson's, maybe more, and it's not that much more expensive.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I like 2 coats of epoxy and if it will see sunlight (UV) then 2-3 coats of spar. Epoxy is waterproof and the spar is UV proof.

coolguy147

Commander

2 coats is just a start. If you can still 'see' the grain printing thru the spar, lightly sand & re-apply until you can't. It's not the same product, but marine spar varnish is usually applied in 8-12 coats, and needs to be maintained diligently on vintage wooden boats.

You'll need to regularly inspect & re-apply before it's needed. Preventative maintenance is a must.

The epoxy Jig suggested would've been better, and would have to be covered, it isn't UV stable, but it would require less maintenance to maintain long term. Much less. But it's much more expensive.

The Spar is at least that much better then the thompson's, maybe more, and it's not that much more expensive.

How many coats should i do then? What grit sandpaper between coats?