1958 14' Fleetform

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1958 14' Fleetform

paintremoval009.jpg
I was bored so I started removing the interior finish. It is paint and it comes off easily. Then my sanding disc blew up.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Did you have a backing plate disc on it ? Good respirator ? No telling what kinda paint it was so be careful !

jbcurt00

Staff member

Just for grins: How do you plan to finish the interior surfaces you're sanding?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Just for grins: How do you plan to finish the interior surfaces you're sanding?

You thinking a paint stripper would be better if he is planing on painting ? Less prep work ?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep, all those kerfs from the sanding disk & an uneven surface will be absolute ZERO fun to smooth, fair & paint
violent-smiley-011.gif

If it's as poor a condition as it appears, a scrapper/putty knife might be enough to get the loose off (maybe just a wire brush) and some 80grit maybe even 100-120grit on a random orbital to soften the well stuck edges....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You really need to slow down and ask more questions before diving in. You are causing yourself sooooo much more work and effort. A R/O sander with 60 grit is all that you need to remove all the loose stuff and remove the deep scratches. A grinder with sanding disc's is for sure not the way to go especially on the top cap.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't need a backing plate it's kind of solid but it bends enough so it doesn't cut. I'm doing carpet on the sides and paint/nonskid on the floor but that will be plywood so I don't have to do much finishing there. The disc was 80 grit and went through the paint in seconds so I'm just going to use an orbital sander with 120 grit. I've been wearing a respirator, safety glasses, rubber gloves, jeans and a windbreaker with the hood up and I'm quickly realizing the need for a tyvek suit. I was cringing in pain after taking the seats out since I was wearing a loose sweatshirt and very loose jeans... it's like haveing a bajillion splinters.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOG I posted the same time you did. I did it because I figured it would be pretty straight foward and I will use a R/O sander. Thanks for all the advice fuys

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did some more sanding today. I'm almost done the starboard side. I'm amazed at the amount of dust that comes off 5 sq ft of paint...

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

mark55.jpg
I know I can see the your getting ahead of yourself posts already, but sniffel sniffel I think this is the stock motor but 3 years older. Of course every motor I look at is hours away. I'm just sitting here waiting for the weekend to come which means HD time finally...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Motor & trailer work are almost as important as hull work. Kind of takes all 3....

In the case of older motors, maybe more important, given the challenges to get them wired & running. And depending on specifics, rare parts can be frustrating to come by. So an early start on the motor, gives you plenty of time to try & get it running right before you introduce it to it's new home on the Fleetform.

BTW early mercs are not the easiest to work on or find parts for, but they can be incredible motors & look GREAT:
258227AWSAccessKeyId1XXJBWHKN0QBQS6.jpg

Does it have the model & serial # on the transom clamp:
IMAG0613_zps31650552.jpg

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

:eek::eek: And I wish... I found two 40s on cl for 100 bucks and both are likely to run from what I can see. But if its mechanical I know how to work with engines for the most part. One is a lark and I cant remember the other but its 1975 and ran in spring. I did email both of them.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to see the movie Lincoln then I will be going to Home Depot and for real this time on my list I have somewhere around 5-10 2x4s , a bit of 3/4 ply until I need more ,bolts and such for the cradle/transom clamps sanding discs, and a TYVEK SUIT hopefully. if anyone can think of something else please tell me

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hopefully you already have it and have been using a respirator. If not buy one and some goggles. If you powder your self down with Baby Powder and rub it in good, It will really help with the itching. Remember on the WOG clamps to tighten the lower bolt and loosen the top one to make em work.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been using a respirator but I've only been wearing sfety glasses so I guess I'll have to get goggles. I will definetely have to remember the baby powder idea... Anyway, yesterday and today I worked on the cradle. Its nothing fancy but it supports it which is hopefully all that counts. The wheels aren't on it because I didn't have big enough screws for the holes, but they will go on sometime.
cradle002.jpg
cradle2001.jpg

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just one question, how do I not sand into the glass when I got through the paint and gelcoat?

jbcurt00

Staff member

1st 2 ways that came to mind:

A: Stop sanding with the aggressive sand paper grit before you get to the glass and switch to hand sanding or less aggressive paper and just don't sand into the fiberglass...........

B: Carefully

After you remove all that gelcoat, what are you putting back in it's place?