40 hp water in the crankcase(repairable)

doghunter9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, I picked up a complete 1999 40hp commercial with motor trouble for 300bucks.

At the time it would rotate but with some binding, up on removal of the head there is water in the crank. I was told it was left on the boat at the edge of the saltwater. They assume it took salt water in thru the exhaust during high tides.

Now I have it apart the lower bearing is seized, and the middle neddle bearing is sticky, the top roller bearing seams fine, and do the rod bearings anyway.

There is a little surface rust nothing to serious, is it repairable/going to last if I spend the time and money to replace the bearings? I got access to a parts washer to clean it through out.

Opinions? Scrap?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 40 hp water in the crankcase(repairable)

If the crank bearing surfaces are rusted they are etched and will trash new bearings. I'd try it and see what happens, if it develops a knock just part it out.

doghunter9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bearing surface seem fine, just the bearings are trashed, A bit of rust on the cam is mostly what I am worried about.

I can get all new bearing under 300 bucks.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Your journals will have to be completely free of rust or pitting. If they look good, then just replace the bearings and your good to go.:D

doghunter9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heres a few pics.

Keep in minds it is covered in a lube now and I intend in tearin it totally down and cleaning each part in the washer.

Attachments

• scott boat parts 003.jpg
    scott boat parts 003.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 0
  • scott boat parts 006.jpg
    scott boat parts 006.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 0
  • scott boat parts 005.jpg
    scott boat parts 005.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 0
  • scott boat parts 004.jpg
    scott boat parts 004.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 0

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I'll bet the cylinder bores, rings, wrist pins and rod bearings (and maybe the rods) are NG as well. This motor, even for free wouldn't have been a good deal for me.

doghunter9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll bet the cylinder bores, rings, wrist pins and rod bearings (and maybe the rods) are NG as well. This motor, even for free wouldn't have been a good deal for me.

What would determine the rods are no good, i am assumeing I have to replace all bearings and the rings, as for the cylinders there is no damage, no pitting.

Wondering if alot of tlc will salvage this or is it a total pile of junk, I am willing to spend up to $400 on this if it is doable. Bearing kits on here for $150ish plus gaskets.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You are in for all bearings, seals, gaskets, piston rings at minimum. Rod bearing surfaces need to be carefully examined ... note the rods (and their mating caps) must not be interchanged and need to go back where they came from. You may be able to get away with just honing cylinder bores and cleaning up the crank journals. If in doubt, post good pix of anything questionable and we'll try to help assess the damage.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

What would determine the rods are no good, i am assumeing I have to replace all bearings and the rings, as for the cylinders there is no damage, no pitting.

Wondering if alot of tlc will salvage this or is it a total pile of junk, I am willing to spend up to $400 on this if it is doable. Bearing kits on here for $150ish plus gaskets.

any surface that a roller bearing will contact is suspect...so the I.D. of the rod journal needs to be pit free....once rust has established itself...that surface could cause premature roller bearing wear... you can replace all the roller bearings...but all those smooth surfaces they contact need to still be smooth and in spec..

you could try to polish everything and try and live with clearance issues...or leave alone and hope the pitted surface doesnt damage the roller bearings to quickly...or when you really dont need the motor to die on you!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha..like 20 miles out.... in a storm...in the winter...yikes

the safer bet might be another crank and rods

you got to take a look at the surface of the crank.

good luck

bob

doghunter9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks will check it out.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

If the cylinders look okay, then I can't see why the block couldn't be put back into service. Just see how things look, after it's all cleaned up.:cool:

doghunter9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was looking around on the Iboats bearings for this motor, But they don't hanve a bearing kit listed for this motor? Anyone know if one exists?

OH its actually a 2000 year not a 1999, that is Manufatured date.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I was looking around on the Iboats bearings for this motor, But they don't hanve a bearing kit listed for this motor? Anyone know if one exists?

OH its actually a 2000 year not a 1999, that is Manufatured date.

sometimes on ebay a KIT for rebuilding various parts of a motor pop up...but I dont think shopevinrude.com, lists a kit for all the bearings you will need...like they would for a lower unit seal kit or a water pump kit

you will probably have to buy individual parts

good luck

bob