Can anyone help me with my Prop question

MokiCruiser

Seaman Apprentice
I really don't know a lot about props ..... I've read all I can read and searched and yet cannot find the answer ..... maybe someone out there can help me out ... thanks in advance if you do.

Here's the skinny. I have a 20' deep V Sea Ray cuddy .... late seventy's and built like a tank. I believe around 3500 lbs and probably pushing 4000 lbs fully loaded (passengers,fuel,ice etc.) The 302 inboard pushes it along quite nicely, up to about 40 mph with a 17 pitch prop. I have no issues with the inboard engine and prop.

I bought a 1996 15 horse Evinrude 2 stroke kicker and it came with a 9.5 X 12.5 weedless prop. I am not planning on taking this to too many places that have weeds, but I am hoping to use this as a trolling motor sometimes and as a safety back up in worst case scenarios. I would have to assume that a weedless prop does not have quite as much push (because of the bent back tips) as a non weedless prop so the question is this. What prop will give me the most push for this heavy boat? I don't understand pitch enough to know what to buy. So can anyone help me out here?

And by the way ..... I don't know what wot is and have no way to easily check that either.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Can anyone help me with my Prop question

Ayuh,... I'd just Try it with what's there, Then decide what, if anything, needs changin'...