1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

The tell tale motor-side attachment piece is brass on my motor. The threads are like 1/4 NPT you should be able to get that from any hardware store if you don't care about needing to use OMC parts. The hose itself you should be able to get from a hardware store as well.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice, much better than trying to pull that beast up by hand coming to the shallows. That's the sa me problem I have with nasty brittle plastic pieces, shouldn't be to hard to find Jas

Very nice with the T&T mechanism. I don't see how a OB guy could go without that option for fishing shallows.

No joke guys, this will be a totally different motor with the T&T on it. What a pain trying to lift that thing up all the time would have been. Glad I never had to find out:D

The tell tale motor-side attachment piece is brass on my motor. The threads are like 1/4 NPT you should be able to get that from any hardware store if you don't care about needing to use OMC parts. The hose itself you should be able to get from a hardware store as well.

Check it out, my local dealer had one for 2 bux! Something affordable at the dealer, cool:cool:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, so after I got the T&T all runnin purdy I took a look at the lower unit. Rather than make a stand for it I just grabbed a couple of saw horses and clamped it on...
IMAG0004-1.jpg

Worked great, freebee:D

Then I pulled the water pump assembly all out of there...
IMAG0004-2.jpg

Overall things did look pretty good in there. The impeller was pliable bit I did see a couple of cracks forming.

Then I had a couple of head scratchers...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=564950

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=564961

But all was good:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

My local dealer also had a pump assembly on hand, fair price, like it...
IMAG0003-7.jpg

Comparison of the old and new...
IMAG0157.jpg

Fast forward and the new water pump is on...
IMAG0003-1-3.jpg

IMAG0001-1.jpg

Really sorry about the lack of how to/play by play and photos of the process. I had adhesive, grease and sweat all over the place. My workshop was 100ish and I was just kinda wanting to get it done ya know.

Then my outboard went back to one piece again...
IMAG0003-2-2.jpg

OK, power T&T installed/wired, lower unit oil swapped, water pump changed, nearly all cleaned up, she's just about ready for paint, decals and install on the transom:D

Overall the job(s) weren't especially hard. A fair bit easier than a bearing and bellows job on an IO (who would even own one of those things!)

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a side note, as it happened to me and you'll wish you had the tool and the know how...If you lose a relay or the PT&T stops working and you are on the water, make sure you know how to raise the motor manually! Thankfully I knew and had the large flat head screw driver on hand. It should be in your manual as well. (check it out) Turn 1/4 turn at a time. Don"t back the screw out more than one full turn. It"s a beast to lift manually. Coming along great.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to see you made your way through all that and have it back together. Makes me think that converting the 115 for the AC from manual to electric tilt will be a breeze.

I must be used to looking my shabby motors cause I keep thinking that paint doesn't look bad.:rolleyes:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Tundra - Thanks for the heads up on that! Yah, that's something I'll definitely want to know how to do;)

Truck - Yah, the paint is pretty good overall though the decals are just a little rough...
IMAG0116.jpg

I figure so long as I am in rebuild mode I may as well just do it all. When I get to fish and ski mode I'll just want to be doing that eh:cool::)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

K, two downers this morning.

First, I sat in the boat with some coffee this morning and thought about what I have left to accomplish. I have less than a week and I'm not so sure I can pull it off. I'm going to keep the blades turning but this is going to be tough getting it even bare bones water ready. I was even considering just locking that little 15 HP Evinrude kicker to the transom so I can at least get it out. We'll see, the next couple of days will be very telling. I'm working at it, I just don't want to do a rush job on any of this stuff.

Second, bad news for Michigan sportsmen...
http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/MIDNR-496f72

Could see this coming, bummer:(

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the vids and updates on the TnT, Jas. Bummer about the deadline and the carp. Guess rigging the motor and getting the seats, steering, and windshields on are the next biggest monsters? Assuming of course your rear deck will be just a coupla coolers this trip.

Much as I hate to even suggest it, is posting pics and updates really sucking time? Maybe go heads down and (gulp!) suspend that stuff until you are done the must-dos. ( I know, I know - after just buggin ya for a vid! ):redface:

Also, could you pack a box of fiddly bits to install once at the lake. That's tougher of course cuz then you are eating into family time on the vacation. Don't know about you but my lovely and talented other half can get a bit cranky if I spend too much time on the greasy bits come the actual vacation. Rightfully so too.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey scout!

Well, thing is, I have a whole bunch of other duties day time. So the majority of my boat building has to happen before the sun comes up. Slakin on iboats only happens when I'm doing other stuff.

