Berkshire pontoons???? Are they good?

reax22

Cadet
First pontoon Berkshire 23 115 Yamaha ob trailer 2012 w trailer new 37495+ tax. Is Berkshire a good name? Any help would be appreciated

reax22

Cadet
Re: Berkshire pontoons???? Are they good?

I searched and found some Berkshire Bennington comparisons. Still would like some feedback

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I searched and found some Berkshire Bennington comparisons. Still would like some feedback

We have a 230cl Berkshire and it's flawless. We have the BP1 package and we bought it last year, this is our 3rd toon and I believe most on the market are pretty bullet proof.
We would buy Berkshire again. I talked to our dealer a few weeks ago and WOW! have the prices ever gone up.

reax22

Cadet

We have a 230cl Berkshire and it's flawless. We have the BP1 package and we bought it last year, this is our 3rd toon and I believe most on the market are pretty bullet proof.
We would buy Berkshire again. I talked to our dealer a few weeks ago and WOW! have the prices ever gone up.
It is the 233rfxltd. Whatever that means? I also saw a South Bay 23 ft for about 5k more but a 150 oboard and 2013 model yr

reax22

Cadet

It is the 233rfxltd. Whatever that means? I also saw a South Bay 23 ft for about 5k more but a 150 oboard and 2013 model yr
Ok,today did some shopping, found a new TRI TOON 2013 Bennington,24SSRX 115 merc oB NICE DBLE AXLE TRAILER 2 Capt chairs 2 lounges in frt two back setup. Red, I liked it, capts chairs were comfortable and most importantly SHE liked them. Good price around the same the Berkshire 2012 they were trying to sell me.mid 30's. you only live once, I try to buy the best I can and maintain them very well.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

not leaning you either way but look at construction and warranty and there will be a clear "better" boat.

I will leave it there because I am very bias one way.

lakegeorge

not leaning you either way but look at construction and warranty and there will be a clear "better" boat.

I will leave it there because I am very bias one way.

No Kidding.

reax22

Cadet

I see that with the Bennington. That is where I'm leaning. Warranty sounds strong, most all I've read shows the company as a clear leader. Pay now or pay later. They are trying to lean me to the 115 MERC OB since I said I wouldn't be water skiing or wake boarding, just cruising etc.

WaterDR

I think Birkshire makes a good pontoon. There are one of the best looking toons on the water, IMO. Many of the other "leaders" especially Premiere I think have gotten lazy with their designs. Bennington too, although, the above poster probably won't agree :). But, that is just my honest opinion.

HOWEVER, and this is a big, GIANT however, you wont go wrong buying a Benny or a Premiere and you wont have any problems selling it whern you are ready to move on. I think they are the two, best brands....period. They dealers are also very experienced too from what I have seen.

I think the Birkshire boat you quoted above is either WAY over-priced, or prices have just gone up a lot. I can pretty much guaretee that that model was in the low 30's a year ago. Heck, I almost pulled the trigger on one of their very upscale bar boats last year and it was under $40k and bigger.

One other point I would like to make which many new boat owners forget is the service after the fact. Buying from a local, reputable dealer is worth its weight in gold.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

South Bay, Xcursion, and Berkshire are all Forest River products. Fine boats but they did raise prices significantly on the 2013 offerings. We dropped South Bay and Xcursion because of the price increase. We got Bennington and near as I can tell the money is pretty close on both.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The Berkshire is a good looking boat, but if you could really inspect the construction underneath the underskinning, you might find some short cuts you won't find in Bennington, Harris, Premier or Harris boats.

Right now, pontoons/tritoons is the only segment of the boating retail market that's doing well. (The marine business sucks.) And of all the manufacturers, Bennington has 20% of the market and is a booming, customer oriented company. And their resale value is the top of the industry.

That said, there are a dozen boats I'd be perfectly happy with. But I settled on a 24' Bennington SSLX with the rear facing lounge bed and an extended rear deck. And the F150 Yamaha is great on the Performance tri hull package and I'm seeing 40 mph @ 6000 rpm's with a 15 pitch prop.

If you're anticipating paying the high $30's, you should be getting 3 toons and a 150 4 stroke motor. I suggest getting on Boattrader.com filtering it for 100 miles from your home to see who's willing to earn your business with a fair price. Or, get on the phone and call the dealers when their manufacturers won't let'em advertise price.

The Rooster

Ensign

Ok,today did some shopping, found a new TRI TOON 2013 Bennington,24SSRX 115 merc oB NICE DBLE AXLE TRAILER 2 Capt chairs 2 lounges in frt two back setup. Red, I liked it, capts chairs were comfortable and most importantly SHE liked them. Good price around the same the Berkshire 2012 they were trying to sell me.mid 30's. you only live once, I try to buy the best I can and maintain them very well.

