Commander
Re: 1999 Bayliner Project

A few more pics.

Installed seat,

jse_08MAR09_084.jpg

jse_08MAR09_080.jpg

jse_08MAR09_081.jpg

jse_08MAR09_085.jpg

Clam shell vents I used to cover lame holes Bayliner used for drains... Very crude workmanship... This at least looks clean and marine...

jse_08MAR09_088.jpg

jse_08MAR09_089.jpg

Last edited:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I can't believe they just drilled holes and used no finishing fitting. Those clam shell vents really look great! Gives me an idea.

The boat is really coming together now. It looks new!

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Nice work on the platform, Bear! The openings to the storage are a great touch.

My bayliner had just the drilled holes as well (some were 1" above the bottom, too, so water would never drain :eek:). Those flanges are a really good idea; They almost look like deck lights how they are positioned.

BTW- Are you planning to add deck lighting? I've been pondering that myself. Maybe LED strips, 2 on each side front and back, 1 under the console (map reading, etc)?

bear_69cuda

Commander

Kinda quiet today...

More pondering... Wiring and Smart Tab placement...

Took this pic standing on fishing deck, looking at chaos.... Started speaker wire routing...

jse_08MAR09_090.jpg

Installed depth/fish locator, and trim gauge.

jse_08MAR09_092.jpg

Drilled hole in transom for transducer cable. More clam shell vents! :D

jse_08MAR09_094.jpg

I wanted some bling so I mounted prop. :D I purchased Stainless Smart Tabs, thinking of polishing to resemble prop sheen... Should look cool out of water at least...

jse_08MAR09_098.jpg

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looking great. I LOVE your fishing platform up front. I hope to upgrade to a bowrider at some point in the future and that's exactly how I'd like to outfit mine. Some custom bow cushions for the non-fishing days would be sweet as well.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Thanks ezmobee,

My stock cushions fit snug in place right over the top of the deck. :)

I pick up the snap-in carpet today! I'll post some pics....

bear_69cuda

Commander

Houston, we have carpet.....

Upholsterer did great work. Nice reinforcements at all snaps.

Dog house cover better than expected! I plan to put a stainless plate that matches the stainless on stern boxes. I had the entire cover binded, and 6 snaps installed. This beats adhesive on my newly fiberglassed doghouse!

All together I have ~ $250 total in the carpet, fishing deck, stern boxes, everything.

A few more pics..... Please note the carpet snaps have not been installed, hence loose fit look... She assured me if snap receivers are properly installed, any wrinkles will disappear.

jse_08MAR09_100.jpg

jse_08MAR09_101.jpg

jse_08MAR09_103.jpg

jse_08MAR09_104.jpg

jse_08MAR09_105.jpg

jse_08MAR09_099.jpg

Last edited:

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Looks great. i am interested in doing the same thing.. my concern is that if the carpet is out and someone is barefoot how will the carpet snaps on the deck feel.. i guess it doesnt matter as it will only be out for fishing and i dont fish barefoot...but let us know what you thhink of the duraback and snaps on the barefeet.. THANKS

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I hope when you're done you submit this to the completed project forum. You can title it "the nicest bayliner on iboats" :)

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Dude, everything is looking sweet. Not sure how I missed all this progress. Keep the pics coming.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Gang thanks for the support! This forum is a big motivator! I could not have done any of this without you cats!

92excel

The snaps are out of the walkway. Mostly placed on the sides of decking. I would imagine running on them wouldn't feel the greatest, but I don't think their gonna make you stub your toe or anything. The textured Durabak doesn't feel bad on my feet. I think it's due to the texture being recycled rubber. The deck seems to have some give to it.

ezmobee

Thanks man! Not sure about the nicest on iboats, but it should be very comfortable, practical, SAFE, and reliable... If I ever upgrade, I hope this work done will help sell her... The new owner would be getting a solid boat. I'm lucky to have such a solid boat to work with. This was nothing compared to some of the fully gutted projects folks take on...

JaSla74

No worries dude, I loose track of threads also... I think I'm an avid reader of at least 15-20 resto threads... It's cool to visit a thread where lots of progress was made... Sometimes it's like presto magic! " The boat is now painted" poof! Where have I been for the last week????? :eek:

bear_69cuda

Commander

Just a boring update with no pics...

Ordered all my wiring from Greg's Marine Wiring supply. All will have ends heat shrink and terminal ends crimped.

This is my order.

8' of 4 AWG red 3/8" rings both ends.
2' of 4 AWG red 3/8" rings both ends.
8.5' of 0 AWG red 3/8" and 1/4" rings.
4' of 6 AWG red 3/8" and 1/4" rings.
1.5' of 6 AWG red 3/8" and 1/4" rings.
4.5' of 6 AWG red 3/8" and 1/4" rings.
25' of 6 AWG red 1/4" ring on one end only.
25' of 6 AWG black 1/4" ring on one end only.
3' of 2 AWG black 3/8" rings both ends.
2' of 2 AWG black 3/8" rings both ends.
1' of 6 AWG black 3/8" and 1/4" rings.
20' of 10 AWG red no end terminals.
20' of 10 AWG black no end terminals.

