1958 14' Fleetform

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1958 14' Fleetform

I don't think the cracks are in the fiberglass and when I sand it it doesn't bite through the gel coat.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I don't think the cracks are in the fiberglass and when I sand it it doesn't bite through the gel coat.
This crack isn't thru the fiberglass?? :confused: ??:
174100d1352056390-1958-14-fleetform-fleetform-366.jpg

I'm not clear what you mean:
"when I sand it it doesn't bite through the gel coat"

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh I'm sorry I meant the hairline cracks all over, yes that is obviously through the fiberglass;) And I mean when I use the sander it doesnt do anything to the gel coat and I'm not sure how much I'm sanding.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Oh I'm sorry I meant the hairline cracks all over, yes that is obviously through the fiberglass;) And I mean when I use the sander it doesnt do anything to the gel coat and I'm not sure how much I'm sanding.

Then either your choice of sander, or the grit of sandpaper isn't aggressive enough. Old degraded gel coat that has cracked as extensively as your's appears to be, shouldn't be particularly difficult to remove mechanically (via sander or grinder).

You shouldn't be sanding gelcoat w/ out the proper protective equipment... Dust masks aren't sufficient. You need a respirator, and a tyvek suit.

But that may be a bit premature. You do not want to start removing gelcoat until you have a good idea of how you want to start putting it back together. That plan is based on how you plan to use the boat, how much time & money you have to commit to it's rehab.

If you plan to make it water tight, put a motor on it & use it to fish in relatively calm safe waters and if it's not pretty or perfect, that 's OK, it floats safely.. That defines a different plan of demo & put back.

A show quality restoration is unlikely, but it clearly would require an entirely different plan, that would require significantly more time & money.

Yours is likely somewhere in between. And getting access to materials & resin may force a change in plan. If you have to pay $300 in shipping for $5-600 in supplies, that may force you to revise the amount of time, effort & money spent making the interior more then just functional...

In NJ, US Composites or Composites One may be your best alternative for resin & fiberglass purchases online. If you can find a local supplier, you may even be able to buy the supplies cheaper & have that $300 in shipping charges available for the interior....

And it is unlikely that no matter how you plan to finish this project, that you will be able to re-coop your costs when you sell this boat.....

So, what exactly do you want to accomplish w/ this rehab?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the drydocks cpenrose ! What kind of tools do you have ? A 4 1/2 " angle grinder will be your best friend in this journey . But first you need some good PPE . Respirator mask, safety glasses, gloves ,You get the idea . That glass dust is a killer so be safe with it. The guys here can guide you thru pretty much every thing so listen and take there advise . They have seen or worked on just about every thing boat related .
Good luck with her I,m glad your taking an interest in it !:cool:
BTW you got yourself a really cool looking boat !

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just decided I am just going to carpet the inside so that should save A LOT of time and work. What am I using on an angle grinder? I figured that would be to violent.How deep am I going when I sand it, do I go to the fiberglass? I want to obviously make it shiny and do simple upholestry.The things I want to add are rod holders, livewell possibly in the back seat crossbeam in front of the motor well, windsheild, cleats, new trim,motor obviously,a fish finder, gps (already have one), lights and MAYBE a new steering wheel because the current one is locked but I haven't looked at it. I will be trying to get everything as cheap as possible. I love woodonglass' idea of using thrown out/donor couch cushion for the foam because that stuff is expensive.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh and I was using an orbital sander but I do have an angle grinder:)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Anywhere you need to do a fiberglass patch you will need to take it down to good glass just past the old gell coat or paint. Feather it out around the patch a few inches and you will build it back up with new glass . I like using the 60 grit flap disk on the grinder or some guys use a plastic backer pad with heavy grit pads . You can get those at HF pretty cheap. Take it slow until you get the feel of the grinder .It will get away from ya if not careful..You will use it on all the prep work inside the hull for the stringers and transom .

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would it make sense to go down to fiberglass on the whole boat? I'm telling you the whole white section doesnt have one square inch of non cracked gel coat.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Would it make sense to go down to fiberglass on the whole boat? I'm telling you the whole white section doesnt have one square inch of non cracked gel coat.

That's why I said decide how far you want to go towards a 100% show quality restoration.

If you want it to look the same way it did when it left the Fleetform factory, you will need to remove all of the cracked gelcoat, repair any damage to the underlying fiberglass, and replace the gelcoat. Decker83 & Trooper82 both just resprayed their hulls w/gelcoat, and they will tell you it was a huge task to prep it for the gelcoat. Respraying it is probably not something you are going to be prepared to do anytime soon.

