1955 Plywood Bryant PROJECT

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Anyone Know on this one?

Lookin great! Will defenately turn heads when completed.

My 1st power boat way back in the mid 60s was a 12' plywood runabout with an 18hp Evinrude that I had given to me as just a hull. Cleaned it all up then painted it with donated marine paint from one of my neighbors. Then added a small windshield also donated by another neighbor. I recall the 1st launch my brother, a friend and I used old pipe to roll it down to the river. I was 13/14 then. Great old memory!

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a thought, on the areas that are painted saying "bryant" get some good pics of those before you strip the boat of finish. There are people who know how to silk screen who could help you duplicate those decals or painted areas. You might consider getting tracing paper to get an exact patern. That way if you want to duplicate the original design its still available.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That boat is amazing! WOW, I am truly speechless! What a great find, I cannot believe how nice of shape it is in for sitting so long!

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ive decided not to strip the boat of banners or stain .. I think stripping the boat would be a bad move. I did talk to few people that have restored boats and I agree with them it would best to leave the boat as original as possible.. The Bryant Labels are actually in fair condition.. But if they where in need of replacement. I do have some good pictures of them.. Thanks for the suggestion..

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer

That looks very similar to my old 1960 40 horse evinrude. The controls and switches are all identicle. I just finished doing a restore on the engine a few months ago right before I sold the boat, so let me know if you have any questions or issues getting that one back to life again!

GREAT looking boat!!

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow what a looker! Lucky dog. Wish I could just happen on a beautiful antique like that.

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm updating to let everyone know where I am at... So far I have 4 coats of Varnish on the boat. I did the first two coats of varnish and then sanded lightly with 320 grit sand paper between the last two coats. I think its looking pretty good. I have been working on the Aluminum strips on the boat between painting. They have turned out pretty good. Lots of sanding on those. They could probly use one more round with 1500 grit paper.. I figure I will need to do two more coats of varnish on the boat then let it sit for few days and then flip the boat over and start working on the bottom.

9sb2xk.jpg

2po4cqg.jpg

8yzx2w.jpg

14wakd5.jpg

20b0qxj.jpg

f2ni0.jpg

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!! Show piece.

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Today I have started working on the outboard motor and finished with last varnish coat on the hull and deck.. I placed the aluminum trim back on the sides.. I have ordered some parts for the motor today. when I drained the gear oil in lower unit I found water in there. I will change all the seals and bearings and gaskets in the lower unit. When I get that rebuilt I will pull motor and then flip the boat over and repaint the bottom and start working on the trailer. I am sure I will have to rebuild the carb and maybe few other things.

34zj4ic.jpg

nbso5t.jpg

2sbqtyb.jpg

25pia8p.jpg

34y8v3d.jpg

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Great job man, looks awesome!:)

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gasket kit came in today for lower unit.. I have no experience on this.. It does seem pretty common sense in pulling seals and re-install. But experience on other projects always proves me wrong.. Does anyone have suggestions or watch out situations on this? I am at work till 8:00 am tomorrow. Trying to read up as much as I can before I tackle this one..

SigSaurP229

Commander

I don't know but it sure is beautifull

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you, for the comment ... Im really enjoying this project!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Sa-WEET! Nice work since you brought it home. Have you discovered Wooden Boat magazine yet? Great stuff for anyone into boats...but especially those with old woodies. As for your E-rude outboard, there is an expert on this board...F_R. Go to this thread, http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=423224, then click on his name to send him a private message. He may find this thread, but then again...those old Rudes are great, but they will suck a 6-gallon tank dry pretty quickly at WOT. Good luck with your project...post more pix when you can...we love eye candy.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Sa-WEET! Nice work since you brought it home. Have you discovered Wooden Boat magazine yet? Great stuff for anyone into boats...but especially those with old woodies. As for your E-rude outboard, there is an expert on this board...F_R. Go to this thread, http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=423224, then click on his name to send him a private message. He may find this thread, but then again...those old Rudes are great, but they will suck a 6-gallon tank dry pretty quickly at WOT. Good luck with your project...post more pix when you can...we love eye candy.

Also - replace the spark plugs early and often and when you do make sure the gap is correct:D

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Today I started rebuilding lower unit.. Good thing I'm a Paramedic Fire Captain and not a Mechanic... It took me awhile to get things right.. At least I hope I did.. I had a good helping hand towards the end with Jack Daniels.. I did finally get everything back in together.. It took me awhile to get that darn Philips screw that connects to gear rod lined up on the lower unit.. Lessons learned. All and All it was a good day. It has been raining here today, so it was a good day to spend in the garage... Now its time to cook Tacos for Family!

ka6a0g.jpg

1zqu7th.jpg

9a1z6c.jpg

dysi1s.jpg

68gguc.jpg

ml1p2d.jpg

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yesterday I was planning on waking the Evinrude... I filled the Lower gear unit with Gear oil.. Placed a little bit of oil down Spark plug holes the night before and turned flywheel few times. Found a storage container and filled it with water and submerged lower unit.. Reconnected all connections to the motor and placed the battery in the boat. checked fuel lines and cleaned the fuel bowl. (Pretty clean) Gave her a drink of fuel from fuel tank.. Crossed my fingers and then switched the ignition to start...... NOTHING.... Not a click... Not a noise... Went back to the electrical box and started checking for power.. Found that my Solenoid was out of order.. Ran to town 45 miles away to nearist Marine shop and they had nothing on the shelves. I came home and ordered one here on iboats.. I will have to wait till it comes in. I did take a wire and bypassed the solenoid and it did turn over. I did not want to push my luck so stopped right there knowing it was the solenoid. Today, in the mail I picked up the service manual. Kinda disappointed. I was hoping it would show me more about the motor. I guess that is why they call it a service manual..

242ho48.jpg

6f2mq1.jpg

2iuz1ih.jpg

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You can jump it over. Disconnect the harness at the motor. Use a fresh/charged battery and a set of jumper cables. Pos on battery to connection on starter. Neg cable to neg on battery and touch the other end to the powerhead to make the connection...otherwise if you use the Pos to make the connection you will get spark at the batt or starter connection. Throttle to Start, shifter in N and choke out until it fires.

Stampeder

Seaman Apprentice

mthuirer:

NICE WORK on the hull......You're doing such a great job that when you're done I'll give you double what you paid to it....:D:D.
Seriously, you are going to have a real treasure there and hopefully it will become more of a family heirloom than it already is.

To test the starting til the new solenoid arrives, just get yourself an old ford solenoid. They used to use the same one as you have and they were mounted on the inside fender of the cars and trucks.

Keep the pictures coming.....we are all enjoying your seamanship.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I sent you a PM about a Manual for your Motor.