Also placed an order on iboats. I ordered my Bimini top, some interior LED's, privacy canopy for changin and porta potty usage (for the girls mostly) It's cool... Hangs from Bimini frame. Also ordered Anode trim so my new prop fits. (needed high performance tab) prop wrench kit, decent wire crimpers, and some clips to attach my light posts to the bottom of my ski locker.... Good doing some business with iboats... Now I'm broke for a spell... :(

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

WOW! Those carpets looks great! I dig the curved corners on those side ones; Makes them truly custom for your boat. What is the white rectangular area on your doghouse for?

That is a lot of wire, my friend. Amazing that you know exactly how much you need. I'm known to order a roll of everything and have leftovers for years (just ask the wife :rolleyes:), so that is a much smarter approach. Might I suggest a handheld soldering iron for the connections and heat shrink tubing instead of crimping connections (when possible). It will look cleaner and you won't risk a bad connection down the line (no pun intended). They look scary, but the big ones that look like guns are best suited for the job. They heat up FAST and can solder even 2 gauge wire.

Wiring as cleanly as you have been must take forever. I'm not sure if I'll be as patient as you have been. Kudos on getting the correct gauge wiring for everything, as well. Not many people do that, myself included :redface:.

I'll have to go back and look at the pile of stuff you have yet to install that requires all of that wiring. I loved that photo! So much new stuff in one big pile.. I think I'll do that for the photo album. Just funny seeing the pile o' boat stuff.

Yar.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Bear,

I have to say that you are doing a bang-up job! I now wish that I took the time and made my carpet snap-in as well.....maybe next round!

Keep up the good work!

bear_69cuda

Commander

WOW! Those carpets looks great! I dig the curved corners on those side ones; Makes them truly custom for your boat. What is the white rectangular area on your doghouse for?

That is a lot of wire, my friend. Amazing that you know exactly how much you need. I'm known to order a roll of everything and have leftovers for years (just ask the wife :rolleyes:), so that is a much smarter approach. Might I suggest a handheld soldering iron for the connections and heat shrink tubing instead of crimping connections (when possible). It will look cleaner and you won't risk a bad connection down the line (no pun intended). They look scary, but the big ones that look like guns are best suited for the job. They heat up FAST and can solder even 2 gauge wire.

Wiring as cleanly as you have been must take forever. I'm not sure if I'll be as patient as you have been. Kudos on getting the correct gauge wiring for everything, as well. Not many people do that, myself included :redface:.

I'll have to go back and look at the pile of stuff you have yet to install that requires all of that wiring. I loved that photo! So much new stuff in one big pile.. I think I'll do that for the photo album. Just funny seeing the pile o' boat stuff.

Thanks dude,

That is a junk piece of plexi covering the hole/ access fuel tank sending unit, ans engine mount. Factory had carpeted piece of wood. I'm putting a 10 ga brushed stainless plate there for the cover...

Been dreading the wiring myself... All my butt connectors will be staggered crimped, soldered, and shrink wrapped... I bought a marine electronics and wiring book... So I've been reading up... Well sorta... :eek: Some wires may be overkill but very HD!

I love piles o' stuff! :D

Hey Yar!

Thanks for the compliments! I dig the carpet as well...

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Pyle doesnt have a great reputation in car audio.. but i see alot of it around in marine audio.. i see that you went with it.. any experience with it?
thoughts..

bear_69cuda

Commander

Pyle doesnt have a great reputation in car audio.. but i see alot of it around in marine audio.. i see that you went with it.. any experience with it?
thoughts..

No Pyle...

Sony head unit mp3/CD/amfm/ipod 54 watt x 4
Alpine Sub 10"
4 Polk 5.25" coax
and clarion power amp 400 watt bridged mono for sub

Meadfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You do not mess around either man! That is goning to look tight when its all finished.

Keep it up man, thats gonna be clean!

bear_69cuda

Commander

Just heard back from Greg about wiring... Great person to deal with! Always answers the phone and returns e-mails or messages promptly.

These are the details on my wiring order. Everything has heat shrink with appropriate color on each terminal... This is a great deal! West Marine wanted over $200 just for the 50' of 6 AWG wire for my trolling motor. These wires are ready to install with all end terminals and heat shrink connected! So this Kudos goes out to Greg! BTW. My order was processed this morning, and he said it will ship tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest! That's flipping service!!!!!

http://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/

8' of 4 AWG red 3/8" rings both ends. = 10.88

2' of 4 AWG red 3/8" rings both ends. = 2.72

8.5' of 0 AWG red 3/8" and 1/4" rings. = 30.51

4' of 6 AWG red 3/8" and 1/4" rings. = 3.96

1.5' of 6 AWG red 3/8" and 1/4" rings. = 1.48

4.5' of 6 AWG red 3/8" and 1/4" rings. = 4.45

25' of 6 AWG red 1/4" ring on one end only. = 24.75

25' of 6 AWG black 1/4" ring on one end only. = 24.75

3' of 2 AWG black 3/8" rings both ends. = 6.87

2' of 2 AWG black 3/8" rings both ends. = 4.58

1' of 6 AWG black 3/8" and 1/4" rings. = 0.99