1955 Plywood Bryant PROJECT

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anyone Know on this one?

WoodonGlass,

I think you are right ...

I was out in the garage looking at it some more and I agree I think a Polished aluminum or stainless steel sleeve would look pretty good over the transom. I will start looking around for someone to make it for me.. Then maybe just find a rubber pad like a welcome matt cut to size between motor and Sleeve.. I dont know Yet... Hmmm... It will fall together..

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went to the local Metal shop today with a drawing and they are going to make a sleeve with 1/8" aluminum for me.. $70.00 Then I will Polish and wax.. sounds like the best way to do it was to make a L shape and a plate on the inside.. Reason is the bend going over the transom which is 1 5/8 " inside dia. was going to be difficult to bend in one piece..

Plate will be 20" wide and 9" long with lower corners cut off in angles.. Then inside plate 20" wide and 4" long..

I think it will look good..:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Great Price! I can't wait to see it. I KNOW you will be happy with the look of it

I'm just sayin...:D

Lil_Stinker

Cadet

Let me just wipe off my chin & congratulate you on a dream find.. its nice your uncle kept it inside & not out in the elements.. I love natural finish woods.

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Great Price! I can't wait to see it. I KNOW you will be happy with the look of it"

Thanks Woodonglass, They said it will be ready if few days.. I thought it was a fair price..

"Let me just wipe off my chin & congratulate you on a dream find.. its nice your uncle kept it inside & not out in the elements.. I love natural finish woods."

Thanks Lil_Stinker

It is in great condition... Actually its a really good first restore project.. Everything is in pretty good condition.. Best of all this has been fun! Everday I try to get my honey do list done early in the day and then play time. I love the wood also..
:D:D

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just finished with the second coat of paint on the bottom of the boat.. I painted it the same color as original.. It was a pain sanding underneath but I was able to get all of the boat by moving it up and down on the trailer.. Just need to let it dry for few days so I can hit the areas where the trailer rollers are on the boat.. ( thats a shadow in the picture)

2njw0gj.jpg

Now working on the inside of the boat and cleaning it up in there.. I removed the seats and now ready to start scrapping and sanding the boat. I have decided to go with a Grayish Blue for color and will paint the inside all one color for now..

2iht6zc.jpg

Seems strange standing in there with the seats out..

Kinda wondering if I leave the bench seats as it was or do I change up the sitting pattern differently.. Any opinions?

2s16uy1.jpg

:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah,

Heres my opinion, If you change her, I will drive up there and Kick your behind all over the yard, your neighbors, yard, and the guy across the streets yard.

But, that's just my opinion

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is funny... O,k O.k I will keep it original.. lol Even my wife started laughing..

:redface:

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Heres my opinion, If you change her, I will drive up there and Kick your behind all over the yard, your neighbors, yard, and the guy across the streets yard.

And- I'd be RIGHT behind him... :)

This NEEDS to be kept as original as possible. It deserves it- It's in too great of a condition NOT to keep it that way!

-Andrew

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah,

But, that's just my opinion

I am pretty sure you would have a LOT of people following woodonglass.

Biged007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only thing I will or can add to this thread is at one point you claimed " I am no mechanic" well I beg to differ you sir do have some skills and even more patience Absolutely beautiful job you should be very proud.
Ed

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone.. You have no I Idea how much fun I am having with this project.. The last few days I have been getting out of bed in the morning moving real slow (I am sore..) The positions I have been sitting in and bending down to sand the bottom of the boat and yesterday sanding the inside of the boat.. I have been using some muscles that I have not used for awhile. But saying that... It's aches and pains that are well worth it.. I get playing on the boat and cannot stop.... From what I am hearing about changing the seat positions.... I best leave it alone.. I can see the line in the front yard already stacking up with you guys... :eek:

Thanks....

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

I only found this thread the other day and I just wanted to say that I hate you. :p :D Seriously though, that is a gorgeous boat and I envy you for living every boat/car/pinball machine restorers dream of finding a near mint classic hidden away in a barn for decades. I love the looks of those old wooden boats. They have a sense of class and style you just can't get these days. And having a working vintage motor is just icing on the cake. You have done a great job so far on breathing new life into this blast from the past. Thank you for sharing your project & pictures with the rest of us!

BTW, if you change anything on that boat I'm getting in that @ss kicking lineup. :D:D:D

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks NW Redneck,

The line of Individuals is getting longer and longer .. I best leave the boat original for sure...:):)

So my day is starting out good. I pulled into driveway this morning coming home from work and found garbage scattered throughout the yard. Looks like Yogi the bear came and visited me last night.. We have bears coming into the area and getting into garbage cans lately. I have been lucky until now.. looks like cans need to be pulled in at night.. WHAT A MESS! :mad:

Too get back to the boat issue.. Hoping to get yard cleaned up and then do some painting on the inside of the boat.. Should have some new pics soon.. I am also hoping to get a phone call that the aluminum sleeve for transom will be done soon.

2n8ua1k.jpg

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has taken awhile..... but I was able to get the inside cleaned up for painting with alot of scraping and sanding..

:eek:

30jmbr8.jpg

Then went and cleaned up the Wire Harness ...

29220js.jpg

Then I started painting.. I have decided to go with Grayish blue inside..

2zjjm94.jpg

I still have some painting to do.. about 3/4 way done. I will need to do a second coat for sure... Next I think I may try to texture the paint on the sides like it was original.. here is an example..

This is what it will look like when completed..
301ngqu.jpg

dmweyrauch

Cadet

Just wanted to say thats a great looking boat in the condition it's in. Awsome boat you will never go wrong with that boat

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you ever eat, sleep or work? You are making tremendous progress and its looking awesome!

BTW, I will also be in the line in your front yard! :D

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks dmweyrauch,

I cant wait to get it in the water... Its been a perfect starter project..

RobbyA,

Lol... I'm addicted... I come home from work and get the honey do lists done and then go play on the boat.. I am having a great time on this project.. I was telling WoodonGlass about pulling the wife out and showing her where I am on the boat.... but she doesnt care! Its you guys that appreciate what has been done.. Thanks for posting and watching..
Cheers!!!:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey mt,

They paint sprinkle is called a Zolatone finish. Buy a Cheap Wallpaper Glue brush and it works wonders for that. I have been feeling like crap lately and now have found out why. Gall Bladder. Having surgery on the 28th so maybe I'll get past this and start to feel like working on my boat again.

Keep up your good work

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Woodonglass,

Crap!!!!... I feel for ya.. I see it all the time with the business Im in.. I understand how you feel.. :( it can hurt at times... Hang in there!... hope you feel better.. Thanks, Keep an eye on me and keep me on the right path while your recovering.. Also let us know when you are up and working again on your boat!