power problems in "Forward" '74 6hp fisherman

bdh145022

Recruit
just got a "new to me" 6hp fisherman ystrdy that is in immaculate shape but i think it's been sitting for many years. It started up np but seems to want to stall when idling ...main question/issue i have is that in neutral and reverse it seems to have LOTS of rev but when put in froward the revs die dramatically and i'm guessing will only push me forward at a couple of mph. Hard to explain but when in nuetral or reverse there is "lots of throttle" but when in forward there is next to none and when at top speed it seems like it is barely reving at all

any ideas folks

btw .... fantastic website and lotsa info!!!

Brian

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: power problems in "Forward" '74 6hp fisherman

Your motor may have (and I'm not sure if it does)a rev limiter which is supposed to prevent over revving in neutral and revving in reverse but should allow full throttle operation in forward. The rev limiter is a mechanical throttle stop. You can take the cowl off and experiment with the throttle and the gear shift. As you are doing that, watch how the linkage operates and you will see if something is either missing or loose or just needs adjustment. Other than that idea, I'd suggest checking the lower unit for either lack of gear oil or small pieces of broken metal. Check the prop also for obstructions like wound up fishing line.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

No neutral limiter on the '70s 6 horses...

99.9% certain your motor is running on one cylinder. Surprising how good they sound in neutral on one lung, even reverse where load is less than forward.

Try running the motor with one plug wire grounded to the block and see if it changes things. If no change - then the one you removed is not firing. If no start at all, then the one you left in place is not firing. Check for spark. Check compression. Work from there...

Also, any more that is new to you with no known service history should get the waterpump serviced, even if it appears to be pumping during your testing.

bdh145022

Recruit

Thnx so much folks ..... gonna work on this today and see what transpires. i REALLY appreciate the direction and will let you know what happens

b.

bdh145022

Recruit

thnx folks .... looks like it's prob the coil.