1999 Bayliner Project

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: 1999 Bayliner Project

Not sure about how it would feel on the feet after the entire day? The textured bits are tiny shredded pieces of recycled rubber. So it's not like other grit surfaces. It seems to have some give. We decided today to make 6 snap in removable carpet pieces for the deck. Just incase you have a need for one of those, wanna be cozy on the feet days. Now I have the option or removing the carpet on fishing trips, or whatever....Cleaning the boat now becomes a non issue. No deck rot on this boat ever! ;)

The old carpet came out in one giant piece, so today I made the templates for the new snap in carpet pieces... After I cut them out, I'll add binding on all the edges (so carpet doesn't frey), and install the snaps...

I'll post some pics in a bit.

bear_69cuda

Commander

These pics show the old carpet pulled from the deck.

The templates traced on the old carpet.

jse_08MAR09_040.jpg

jse_08MAR09_041.jpg

A sample of what it will look like. This is one of the templates cut from the old carpet. I'll have everything binded, and install the snaps...

jse_08MAR09_043.jpg

Badabing! My Hobbit like feet should be diggin it! :eek:

Last edited:

bear_69cuda

Commander

I wanted to see the boats new prop, compared to the stock old one (14.25 x 21' P).

The Solas has a much different profile. I really notice rake and cup when they're side by side... I can't wait to try it with Smart Tabs!

jse_08MAR09_044.jpg

jse_08MAR09_045.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_631.jpg

Last edited:

bear_69cuda

Commander

More progress,

I cut out the carpet for the sides of the hull interior. Nothing is glued yet.

The templates for snap-in carpet are cut out. (this is old carpet used for mockup) The carpet in the pics of stern seat boxes, will be the same that will be cut, binded and made into the snap-in carpet set. I decided to carpet the engine box as well. (not glued yet either)

jse_08MAR09_047.jpg

jse_08MAR09_048.jpg

jse_08MAR09_049.jpg

jse_08MAR09_050.jpg

jse_08MAR09_051.jpg

jse_08MAR09_053.jpg

It's really starting to come along...

Last edited:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

That's looking good! If you need stainless snaps, check out rochfordsupply.com They have stainless fasteners. Call them if you have questions, they are great to deal with.

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

How much Durabak do you think you used just on the deck, not the seat boxes and all? I would suck to order 2 gallons and need 1.25. Then I couldnt reuse it..

bear_69cuda

Commander

Thanks for the tip Mark,

Are snaps easy to install on the carpet? I thought about having the person binding the carpet add them.

wewefirex2x

I would say 2 gal of Durabak should work on just the deck. I had about 1 qt. leftover from 3 gal. I saved the leftover paint in a sealed container, in case I need some touch-ups. Not sure how long it will last? Durabak has some specs for coverage area on their web-page.

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

The website says 60 sq. ft. Just wanted to know how close that was to your application. I will wait for the sample and possibly order two gallons.

How are you going to seam (?) the carpet and deck together? You said you were using carpet on sides of cockpit. How will they come together at bottom?

bear_69cuda

Commander

My plan was to have the edges binded like the snap-in carpet. But I'm thinking maybe just running a bead of clear silicone where the carpet meets the deck. This would keep the carpet from fraying. Or else running some sort of trim strip to keep the edges from lifting... You have any ideas? I'm open to any suggestions... Your talking about the carpet on the sides of the hull right?

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, Talking about the sides of the hull. Let me talk to my upholstery guy and see what he thinks. Either way you do it, I am sure it will look good. Look at what you have done. I am paying someone to redo my boat because it is faster but definately not cheap by any means.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Thanks!

Let me know what he says about that... I plan on taking the carpet for binding tomorrow...

I'd love to see some pics of the work done on your boat! You have a link someplace handy?

I don't think I'll ever fiberglass again! :eek: Well maybe.....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the tip Mark,

Are snaps easy to install on the carpet? I thought about having the person binding the carpet add them.

If you can swing a hammer, you can install a snap. The part that goes on the carpet (the female half) is a top and bottom piece, held together with a rivet that gets spread with a punch like tool and a hammer. The piece that goes on the floor is attached with a screw through the center. A bag of snaps usually comes with the punch tool, but you can buy an even better one for just a few bucks.

Judging from your work so far, I think your ready to tackle snaps. :D

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let me know what he says about that... I plan on taking the carpet for binding tomorrow...

I called the upholster and he said carpet binding or some type of finished edge would work well. He would not recommend a piece of aluminum because it is so close to the edge of the hull.

I'd love to see some pics of the work done on your boat! You have a link someplace handy?

I will pm you.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Morning Gang,

I dropped the carpet off at the upholster yesterday. I decided to let her install the stainless snaps. Then I don't need to order anything. She is also going to put binding on the engine compartment carpet ( dog house ) I was thinking about putting snaps on this? Then I wouldn't need to worry about adhesive there... And it would be easy to clean! She also said the carpet on the sides of the hull doesn't need binding. The adhesive, and where the hull meets the deck will keep the carpet from fraying. Not sure exactly what to start on this weekend. Most likely mounting electronic to prep for wiring, install smart tabs, carpet on hull interior sides, clean interior seats, and pads? Man I still have a lot to do! Must roll! Spring is tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lake's are thawing FAST!

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can not wait to see what it looks like installed in the boat.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Good day!

Lots of progress this weekend.

Friend came over to tweak the trolling motor mount a tad. We will raise the front 0.5" and cut 1.0" off mounting plate aft. Then cut metal (10 ga stainless), and tack for one last mach up before tig welding.

I installed the carpet on the hull sides...

jse_08MAR09_061.jpg

jse_08MAR09_062.jpg

jse_08MAR09_063.jpg

jse_08MAR09_064.jpg

A few pics to see how it turned out.

Last edited:

bear_69cuda

Commander

Also started mounting electronics in stern compartments.

House battery # 2 port side stern.

jse_08MAR09_054.jpg

Combine Bat 1 & 2 switch.

VSR (voltage sensitive relay).

House + Pos 3/8" 4 stud power distribution buss.

Trolling motor 60A breaker.

jse_08MAR09_058.jpg

Sub power amp.

Guest dual Battery charging system.

Aux 6 input fuse panel

House - Neg 3/8" Distribution stud

Alpine 10" Sub

jse_08MAR09_056.jpg

Starboard Starting Battery # 1

jse_08MAR09_060.jpg

Last edited:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

looking very good. Its really going to look like new when your done.

How did you finish where the carpet meets the deck along the bottom of the carpet?

bear_69cuda

Commander

Thanks Mark,

The edges I have left for now... Upholsterer said with the this hull carpet, it would hold down nice and not fray. I was thinking about running a bead of silicone possibly? It looks crisp, and the texture in the deck seems to hold it in place. Any ideas?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I think bayliner is going to ask to use your design for a 69cuda edition if they see this. It's looking great! Can't wait to see the carpeting in place. Your wiring job looks top notch. Watch are the items mounted behind the battery?