Great advice as usual from the crowd. We love our SouthBay, but having said that I would add: Bennington = Mercedes. Berkshire & company = Cadillac. One other thing, on a triple tube barge, I think you would be happier w/ a 150 hp. I think a 115 hp would do, but w/ 6-8 people, ice chests, and assorted gear, you'll appreciate the 150 hp. Good luck !!!

The Rooster

Ensign

Great advice as usual from the crowd. We love our SouthBay, but having said that I would add: Bennington = Mercedes. Berkshire & company = Cadillac. One other thing, on a triple tube barge, I think you would be happier w/ a 150 hp. I think a 115 hp would do, but w/ 6-8 people, ice chests, and assorted gear, you'll appreciate the 150 hp. Good luck !!!

WaterDR

One regret I have with buying our toon is not buying Bentley, but not for the reasons you might think. First, you can get a 24 foot, tri-toon from them with a 150 hp for $31k. Yes....they are not a SB, Prem., or Benny....but thy seem to be great family boats. The other issue is that the dealer is very local and owns slips that you can rent for the reason right on the very river where we boat. I can only imgine the customer service would be fantastic. Just think, any little problem and your mechanic is right there. Plus, the first year you get a big discount on your slip if you buy from them.

Dealer with things likes props is simple....they will know exactly what you need because they know exactly where you will be boating.

Long ago, buyin a car was the same way....where you bought it mattered if you wanted service. Now, you can drive to any dealer. Boats are different.....service is everything.

WaterDR

One regret I have with buying our toon is not buying Bentley, but not for the reasons you might think. First, you can get a 24 foot, tri-toon from them with a 150 hp for $31k. Yes....they are not a SB, Prem., or Benny....but thy seem to be great family boats. The other issue is that the dealer is very local and owns slips that you can rent for the reason right on the very river where we boat. I can only imgine the customer service would be fantastic. Just think, any little problem and your mechanic is right there. Plus, the first year you get a big discount on your slip if you buy from them.

Dealer with things likes props is simple....they will know exactly what you need because they know exactly where you will be boating.

Long ago, buyin a car was the same way....where you bought it mattered if you wanted service. Now, you can drive to any dealer. Boats are different.....service is everything.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

One thing: If you get a tri-toon, be sure to get LIFTING STRAKES also! Makes a huge difference in on-water performance. And go as big as you can afford on the motor! I WISH I had a 150 instead of a 115!!!

lakegeorge

The Berkshire is a good looking boat, but if you could really inspect the construction underneath the underskinning, you might find some short cuts you won't find in Bennington, Harris, Premier or Harris boats.

Right now, pontoons/tritoons is the only segment of the boating retail market that's doing well. (The marine business sucks.) And of all the manufacturers, Bennington has 20% of the market and is a booming, customer oriented company. And their resale value is the top of the industry.

That said, there are a dozen boats I'd be perfectly happy with. But I settled on a 24' Bennington SSLX with the rear facing lounge bed and an extended rear deck. And the F150 Yamaha is great on the Performance tri hull package and I'm seeing 40 mph @ 6000 rpm's with a 15 pitch prop.

If you're anticipating paying the high $30's, you should be getting 3 toons and a 150 4 stroke motor. I suggest getting on Boattrader.com filtering it for 100 miles from your home to see who's willing to earn your business with a fair price. Or, get on the phone and call the dealers when their manufacturers won't let'em advertise price.

Did you take the underskinning off a Berkshire to inspect it, Thought not! You probably bought your car from a used car salesman also.

Bennington is a very good boat, that said, you pay for it also. How many people on this site or any other pontoon site have you heard about that really had problems with their pontoon, very few.

I have read of problems with some tubes leaking on new boats, I think they were the RPT tubes that leaked on here and a few people had Bennington problems on here also, so far not any Berkshires.

If you don't like a particular brand of boat just say it, but don't make up stories unless you can prove it.

reax22

Cadet

Did you take the underskinning off a Berkshire to inspect it, Thought not! You probably bought your car from a used car salesman also.

Bennington is a very good boat, that said, you pay for it also. How many people on this site or any other pontoon site have you heard about that really had problems with their pontoon, very few.

I have read of problems with some tubes leaking on new boats, I think they were the RPT tubes that leaked on here and a few people had Bennington problems on here also, so far not any Berkshires.

If you don't like a particular brand of boat just say it, but don't make up stories unless you can prove it.
Hey Chief!! Take it easy!! This is America, (well sort of) we can say or do whatever we want, dont make me come over there!!

lakegeorge

Hey Chief!! Take it easy!! This is America, (well sort of) we can say or do whatever we want, dont make me come over there!!

I guess it just bothers me when people don't really know what they're talking about, and we have a few of them on here.