Those cracks will return if you do not remove them. If you remove them you have to replace the material you remove, just paint will not be sufficient.

But you can lightly prep the white hull to remove any loose gelcoat, patch over those areas to make it roughly even to the surrounding areas. Fair the hull to hide what cracks you can, sand & prep it for paint. Then shoot it with a quality primer, and a good quality paint with an acrylic hardener and let it go. If it crazes & cracks, and it likely will, so be it.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is the process for doing gelcoat. The current gelcoat is from what I can see, completely shot. It's chalky, cracked, faded, and falling off in spots. The black is fine. Its only $44.00 for a gallon of pure white gelcoat at us composites. I would just like to know what's involved in prepping, spraying, and finifshing the gelcoat. I also have a 26 gallon compressor if I need it.

jbcurt00

Staff member

What is the process for doing gelcoat. The current gelcoat is from what I can see, completely shot. It's chalky, cracked, faded, and falling off in spots. The black is fine. Its only $44.00 for a gallon of pure white gelcoat at us composites. I would just like to know what's involved in prepping, spraying, and finifshing the gelcoat. I also have a 26 gallon compressor if I need it.

The last 200+/- posts in both Decker's & Trooper's threads (the links I posted above) deal w/ prepping the hull (repair & fairing) & spraying the gelcoat. Read their threads. It is only in the last 10+/- that they get to the spraying of the gelcoat stage. You are focusing on step 182, you're back at step 6 & 7. Spend some time & read thru the threads I've posted, and Don's How To's and Other Great Information.

Slow down, read and understand the information already available. Once you've done that, everything will make more sense. How step 10 relates to everything after & etc. Understanding the basics of how your hull was constructed, will help you understand how it needs to be put back. You will need to get the hull supported by a cradle to prevent any sag or humps in the hull from becoming permanent once you replace the stringers. How the stringers & transom are attached to the hull using PB (peanut butter like consistency) polyester resin. How to create fillets that allow smooth transitions between the stringers/transom to the hull, allowing adequate bonding surface for fiberglass cloth & mat. Figuring out the volumes of resin, cabosil, milled fibers, CSM & 1708 you'll need.

Watch some of the videos in Friscoboater's resto thread that's linked in Don's list. It will help with some of the basics. Until you've gotten the hull supported, anything you do to the boat may hamper your future efforts.

Gelcoat will require a spray gun w/ a 2.0-2.5 tip, quite a bit of CFM at the required PSI for an extended period of time, thinning w/ MEK, and the ability to quickly spray & clean out the gun, mix more gelcoat & continue spraying in a fairly narrow window.

Not an easy thing for even a veteran of using a spray gun, and extremely difficult for a novice of any age.

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

cpenrose
If I was you I'd do something easy and close to or probably free. Clean that thing out. Use a pressure washer or good old elbow grease inside and out. You will feel 100% better afterwards and you and those following will be able to get a better look at what you are dealing with.

I have to give you credit for jumping into this with both feet but getting a good look is the first step in making a good plan.
Good luck I know you are gonna knock it out of the park.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

I looked at the hull and cap joint. I really dont feel comfortable taking the cap off. It doesnt over lap it almost looks like its all one peice. And I would have to cut it. When I pressure wash it I can't get the dirt out. Anyone have any solutions? What am I using to cut the glass? First, I tried a multi tool and thats really slow, and the bled popped twice. A jigsaw doesnt work. My grinder has a rigid sanding blade on it and that couldn't cut through it. I guess I need a cutting blade? I'm just trying to cut things like the seats, stringers, and loose bolts n stuff.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

fleetform drawing final.jpg That is what I'm Looking for, so very nice,but simple upholestry and interior and a correct outboard for its time period. Also I will have a handheld vhf, a hand held gps, and a cheap 80 doller fishfinder.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Get some thin metal cutting blades for the grinder . It will cut a nice clean line .

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Gelcoat is NOT paint. Why do you want to remove the gelcoat. I'd recommend using a circular saw with the blade set 1/16" less than the thickness of the deck.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

I want to remove the gel coat because it falls off in spots if I even I power wash it. It's very chalky and cracked in a billion peices all over the white. I'm completely open to a way to save it. I got the idea of that stripper from a youtube video where they put that on and it just came off down to the glass with a chisel.