Changed point now will not start

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Changed point now will not start

Thanks to all I will find #1 also what type of compression am I feeling for sucking or blowing. Also seeing my crank and the timing marks is nearly impossible I will do my best tomorrow after work and will follow up with every one. Thanks again

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

While this may be hard to comprehend, dwell (point gap) affects timing but timing does not affect dwell. So the mere fact that you changed points means you have affected timing to some degree. Probably not enough to prevent starting so the next issue, since you do have spark is that you have the plug wires wrong even though you swear you have them right. All evidence so far indicates you do not. Also, since you said you are positive they are on right, why is it you have to search for #1. #1 on the compression stroke will result in the timing mark being at zero. In that situation the rotor in the distributor should be pointing at the distributor nipple that goes to #1 cylinder. If it points 180 degrees from #1 the engine is not on the compression stroke. Do you have the distributor cap seated properly. You can't just slap it on -- it is keyed to go on just one way.

billy4hp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks to all I will find #1 also what type of compression am I feeling for sucking or blowing. Also seeing my crank and the timing marks is nearly impossible I will do my best tomorrow after work and will follow up with every one. Thanks again

If your looking for TDC (Top Dead Center) then the 100 plus psi of compression will be trying to push your finger off the spark plug hole... So I guess you'd call that blowing...

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK going to try to put cylinder #1 at tdc and connect the wire from the cap that the rotor is pointing too that number one plug. The intake is labeled for firing order as the book says but im just matching them up with where the rotor is when the compression is in the cylinder im testing correct. so if im in plug hole number 5 as the intake says i take that wire and run it to where ever the rotor is pointing when I feel compression in that cylinder? I think I can figure this out hope it fixes the problem.

billy4hp

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK going to try to put cylinder #1 at tdc and connect the wire from the cap that the rotor is pointing too that number one plug. The intake is labeled for firing order as the book says but im just matching them up with where the rotor is when the compression is in the cylinder im testing correct. so if im in plug hole number 5 as the intake says i take that wire and run it to where ever the rotor is pointing when I feel compression in that cylinder? I think I can figure this out hope it fixes the problem.

You are over complicating the matter, find TDC on cyl #1 (compression stroke), once you have that done just wire the cap per the proper firing order in the direction of rotation of the ignition rotor...

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it thanks to all guys. The damn service manual wsa wrong I knew that was the issue and thanks to every one I was able to figure it all out and find the problem thanks to every one.

I now am curious it still seems to have a small rough idle and SOME times I have to rev it a BIT to keep it running. Im sure the carb is a bit dirty and grimy any tips with it? It has the 2 barrel Holly.

Also should I still time it and use a dwell meter on it?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Should you use a dwell meter and time it??????????? Of course -- you changed the points, therefore you changed dwell and timing (unless you are extremely lucky). Now then, which are you going to do first? Think about that as I touched on it in my last post.
The answer had best be "set the dwell first". If you set timing first and then change the dwell because it was off, then you just screwed up the timing you just set.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

You need to have a good manual as your guide. You need to set the dwell according to the specifications in the manual. You then need to set the timing, so you need a timing light. It doesn't have to be an expensive one; you don't use it that often. (Check Harborfreight tools). To make seeing the timing marks easier, mark them with a little white paint. I think the timing is supposed to be set at 8 degrees before top dead center, but check the manual. Put your white line on that mark rather than the zero degree mark. Take it slow and you'll be fine. As to the carb being dirty, check your filters. They may need to be changed. I don't recommend you try to rebuild your carb. it's much more complicated than setting firing order and timing. You may need a rebuilt carb. Good luck. Hy

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The question I have is what do you mean the manual was wrong?

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

The manual according to the firing order on the distributor cap. Its all good though you guys all rock I will get it timed and barrow a dwell meter from my friend. I will let you know how it runs should have it on the water soon.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

I suppose you could do it on the 5th cylinder and the next question will be where's the timing mark gone :eek:

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

The manual according to the firing order on the distributor cap. Its all good though you guys all rock I will get it timed and barrow a dwell meter from my friend. I will let you know how it runs should have it on the water soon.

NO borrow the dwell meter first, then set the timing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The order was wrong? What manual? What order did it say it was?

carcraze

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am with Bruce. You said in a previous post that the intake manifold and the book had the same firing order? That would mean that both the manual and the intake's order were wrong??

It is possible to run with the order out and not fire on all cylinders yet the motor may sound somewhat right if your not use to to it but when you put it in the water and the motor is loaded it will have no power, may also explain the rough running still at idle if it is not running on all cylinders???

I am no expert but you may want to still dig a little more or post the order you used and the motor so the experts can chime it.

Mat

ericcarr2000

Ensign

Another thing you can do is remove the valve cover and rotate the crankshart Clockwise until the intake and the exhaust valves are closed on #1 cylinder. At this point, you have TDC, Top Dead Center...:cool:

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think we want this owner pulling the valve cover to check anything. On some SBC engines that can be a real PITA, with the exhaust manifolds in the way. If he starts to follow the advice he's been given and uses a dwell meter, remote starter, and timing light as directed, he should get the ignition system set up properly. Like the rest of you, i really don't understand his comment about the manual being incorrect in the firing order, unless he was loking at the wrong engine in the manual (definitely possible). Firing order, dwell, and timing are fairly straight forward on points/condensor engines. Good luck, acuraguy, and let us know how it all works out. Hy

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

The book was wrong as to where it was telling me to put the wires on the cap. I ended up with cylinder #1 plugged into where the book wanted cylinder #6 plugged into the cap. Does that make sence? PS im gonna barrow a dwell meter get it set and then time it. Where can I buy a rebuilt carb for a decent price?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The book was wrong as to where it was telling me to put the wires on the cap. I ended up with cylinder #1 plugged into where the book wanted cylinder #6 plugged into the cap. Does that make sence? PS im gonna barrow a dwell meter get it set and then time it. Where can I buy a rebuilt carb for a decent price?

Oh Boy!

The manual was fine. No manual can tell you where the #1 spark plug wire plugs into a cap. That totally depends on where the rotor is pointed when at TDC of the compression stroke. It could be any of the locations!

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm just to understand what I am seeing I will post when I get time what I was looking at in the manual.

It showed a picture of the wires running from the rotor the the heads labled with numbers to indicate the fireing order. Both the heads and rotor were numbered. hope that clears it up.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Hmmm just to understand what I am seeing I will post when I get time what I was looking at in the manual.

It showed a picture of the wires running from the rotor the the heads labled with numbers to indicate the fireing order. Both the heads and rotor were numbered. hope that clears it up.
Still...the location on the distributor is not set in stone. The distributor could have been taken out at one time and installed in a different orientation. There is no set point on the distributor cap that has to be the #1 spark plug. The picture in the manual is just an example.