1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Alrighty, this morning I took a run at the big Evinrude. The major goals are to service the lower unit, water pump, and swap the manual tilt for the power T&T I scored on eBay.

Here's how I started this a.m.
IMAG0002-7.jpg

Worth noting in the photo:

My chain fall that has been a humongous help in so many ways on all this boat building stuff.

Nice hot cup o strong, black coffee to start things off on the right foot.

My big fat hammer in case the whole project goes south.

After a while, here's what I ended up with. The engine in three major pieces...
IMAG0005-2.jpg

Question: Yah but Jason, weren't you scared? Shoot man, you've never done anything like this before?

Answer: Yes, I was scared. I think I wet myself, but just a little.

Question: But dood, you have the intelligence of a 4 year old, howdga pull that off? I mean, you are just dumb!

Answer: I know! But it wasn't all that hard. Back out the bolt holding the shift shaft (little tricky, hard to reach), back out the bolts holding the lower unit on (leave one in partially), let the lower unit drop onto that one remaining bolt, ease it out. Then, six bolts holding the engine to the transom bracket come out, and hoist er up a little.

Question: Now what?

Answer: Water pump change, bolt on the T&T, lower unit back on. I am a little nervous about getting that shift shaft lined up correctly and the bolt in place. I really wish I had like thin spaghetti alien type fingers to get that done, so tight in there!

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I hear ya on the shift shaft bolt/screw... On my Evinrude 50 they shove it WAY up under the block... Its like the factory wanted someone with tiny T-rex hands to be working on it all the time. :facepalm: Not to mention to get to it my starter had to be removed and one of those bolts was a booger to get to as well! :mad: The alignment was actually pretty easy basically just guides itself... The shaft rotated on my a couple of times so make sure it is facing the right direction before reinstalling the lower unit or ull be playin the up/down game My manual always had me putting the unit in reverse before removing. It allowed more of the shaft to be exposed.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey brutha Jas,

I'm right behind ha... Well a few miles anyhow... I'll be servicing lower, installing T&T, and replacing water pump as well...

Now change those wet pants and get crackin! Where are you getting your water pump kit? Do you have the service manual for your motor?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the tips Piece;)

Hey bear! Now hang on, I thought you bought that sweet CMC set up for your T&T, eh? Water pump will prolly come from one of my local dealers as I am nearly out of time to order one now. I actually got a service manual from carpediem but of course I've left it in my office, lotta good that's going to do me huh:facepalm: So yah, I'm winging it right now, I should really stop:rolleyes:

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hear ya on the shift shaft bolt/screw... On my Evinrude 50 they shove it WAY up under the block... Its like the factory wanted someone with tiny T-rex hands to be working on it all the time. :facepalm: Not to mention to get to it my starter had to be removed and one of those bolts was a booger to get to as well! :mad: The alignment was actually pretty easy basically just guides itself... The shaft rotated on my a couple of times so make sure it is facing the right direction before reinstalling the lower unit or ull be playin the up/down game My manual always had me putting the unit in reverse before removing. It allowed more of the shaft to be exposed.

Same deal with mine. Remember that (at least on mine) you can rotate the shift linkage while the lower unit is bolted on so that you don't have to mess around with up/down issues.

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jas,

A little encouragement for ya in the form of a Haiku:

Shift linkage bad spot
Knuckle scrape with words of cuss
Worth it in the end​

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jas,

A little encouragement for ya in the form of a Haiku:

Shift linkage bad spot
Knuckle scrape with words of cuss
Worth it in the end​

Instant Classic! :cool:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

carpe - my threads have had some pretty interesting stuff pass through. I would have never dreamed Haiku to be posted, no way! Thanks man, so sophisticated:cool:

I do but still need to install like yourself...

It's done! Yup, my three piece outboard is now down to two!

First, I made a wild guess as to where the trim relay goes (since I left my manual elsewhere), wouldn't ya know it, goes right here...
IMAG0151.jpg

I even had the correct size fasteners right on hand, yah baby!
IMAG0002-1-3.jpg

A few more smooth moves like that and this project may just happen:D

Reference photo for getting my parts...
IMAG0154.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

And here's the power T&T all bolted up:D

IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0003-4.jpg

It was tough to get those bolts lined up and started, but is was all good:)

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Chant it with me bruthas!

VID-EO...VID-EO...VID-EO...

We want Trim n Tilt

VID-EO...! :D

Nice work, Jas. Glad it came together.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Wow... Carpe coming strong and laying down some mad Haiku....

That's stinking funny...

P.S. Good work, Jas, Glad it didn't turn into a cluster on ya'

bear_69cuda

Commander

Thanks Mate!

Boat is gonna FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys! Yah, I suspect this boat will move along nicely:D

OK, let's do bad news first...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Chant it with me bruthas!

VID-EO...VID-EO...VID-EO...

We want Trim n Tilt

VID-EO...! :D

Nice work, Jas. Glad it came together.

Alllllrighty, here ya go scout!:D

T&T in action!

Yaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh baaaaaaaby!!!!:D:D

(I had that chain fall hooked up just in case the switch stuck or something and the engine went right over)

After that, I changed out the lower unit oil. All looked good, no water, no metal:) On to the water pump...

dozerII

Admiral

Nice, much better than trying to pull that beast up by hand coming to the shallows. That's the sa me problem I have with nasty brittle plastic pieces, shouldn't be to hard to find Jas

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Very nice with the T&T mechanism. I don't see how a OB guy could go without that option for fishing shallows.

Status
Not open for further replies.