1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

This is some exciting news!:thumb:
Meeting up with a fellow Iboater and scoring an engine! SUPER :cool-new:!
It just doesn't get any better!:rockon:
Now hurry up and get that puppy refinished, Grandson wants to go tubing!:D

tallcanadian

Captain

Hey Mike, any of those storms around your area? What a mess. Keep you head down buddy.

Decker83

Commander

What a score!!! Looks like you got all the power you need now..
Will be watching for the vids and pics..
Have a great week..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1962 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

Re: 1962 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

Got both carb kits installed today and everything back together with no hitches. Gunna tackle the Water pump/impeller tomorrow evening. Will start sanding motor next.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together!! Best O luck on the new project!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

One step closer to some fun in the sun !

dOb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just got caught up. Nice motor! I have a similar ’79 model that’s going to need a pint job soon, so I’m looking forward to learning a thing or two. I really like the decals as well. What a great idea!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Thanks dOb, I think it will be a Nice enhancement to the motor once it's all done and mounted on the back. I hope to have the water pump done this week and possibly get her in primer by the weekend. I'll try and document and take pics and vids of the whole process.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Wood I respect your work and detail and will be looking to see the prepwork used to make this come together,

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

More Progress tonight! Lower unit removed...

It was a bit of a learning episode learning how to disengage the shift arm but I got it. I'll try and get a pic of it when I go back on. It's tucked way back behind the lower carb and pinched and pinned. I may remove the carbs to put it back on. I'm thinkin it would be a whole lot easier to do. We shall see.

Built a stand and removed the Water Pump...

Impeller had seen better days...

Casing had sat for 11 years so it was very corroded. I used emery cloth on it with WD-40 but it's not cleaning up very well it may need to be replaced. I'll work on it some more and see if I can make it better. If not I'll run it this season and see how it goes. I'll replace the impeller again next season and see how bad it's worn.

I'll put the kit in tomorrow and put it all back together. Hope to start priming on Friday weather permitting.

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The pump housing doesn't look too good. Curious how it will do for a year- they're probably easy to get, but definitely not cheap! I don't think you mentioned what year it is. I'm looking forward to seeing the painting process.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Find the correct part number for a complete water pump assembly then search through evil bay...you can find the complete assemblies at fairly reasonable prices...I scored the kit for mine for 35 bucks with free shipping, new in the box, name brand...came with the housing, impeller, gaskets and all the seals...
Can't wait to see the Blue flamingo fly!:plane:
:becky:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Gus, I went on Evil Bay, and they DO make a Plastic Replacement for $33 bucks...Delivered!!! I think I'm gunna try this one for this season and see what happens. If she runs hot or has any issues I'll pull it and get the replacement in a HeartBeat!!! Thanks for the Heads Up!!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was hoping to see some engine pix soon!!!!

Decker83

Commander

I would definitely replace the housing.. Took one out on my 69 erude that was in better shape and the mechanic said it was shot..

Don't want to see the new to you motor go up in smoke because of a bad water pump housing..

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

BTW, I may be wrong...like that would ever be a possibility...:rolleyes:...:laugh:
But I believe the plastic replacement housings are made with a metal lining where the impeller rides...the biggest secret to those is not to over torque them and possibly crack the housing...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

BTW, I may be wrong...like that would ever be a possibility...:rolleyes:...:laugh:
But I believe the plastic replacement housings are made with a metal lining where the impeller rides...the biggest secret to those is not to over torque them and possibly crack the housing...

Yeah I sent the seller an email asking about that very thing. Waiting on a response.