Yah, next on the list is splashwell design/build part. I absolutely want that installed this weekend.

You are right, the big stuff after that is consoles, windshields, and all the engine/electrical/fuel rigging.

You are reading my mind actually! Yah, the place we are going to has an empty garage. So, I can still get some stuff done there too. Small stuff like maybe some wiring, decals, hook up gauges, that sort of thing. Shoot, most of that can be done while the boat is in the water at the dock.

I'd have to say, the boat will certainly be ready to be hauled up and dropped in the water, so that's good. I suppose the emergency ripcord would be clamping on the Evinrude kicker rather than the big pusher.

We'll see:)

64osby

Admiral

Jas keep cranking or just an idea here.

Find a easy deal on a running / floating boat. Buy, use and resell. Or maybe it's your next project after the big I. When I was growing up my dad did that every summer, bought a boat before vacation, used and sold after. Knowing you, you would come out on top.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Oh yah osby, I've thought about doing that too;) I'd really rather not but - grab something cheap, use it, clean it up, sell at a profit.

emoney

Commander

Man that stinks about those Asian Carp. Hopefully they'll be able to contain that mess since they seem to be, at least, proactive. As for the "buying a boat for vacation", I've done that before and been lucky, but you never know what might/can happen so proceed with caution. You've done awesome work so far, as usual, so don't beat yourself up to bad. Nothing wrong with getting it "usuable" for the trip. What's the odds that you could get the big one mounted AND the kicker, just to use the little guy to move around? Good luck, regardless of what you decide. We're all pulling for ya to get it done.

sprintst

Commander

Beautiful work on the Evinrude. I'd like to get one built up myself.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

TnT sweet, that will save your back many many problems in the future............ nice job on the motor, glad you did the water pump and not just the impeller, they changed the design and added a SS insert :D, now you will never need to do anything BUT the impeller in the future........all my Johnyrudes have 'em............. speaking of that, i need to list them on craigs list and sell off the bloody things.......

DO NOT rush............. haste makes waste, and as someone here has in their signature, " why is there always NOT time to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS time to do the job again?"

take your time slapping that 15 on her, get the big one on the girl first, check out how she floats, then plan for the kicker............speaking of such, you did not even work on it yet, did you????:confused:

speaking of such things, it seems Leroy's ramblings site is down, there goes a LOT of awesome info on all things 9 to 15 HP johhyrude:(

looking good, Jason, looking good :cool:

i see the home stretch AND the light at the end of the tunnel...........................

even these guys think you are doing a "most excellent job, DUDE!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvMDryTopi4

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Keep at it! Did you see the weather forecast? Near 100* again Monday & Tuesday, not ideal for super fast boat building huh? May need to put a/c in the garages...

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Hey scout!

Well, thing is, I have a whole bunch of other duties day time. So the majority of my boat building has to happen before the sun comes up. Slakin on iboats only happens when I'm doing other stuff.

Yah, next on the list is splashwell design/build part. I absolutely want that installed this weekend.

You are right, the big stuff after that is consoles, windshields, and all the engine/electrical/fuel rigging.

You are reading my mind actually! Yah, the place we are going to has an empty garage. So, I can still get some stuff done there too. Small stuff like maybe some wiring, decals, hook up gauges, that sort of thing. Shoot, most of that can be done while the boat is in the water at the dock.

I'd have to say, the boat will certainly be ready to be hauled up and dropped in the water, so that's good. I suppose the emergency ripcord would be clamping on the Evinrude kicker rather than the big pusher.

We'll see:)

What!? You got duties other than boats n badger wrastlin??! :D

I hear ya brother. Jeez - I forgot all about the splashwell build. That's probably going to take a bit of time.

You know, being mid summer, maybe defer with windshield install. As for instruments, maybe just a tach for now. You can see if she's pumping water - do you know if there is an internal overheat buzzer? And I believe you said she's been "de-VROed" right, so oiling warning isnt an issue. Suppose a fuel gauge would be handy if you've go no way to dip the tank.

Just spitballin' here. You've probably assessed all the possibilities already. :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ok, here's the thing...

I'm just goona do this...

This is going to happen.

Unless some strange and unforseen problem comes up, this boat will float by weeks end.

That's it.

64osby

Admiral

Ok, here's the thing...

I'm just goona do this...

This is going to happen.

Unless some strange and unforseen problem comes up, this boat will float by weeks end.

That's it.

"Either do or don't do, there is no try" I think that's what Yoda said.

Where are you going for vacation next week? We will be up by TC / Interlochon on Long Lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.