Would You Lone Your Boat To Anyone?? Poll

Would You Lone Your Boat To Anyone?? Poll

• Yes, if they had a BIG bank account...

Votes: 31 8.5%
  • Fat chance, it's mine and I don't share.......

Votes: 216 59.3%
  • I've done it and would NEVER do it again........

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • No problem, I am a sucker

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • I've done it and had no problems and would do it again

Votes: 37 10.2%
  • OTHER: Explain your answer for other.

Votes: 56 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

penst8grad

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Would You Lone Your Boat To Anyone?? Poll

I would let 2 people and neither is my wife. Both are the guys that I have logged thousands of motorcycle time with. We swap bikes and I know that they respect me and my toys.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Other. It would depend on the person's skill with a boat and their responsibility.
BTW you guys are a pretty tight bunch:p:)

RAPACHI

Cadet

When I started this poll I didn't think I'd get so many differnt stories. I thought everyone would say "NO".

As I said in my other thread, I've given my friend a second chance. Since then the boat is repaired and is running better than ever. One thing I did was rigged the gas linkage. The boat does between 48 and 52mph and being a 17' can be tricky to handle as someone said earlier. I made it so it will only go 35 to 40mph that way I won't have costly repairs when he uses it. I run it about 3k he runs it topped out. I blamed it on needing a new linkage cable. I think he knows what I did but won't mess with it. Either way MY BOAT MY RULES.......

Thanks for taking the poll

Turin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't lend it or hire it to anyone (except my dad its his boat (but my engine).
Because if there might happen something the owner stays responsible.
Let them buy there own boat mine is for sale if they pay enough... :D

Mr Happy

Cadet

Yes, I would and have. A few years ago a friend of over 30 years asked to use the boat to take to Dale Hollow. We live in Indiana. I gave him my boat and my suburban to drive it down there. No regrets.

Same year next door neighbor spent a week an hour away on a lake. Just gave him the boat he had a tow vehicle.

My suburban has been in more places than me. Friends and relatives have taken it to Washington D.C., Gatlinburg, Michigan and a few other places.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

its a boat who cares anyone who wants to can have it for the day as long as i'm not useing it so good luck getting it

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I've loaned my boat out to boat-savvy friends and family. I live on the water so when my brother shows up with his family, I have no problem letting him use the boats. He grew up on the same water and is familiar with the area, plus learned boats under the same watchful eyes I did - Dad's. Only thing I jab him on is that he left the tank almost empty (but did slide me a $50 bill in a thank you card a week later, that I think actually originated from his wife).

I've also loaned boats to friends who have had boat issues of their own. One friend, who lives on an island, had the motor blow on one boat and had some other issue with his other boat leaving him no way to get to and from the island. He had the boat for a week and even left me with a full tank!

Of course, it helps that I have more than one boat so I am not left "boatless" while one is loaned out...

- Scott

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

Geeze! I sure hope the little ***-wipe pays for the repairs!

He hasn't. When I ask him about it he gets angry and defensive. After this experience with him, I don't care to interact with him. I look at him as a spoiled, disrespectful 13yr old child trapped in a mans body. I really control my feeling to give him a beating.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

took the fam out for a boat ride.
let my brother drive. i was sitting beside the motor.
he was 200 yards from shore.
all of a sudden the waves looked "funny"
the way they look just before that sudden stop!!
i was just fast enough to hit my head on the window frame
skag, prop.
nuff said

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

HECK NO! I also learned the hardway. Loaned it out to a good buddy and they forgot to raise the motor after loading onto trailer. Towed all the way up the ramp and took off about a half inch off the skeg.

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, man, you guys must have been livid. I know I would be, even if it was an accident. If they ask, I humourously tell them to get their own, little do they know I'm dead serious.

kwdude11

Cadet

Nope! the boat is mine and paid for, i wouldn't mind some one at the helm while im there but no loaning at all without me.

cheers!:D

kwikk9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Negative. Family and friends all know how meticulous I am when it comes to my boat. I doubt they would ask to borrow it. Why tempt fate and generate hard feelings if there's a problem. I'll take them fishing, cruising, tubing anytime, but, I'm the Captain.

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

OTHER: If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

At this particular point in time, no. I don't happen to have anyone in my family life at the moment who is qualified to operate it. I do have a few friends who are but someone would have to be both highly qualified and a VERY good friend before I would let them use it.

blueoval1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was hit with the stupid stick about 15yrs ago! Was the first time I let someone use my boat and the last! Boat was totaled after he hit underwater obstacle in less than 3ft of water at 40mph!
End of my boat..... and end of my "friendship" with my "good buddy"!
Never loan out your boat , your truck , your wife , or your dog!(not neccesarily in that order:))

JimMachinery

Seaman Apprentice

I don't even loan out my tools - they never come back clean or in good working order (if they come back at all!).

Forget about my boat. If you loan your boat to anyone, be prepared for big repair bills or worse.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Just remember if you are the regestered owner of a boat, car, motercycle, etc. you are libal for anything that happens with that vehicle on matter what the circumstances.

muleteer1

Cadet

I've got two friends I'd loan it to. Both of them have been around boats all their lives. One of them went with me to check out the boat I have now. Other than those two, no.:D

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Just remember if you are the regestered owner of a boat, car, motercycle, etc. you are libal for anything that happens with that vehicle on matter what the circumstances.

In what state? The law here states that whomever is negligent is responsible, except when it comes to minors in which case the person who loans it to the minor is automatically the responsible party.

PS - I voted for other, because I would loan the boat to my wife or child or extended family, but not my friends. They only get to go out with it if I'm there.

Status
Not open for further replies.