Volvo 3.0L impeller leaking

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class
So toward the end of last season i noticed a small drop of water coming out of the bottom of the impeller. I thought that changing out the impeller with the new gasket would fix it. Well it didn't and upon further investigation i discovered that its in fact coming out of the impeller behind the gasket surface.

I'm going to try and explain the location here so bare with me. The surface that the rubber part of the pump's housing mates up to has 4 like vented holes like behind the back surface of the impeller housing. its i guess the other side of the shaft that turns the impeller. The top vent appears dry and it wouldn't be a big deal if it didn't drip onto the pulley and sling water everywhere.

My guess is that its leaking around the shaft and thru the housing out the back? how do i fix this?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo 3.0L impeller leaking

Thats exactly what it looks like, so i guess the piece 5 is the one that is leaking. You think putting a little grease on it would hurt anything?

Don S

Thats exactly what it looks like, so i guess the piece 5 is the one that is leaking. You think putting a little grease on it would hurt anything?

Won't hurt anything, but it won't cure the leak either.

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

its a very slow drip figured a little grease might help fill in the gaps in the seal until i can get a replacement.

Don S

The shaft spins, and the seal leaks. Grease might stop the leak if you don't turn the pump. But that's about it. I just want him to close his eyes to everything but fuel.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

have you cleaned the rest of the old gasket before installing the new ?

Don S

He doesn't have a gasket, plus he is referring to the shaft seal not the cover seal.

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

Honesly i didn't even realize there was a gasket in that place since the impeller kit didn't come with that one. It came with one for the housing but not that one. I'm going to check the old impeller which i kept since it was perfectly fine and see it the gasket is stuck to the old impeller. i never noticed that part when i had it broken down.

Don S

You don't have a gasket . ........... :facepalm:

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seal vs gasket, splitting hairs here