Would You Lone Your Boat To Anyone?? Poll

Would You Lone Your Boat To Anyone?? Poll

• Yes, if they had a BIG bank account...

Votes: 31 8.5%
  • Fat chance, it's mine and I don't share.......

Votes: 216 59.3%
  • I've done it and would NEVER do it again........

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • No problem, I am a sucker

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • I've done it and had no problems and would do it again

Votes: 37 10.2%
  • OTHER: Explain your answer for other.

Votes: 56 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

45Auto

Commander
Re: Would You Lone Your Boat To Anyone?? Poll

Kind of sad (and maybe a comment on our society), all of the people on this board who don't have any good enough friends they would trust enough to loan a boat out to.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Mr. Happy. Hopefully he enjoyed his life and realized that the people who cared about him are much more important than any of the "stuff" (boats, cars, houses, lawnmowers, etc).

ziggy

Admiral

Kind of sad (and maybe a comment on our society), all of the people on this board who don't have any good enough friends they would trust enough to loan a boat out to.
i dunno, piloting a boat is nothing like getting behind the wheel of a car. if you don't know boats or the rules of boating, it is not a natural to get in and operate it...... years ago, i let family drive my new to me waverunner. didn't have a scratch on it till i let family have at it. i even warned them about the nasty dock pipe sticking out at the marina gas station. to no avail. came back with a nice deep scratch in it... as for loaning my boat out. i've one friend that i'd lend it to. he has a boat and we go out together frequently. he also has the means to fix my boat should he damage it.... if he would lend me his boat, i don't know. but i don't have the means to fix it since his is a new boat. so, i would disqualify myself from taking his boat out w/o him present....

boats are not toys....... they're most dangerous if operated incorrectly....

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Currently, only my son is allowed to drive the boat without me being there.

I would not allow anyone else, unless we made several outings with them at the helm. This would include them docking, gassing the rig up, etc. Just to see how they handled every thing.

Since I don't know that many people that want to borrow the boat, I am fairly safe. We do have others that stay at our lake place, but they are never, ever, allowed to use the boat. I do have my own special method of tying up the boat and tying down the cover, I can tell if anyone has fiddled with anything.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

I have one friend that I would not think twice about handing the keys to my boat. I borrow his from time to time over the years as well. He has been boating for over 20 years. Other than that nobody. Not the wife, father, brother or Jesus. (My BOAT!!!) get your own!!! LOL

Too much money invested and I would go nuts until it was safely back in my hands.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Its just not a good idea to loan a boat to someone who has not taken a boating safety course. Its not like loaning your car, there is so much more involved in launching, tying, loading, and navagating the marina, that a simple mistake can cause some serious damage to a few million dollar boats.

Right now, I am teaching the older teens and my sister and brother what is involved in owning a boat.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I voted that I have loaned out my boat and would again. Having said that, I would not loan to just any yahoo that asked. It will have to be someone that I know has the knowledge and experience to handle the boat/trailer. I have several relatives and friends that fit that category. Most own their boats themselves and wouldn't ask, but I did have one occasion where I was asked and let it go. This was an old boat and I knew that the person I was loaning it to knew what he was doing and would also take care of any damages although I didn't expect there to be any.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Our children only. They have learned to use the boat properly, know all the safety needed and are extremely careful. They all have their boaters certification and to date have never abused the privilege we have allowed them. Anyone else no way !!!!

peckus

Cadet

For me I would for some people but my boat isn't worth much so no big deal.

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only person I would "loan" my boat to would be my brother. I trust him implicitly. If it was anyone else, no way. I might consider RENTING my boat to someone for a large amount of money, with a very large deposit that would cover the cost of REPLACING my boat should they damage/destroy it. Then again, there's the issue of liability... Unless that person had watercraft liability insurance that would cover him/her while operating my boat, I wouldn't allow it. Also, if they do something that injures them, could I be held liable? Probably. It's a can of worms... Now that I've thought through it, no.

Summer Fun

Banned

My marina owner [ Ron ] always takes my boat, When i'm not there its the 3rd largest boat there. He goes and gets broken down or sunk boaters and pays me very well for useing my boat. :). So yes i do.
DSCF1424.sized.jpg

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Absolutely not.
I've let other boaters "take the helm" for a few moments while under way. I've let one friend and his wife spend the weekend on the boat in it's slip at the marina. Other than that, no-way.

jmerc57

Cadet

I learned a long time ago there are but a few things you may aquire in life that you just dont loan out nor borrow from anyone, Heres the list, Feel free to add something if ya want.

#1 your BOAT
#2 your Motorcycle
#3 your Gun
#4 your Wife

JeffSmith

Seaman Apprentice

Other: When I was a kid and couldn't afford my own car, my dad let me use his. What kind of son would I be if I didn't let him take the boat out!?! He is the only one though!! Aside from him, NO ONE touches my boat, my tools, my car, or my old lady!

reelfishin

Captain

I wouldn't loan my boat out to anyone, and I doubt any of my buddies would even ask. The owner of the boat launches the boat, starts the boat, and drives the boat, it's not worth the hard feelings later if something goes wrong.
Most of the guys I fish with usually prefer me to run the boat when we go, but that's mostly because I've just got more experience on the water. Especially when it comes to docking and loading. (There's a few which I wouldn't boat with unless I was running the boat). I've fixed some pretty bad docking accident damage over the years as well as some other pretty serious items on boats that were loaned out, the most common are either running the motor out of the water, dragging the lower unit up the ramp and/or down the road or just plain crashing the dock.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i would let someone borrow my truck, before my boat.
less things to mess up in a truck.
everyone knows how to drive one too.

cbavier

Lieutenant

I would never lend my boat to anyone. Not even a family member. Likewise, I would never borrow a boat from anyone. Lending and borrowing a boat is just not a good idea.

Amen to this. I can't hardly beliveve anyone would even have the gall to ask to borrow a boat. However I did have my sister ask to borrow my 35ft Fifth Wheel. Another fat chance. I told her absolutely no!!

Nobody takes care of your stuff like you do. Simply because they have nothing invested.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

HELL NO!!! i dont loan out things of value, as most people dont take care of other peoples things.

nxbusa

Cadet

I would have voted but I didn't see the H-NO button.

Status
Not open for further replies.