1955 Plywood Bryant PROJECT

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Anyone Know on this one?

Thanks Woodonglass, I will send you that picture soon.. I have some guy coming here in few minutes to buy a 5th wheel hitch.. Finally getting rid of it.. I will head out there right now and take a picture of it. Not sure how to PM but I will figure it out.. I will get it sent to you in next day or so..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just click on my avatar name woodonglass and then click private message. In the private message send me your personal email address and then I'll send you mine and you can then attach the jpg files to my personal email address.

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I made it thru the 4th July at work. Just a couple small Dune grass fires and lots of Medical calls.. Spent 72 hrs on shift and then Tuesday morning wife and I took off on the motorcycle to Leavenworth Wa. for couple days to relax and get out of town... Now its time to get back to work on the trailer. I have started painting some of the parts.

20atg86.jpg

2cymv54.jpg

21b9mab.jpg

nfqxco.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1955 Plywood Bryant PROJECT

Lookin good. Still working on cleanin up the Decal. Should have it done this weekend.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Nice job, great work!

Regarding the sludge, to me it looks like there is too much oil in the mix. I know you researched the mix, but with todays TCW3 oil, you can get away with a learner oil mix. 24:1 does seem rich, even for an older outboard.

David Hendry

Cadet

Hi what a stunning find..... I have just inherited a vintage boat and motor. Plywood contruction, a little smaller than yours, with a 1960 Evinrude 40 hp Bigtwin to accompany. The motor seems to be in reasonable shape, although not running but it has been sat in a cellar for 20 years or so, And the boat sat in a garage for about 10 of those, then left outside in the beautiful weather in the uk. So is in a very sorry state. Although from what i have seen it does seam to be only the plywood and fins which will need replacing. We will have to see lol. Anyway i will post some pics when i get it indoors. I doubt it will ever be as beautiful as yours though.

Congratulations on the referb Looks Stunning

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks woodonglass, no hurry... I have been working on that other project boat. The SEARAY. One thing leads to another.. I did get the motor running which lead to the I/O pump motor not working. Found a used one on ebay. replaced that part. Trailer needed to be fixed. Found the parts for that.. now Motor is over heating big time. I am hoping its the impeller and not crud caught in the heat exchanger.. I think I like working on the old stuff better.. Lol

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

David hendry,

Good luck with your boat.. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have with mine. These guys on this site are very useful and have great Ideas.. Good luck. I would love to see pics of it as you go.. Send some pics to me when you get a chance.

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mark 42,

I agree on the oil.. I am going to try couple things. I changed the plugs and going to use different oil next time.. Possibly little less.. small steps.. till I find the happy place.. Thanks for the comment. I am half way there with trailer.. I am ready to get back in the water. I am missing out.. The sunshine is here and I have her on Blocks.. What was I thinking!

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've got 2 of those '59 larks. And a '57, a '58. and a few others.

DO NOT use less than 24:1. You'll regret it- Modern oil or not. You will destroy it.

They are dirty motors- They spit out almost as much oil/gas mix as they burn at times, especially when running slower. They are just filthy :)

Enjoy that boat- It is looking great!

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was just talking to another guy earlier at the fire station. He said the same thing. so I will leave the mix alone. Thanks for confirming what he said. I will leave the mix alone and just try the hotter plugs and see how she does.. Thanks..

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Getting closer on the trailer.. I have most of it back together. still need to get the new rollers back on and rewire. Hoping by next week.
Depending on few things may get new decals made up if possible.. (no Hurry WoodonGlass) lol

win3v6.jpg

21czamr.jpg

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the last few weeks I have been having problems with the boat running at 1/2 to full throttle. I could not figure out what was happening. I changed out points, coils, everything that I could think of and still having problems....

Update.... I was thinking.. O.k I did the rebuild on the Carb. It must be there.. I attempted and attempted to adjust the slow and fast needles just as it says here in the forum.. I could get the motor to run nicely here at the house with water flowing but as soon as I placed the boat on the water and ran it.. I would stall or appear to flood out.. Every time I gave it full throttle I would stall out.. I did this for about 3 times.. Boat in water boat out of water.. Very Frustrating.. Just when I thought I figured the needle placement here at home it would prove me wrong on the lake.. Try paddling back to the dock few times with people watching.. You just want to start throwing things.. ( No.. I did not ) Yesterday I attempted it one more time in the lake and same thing happened again!.. So this morning I started all over again. First Checking my points gap. .020.. then over to spark plugs for spark.. Everything looked good. Then over to the fuel pump.. Took it apart and cleaned the fuel filter.. Everything looked O.K. Then started to blow threw the fuel lines.. Noticed that when I squeezed the fuel bulb from fuel tank that I was leaking air some how.. I noticed the Fuel connector on the motor was allowing air into main few line to the fuel pump. Which made sense. When the motor wanted more fuel it was sucking in air also. Not noticeable at low speeds but at High throttle it was sucking in air. Went down to the store replaced the fuel connector with new one.. I have pressure in the hose bulb from tank to motor. Hooked boat back up to water.. adjusted carb needles. Went down to the lake.. YES! Full speed with out stalling. Boat is up and running so well that someone on the lake gave me the finger! My wake was far away from his place. He is just grumpy citizen that thinks we live on a no ski Lake.. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.. I'm a Happy Boater again!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It's always the little stuff. Glad you got it worked out. That guy on the lake... He was just telling you your boat was NUMBER ONE!!!!!