1958 14' Fleetform

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1958 14' Fleetform

It would help a lot if you would invest in the correct equipment to do the grinding. 4 1/2" Grinder, Back up Pad and Resin coated discs would run you around $30 bucks. Would make things go twice as fast.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats a good way to think about it... What kind of discs am i using for a backing pad? I have about 25 discs that flex a little, which is like a backing pad, but I'll try it because I'm open to anything.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Harbor Freight has everything you need.
GrinderSetup.jpg

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The original brochure pics are really cool. I would love to ski behind a boat like that. No modern ski boat could ever lay down a wake that soft.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah I also love how deep the hull is, they dont make any 14 foot boats like that anymore.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Grr... This KILLS me to say this... I'm thinking of selling it. I can't take this sanding by myself. I also don't like the chance of me wrecking a classic boat like this. I don't know if someone would even take it in it's condition. I'll either build a boat, likely this oneSpira International Inc - Fiesta Bay Speed Boat. I've built 2 of his boats. Great and easy designs. Now that I have a miter saw, the framing would get knocked out very quickly. He also is very helpful and easy to contact. My other option is to spend some $ and get a project that won't take as much work.:tsk:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Had you actually had to pay for your boat instead of getting it for free I don't think you'd abandon this project so readily, but since you got it for free you have nothing to lose but the little bit of time and money you've spent on it.

Go on back to your video games in the nice warm house and build up your thumb muscles some more.

All boat restorations take work, that's why we don't have a lot of women and teenagers on this forum.

Boat restoration is dirty, hard, nasty work until you get to the building stage and then it gets a lot better... but the bad stuff comes first.

Look at the hard work these 2 old farts have done:
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...om-deck-stringer-replacement-help-471173.html

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...yliner-victoria-2781-restore-bust-570740.html

... and you're going to whine and and quit on a little 14 footer???

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well now I have to finish it. I can't take that. By the way I don't play them video games, thats my brothers job. I ONLY do things that involve building, fixing, and the outdoors.

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Look at the hard work these 2 old farts have done:
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...yliner-victoria-2781-restore-bust-570740.html

... and you're going to whine and and quit on a little 14 footer???

Hey! I resemble that remark! :lol:

I helped gwpjr on his first boat last year, which was a cute 14' Arkansas Traveler. All the bulkheads and seat boxes were rebuilt. That was enough to give me the rebuild/restore bug.

This thing either becomes an obsession or it doesn't. If you're not infected, it's probably not worth pretending. But if you are, don't give up.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

My dad want's to help, but he does't have a respirator, and he grew up in Philadelphia, so he can barely pound a nail and is not very interested in building/fixing stuff. He likes boats though. I think thats why I do what I do. In fact he just got put into the er last night from a heart attack. I think he needs to start working out or help me with my resto, either one'll do. It's surprising though because he's only 47. But appearently it comes with being a stock broker. Speaking of it becoming an obsession, I am absolutely obssessed with boats. Nothing makes me in a better mood than fishing or being down the shore.And nothing makes me in a worse mood than not being in the boat/fishing mood. I just really wish I could get someone to help with the sanding.

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So sorry to hear about your father. Wishing him a speedy recovery. Perhaps this will be incentive for him to find ways to de-stress and find outlets for himself to stay active. If not on the resto work, maybe with enjoying the boat when you're done.

Are there any groups in your area for fellow boat enthusiasts to get together? Perhaps there would be others who are looking for projects to assist on (and vice versa). Any friends of similar age who might be willing to put a little sweat equity into your project in exchange for being able to enjoy the boat later?

The nice thing about a boat project is that it waits there, patiently, until you have the time, energy, money or help to do more work.

We're here for moral support, if that helps any.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

He should be fine right now. They put a stent in last night and he should be able to leave Tuesday. Not sure of any clubs around me, but I do have a freind that would help but again, he doesn't have a respirator, and I'm not going to pester somebody to go buy one just so they can help me.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Put a post on Craigslist an tell them your story. Ask if there's any boat entusiasts that Have the right equipment that would want to help a teenager learn the ropes. If I was in your area and saw a post like that, I'd come running to help!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Glad your dads doing ok ! I would think maybe getting out and helping you with the boat may just be some good therapy . I know the grinding is tough but if ya keep at it it will be over before you know it . Now just think when you get it done and ready to splash all the kool chicks will be wanting to go boating and hang out ! That should be incentive enough for a 14 yr old boat restorer !:cool:

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

This can't be easy can it... I was cleaning the garage and it got dark so I just threw all the stuff in the boat. I was rolling it into the garage then it hit an extension cord and it ripped the part the front wheels were screwed onto off... Then I had to spend the next hour slowly winching it in the garage with rachet strap over carpet.

Chart

Cadet

1. My family had a 14' Fleetform all my boyhood years. I spent a lot of time in that boat, and can help with info on how it was originally. Not necessarily construction details, but, for example, the lack of a floor. It had none. You could see the fiberglass in the forward part of the hull flex as it hit waves.

2. I'd suggest you reconsider trying for a perfect finish, and instead get one that is functional. You'll scar this boat learning how to dock and use it, and it is much less painful to do that to a less than perfect boat.

3. Your vocabulary, and ease with communicating with adults on this tread is very impressive for a 13 year old. Quite amazing.