1958 14' Fleetform

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1958 14' Fleetform

It will likely be impossible to remove & replace the transom plywood w/out removing the cap, at least at the splashwell.

Like BoatgoatmfgVT did:
2012-07-23_182433.jpg

You can then access the plywood transom. You'll have to do glass repairs on the finished/visible side of the boat's cap though.

If you have started to remove structure inside boat (stringers) you need to make sure the hull is supported (in the previously mentioned cradle), esp if you are climbing in & out of the boat...

Are those 2 bulkheads glass wrapped wood running across the beam of the boat?

What is that tube along the centerline of the boat made out of?

This hull has foam below decks? It looks like those cavities on either side of the tube look foam filled.

Don't get ahead of yourself, in boat repair, that can quickly lead to the demise of a project. Either from frustration or errors that are difficult to recover from.............

Have a good Veterans Day

Boat & boat repair safely........

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bulkheads are solid glass shaped like an upside down L. They are very sturdy so I think I'm going to leave them. The tube is made of glass but after I get more grinder wheels it will br gone like the last one and replaced with pvc pipe.No foam on the whold boat, and I am positive about that. I also don't see any problems with transom replacment. And just saying, today was the least frustrating day besides the day I got it. My neighbor lended me his plug in grinder which was incredibly helpful. My battery one sucked.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

You might be able to replace the transom with out removing the cap but it ain,t gunna be easy . If using poly resin your gunna have to work pretty fast and you wont have much time for climbing in and out . It hurts my back just thinking of getting tucked under the cap to do the work needed !LOL! But then again I,m just old and wore out anywho !:facepalm: :D

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah its tight under there but I wont need to do much work under it. I think just maybe a coat or two of epoxy on the underside is all I need to do down there plus a cleaning beforehand because its dry cloth. I really don't see how it will be difficult to replace the transom.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah its tight under there but I wont need to do much work under it. I think just maybe a coat or two of epoxy on the underside is all I need to do down there plus a cleaning beforehand because its dry cloth. I really don't see how it will be difficult to replace the transom.

If you choose to use epoxy for a part of your rebuild, you will be using epoxy for any subsequent work that is adjoining the epoxy you've applied. Polyester resin won't adhere to epoxy properly...

You need to look thru the stringer, transom & deck link in WoodOnGlass' signature line. There are clamps that will help you hold the transom plywood to the stern.

Since you've only posted the 1 pix of the stern of the boat. It might be helpful to post a pix looking down towards where the plywood will be installed. And a shot from above looking towards the transom......

So when you say it won't be a problem to replace the transom, having never done it, it might make more sense if we can see what you're seeing.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

transom001.jpg
transom002.jpg
Does anyone still see a problem? Ive learned so much from WOG's signature, mostly about the transom/stringers and I was watching the upholestry videos which are great:) I'm not sure about the stringers, should I just do 2x4s ?I was thinking they would be too tall. The old ones were 3/4 ply. Maybe I coud borrow my neighbors table saw or have him cut them, can you cut angles on them? Then maybe I could put bulkheads in too_Oh I forgot to say before that I managed to put a nice inch and a half slice in the bottom of the hull:facepalm: but I'm pretty sure thats an easy fix.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Does the transom wood extend under the "Wings" ? What is the rectangular shaped feature on the outside of the transom? Has that been cut or broken? What is it?

jbcurt00

Staff member

WOG beat me to it, I had the same 2 questions & a 3rd:

Since the splashwell edges, and how they intersect with the transom's fiberglass appear different then one another..
It looks like someone has already trimmed some of the splashwell off, and removed the fiberglass cap over the plywood transom's top edge... But as a 'twin cockpit' stylized boat, it may have been a metal trim piece...

Does it look that way to you?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Climb in the boat and take a picture of the whole back transom area under the cap . I think Wood was wondering if the original transom plywood ran all the way across the beam of the boat or if it was just on the small middle section ..

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cut that because I was getting the suff that I couldn't shop vac out I'll patch it and I'm putting peices of plywood on each side I'll go take pics.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

transompics3003.jpg
transompics3002.jpg
transompics3001.jpg
transompics2001.jpg
transompics2005.jpg
It doesn't go across the whole beam. I also think it is solid fiberglass. I would guess it was trim but I don't really have any back up for that thought...I really think the transom will one of the easiest parts. Did I make a big mistake cutting out that hole? The transom is pretty strong by the way.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does the cradle need to be plywood? I'll be passing Home Depot on our way to dinner and maybe they'll stop but well probably won't take the van

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

You can make a cradle out of anything you wish . Not real sure how you would make it from plywood. 2x4 , 2x6,s the main thing is to give the hull support and to maintain it,s original shape while replacing stringers and transom .
Get it made then clime in and start grinding clean all the ugly bad paint and gunk . you need nice cleanglass to bond too ..;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Why do you think you'll be putting plywood on the outside of the transom? I would never advise anyone to cut a hole in the transom unless absolutely necessary. Still not sure why you thought it was necessary. You can fix it but it's just added work and expense that was not needed.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

whoops... so it doesn't make sense to sandwich the original transom between two peices of 3/4 ply?... that's what I planned to do or else I wouldn't of done that. I guess that's was one of the things I really should of asked about before doing. I did it so I could just sweep out everything through it and the part that really stinks is the fact that the shop vac work perfectly fine for that job. and I was planning on doing what decker did kind of with the cradle with maybe 3-4 plywood supports just as he did and 2x4s running along the whole thing and anyway it's my parents anniversary so I didn't ask so I'll probably have to wait until the weekend before I can get what I need

jbcurt00

Staff member

It's repairable, but is the getting to far ahead that I was referring to. Take the time to read thru the threads & links you already gotten.

If you have questions ask,.

If the details of what you're reading & seeing in pix doesn't make sense, ask.

In Don's How To's and Other Great Information list, read thru Friscoboater's restos. He has lots of pix & videos in his threads. And has great videos on YouTube. Watch those, it will help pull what you're reading & seeing in static pix together and make it easier to see the steps as you start them & follow thru w/ what's next.

WOG's signature line links are very helpful too. As is his BF thread....

Besides, isn't it just about winter in NJ? What's the rush?

You'll find if you take a step back and spend some time reading & understanding what lies ahead, you'll stop making more work for yourself.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Very, Very Sound Advice ^^^^^ Most of the members on here have spent Hours and Hours reading, studying and learning from other members restoration threads. This was done before they ever asked a question. Ahh, the enthusiasm of youth...I think I remember what that was like. It WAS sooooooo long ago!!!!!:eek:

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just have to learn to try and find it on the forum first before I ask... and as most people know, us kids "don't do any thinking before we do things". I saw the boat and after I new I was getting it I had it in two days so I didn't have much time to do anything. I did read for about 3 hours on the car ride to mid Pennsylvania plus a little when I'm bored though.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Your time & money....

But you'll save lots of both reading 1st, then getting out the speed cutting tools 2nd....

AD/HD affects 1 in 1 adult males @our boathouse, so I completely understand the want to proceed NOW NOW NOW....
pound.gif

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

haha I'm almost positive, though I haven't been diagnosed that I have ADHD only because I seem to lose interest in my projects easily. Though I'm usually doing work on my gokart/dirt bike or rc stuff I've built too and other random stuff that I decide to build that I lose interest in... though if you knew me, you would know that I absolutely love the ocean and being around boats more than anything...So don't worry I'll finish this because this isn't just to show idid it then it gets forgotten and it's not frustrating like my gokart or dirtbikes