Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Orlando Clipper Customization/Restoration

Bow eyes are usually put on vertically to help follow the contours of the boat and many trailer wench straps have a sideways hook as a result, but it doesn't really matter how you have it oriented as long as it's mounted securely. Just be sure the posts have plenty of backing on them. It should come with a stainless steel plate, but I would grab a few SS washers too to help spread the load a bit. A small person who can crawl up into the bow to tighten the nuts is handy too :)

coolguy147

Commander

Bow eyes are usually put on vertically to help follow the contours of the boat and many trailer wench straps have a sideways hook as a result, but it doesn't really matter how you have it oriented as long as it's mounted securely. Just be sure the posts have plenty of backing on them. It should come with a stainless steel plate, but I would grab a few SS washers too to help spread the load a bit. A small person who can crawl up into the bow to tighten the nuts is handy too :)

lol I'm 5' 8" and it's tight up in there! No, i'm using those eye bolts for the stern. Two new stern eye bolts :p

Hopefully that water weld stuff worked!

coolguy147

Commander

Got my butyl rubber caulk in today. Motor is mounted. Might need to drop it to the third hole but it runs fine otherwise. Still need to put the stern clamps in.

IMG_4996 (640x480).jpg

No leaks or majors leaks.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks great beached at the pier! :cool:

kfa4303

Banned

lookin' sweet coolguy! Now it's time for the sea trials. No real secret, you just have to try lots of various trim/tilt/height set ups to see which works best. It's been kinda warm here in N. FL, so hpefully you can get some time in on the water in the next few days. Keep those pics coming!

coolguy147

Commander

lookin' sweet coolguy! Now it's time for the sea trials. No real secret, you just have to try lots of various trim/tilt/height set ups to see which works best. It's been kinda warm here in N. FL, so hpefully you can get some time in on the water in the next few days. Keep those pics coming!

While at the 4th hole setting, the 2nd hole seems to be the best. 3rd hole makes for a funky looking rooster tail lol. With my current prop, the 3rd hole up and 2-3 hole out might be the best.

Willyclay

Captain

No real secret, you just have to try lots of various trim/tilt/height set ups to see which works best.

This is the process and, once completed, you can spend your time enjoying the boat with the pride of having done it all yourself!

kfa4303

Banned

Keep at it coolguy. You'll find the sweet spot eventually. You're right about the rooster tail, you generally don't want/need one especially with a vintage motor that needs to be relatively well submerged to pump sufficient water. Don't be afraid to experiment. Also, try shifting around weight within the boat. Mounting the motor higher on the transom, putting batteries and/or fuel tanks in the bow can help keep it down, if need be, and bringing along a passenger, or two will all make the boat handle noticeably different as well. Without using all the modern bells and whistles like electric jack plates and trim tabs, there really is no "perfect" set up for all conditions. The trick is to find the set up that will works best most of the time under typical conditions. Don't let yourself get too OCD about it all. After all, it's supposed to be fun. Keep us posted!

coolguy147

Commander

Keep at it coolguy. You'll find the sweet spot eventually. You're right about the rooster tail, you generally don't want/need one especially with a vintage motor that needs to be relatively well submerged to pump sufficient water. Don't be afraid to experiment. Also, try shifting around weight within the boat. Mounting the motor higher on the transom, putting batteries and/or fuel tanks in the bow can help keep it down, if need be, and bringing along a passenger, or two will all make the boat handle noticeably different as well. Without using all the modern bells and whistles like electric jack plates and trim tabs, there really is no "perfect" set up for all conditions. The trick is to find the set up that will works best most of the time under typical conditions. Don't let yourself get too OCD about it all. After all, it's supposed to be fun. Keep us posted!

I think I need more weight in the back lol. BTW, is a 1985 motor considered vintage? Anyways, the motor needs to start running right D: No mid-range power.

kfa4303

Banned

A shop would probably call and '85 "vintage" :) , but most folks here consider anything built from about 1915-1954 "antique", and motors from about 1955 to about '70 "vintage". That's when motors starting switching from simple, mechanical ignitions to "improved" electronic ignitions as well as various and sundry other black box gizmos that were added to motors to improve fuel economy and emissions, etc... Of course, there are lots of good motors from the 80s, 90s, 00s, but they do tend to be more complex than old school 2-stroke, magneto motors. Most motors made today are also 4-stroke motors, which have some advantages, but are heavier and even more complicated and computery.

coolguy147

Commander

A shop would probably call and '85 "vintage" :) , but most folks here consider anything built from about 1915-1954 "antique", and motors from about 1955 to about '70 "vintage". That's when motors starting switching from simple, mechanical ignitions to "improved" electronic ignitions as well as various and sundry other black box gizmos that were added to motors to improve fuel economy and emissions, etc... Of course, there are lots of good motors from the 80s, 90s, 00s, but they do tend to be more complex than old school 2-stroke, magneto motors. Most motors made today are also 4-stroke motors, which have some advantages, but are heavier and even more complicated and computery.

This johnson that I have is by far 10 times simpler and easier to work on than my old mercury.

coolguy147

Commander

The motor runs really well. Got the stern eyes in today. I'll get some pictures when i have time again. School starts Monday D:

kfa4303

Banned

Hit those books! What are you in school for?

Willyclay

Captain

Drain plug has a slow leak D:

That shouldn't be a problem for a "Commander"! Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like it was a great day in Orlando. She doesn't make much of a wake. What's the GPS saying now? Hope you are enjoying the results of all your hard work!

coolguy147

Commander

That shouldn't be a problem for a "Commander"! Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like it was a great day in Orlando. She doesn't make much of a wake. What's the GPS saying now? Hope you are enjoying the results of all your hard work!

My friends needs to come and bring his iphone again lol.

BTW, none of those pictures were at WOT. I can't take pictures and steer at WOT lol.