Would You Lone Your Boat To Anyone?? Poll

Would You Lone Your Boat To Anyone?? Poll

• Yes, if they had a BIG bank account...

Votes: 31 8.5%
  • Fat chance, it's mine and I don't share.......

Votes: 216 59.3%
  • I've done it and would NEVER do it again........

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • No problem, I am a sucker

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • I've done it and had no problems and would do it again

Votes: 37 10.2%
  • OTHER: Explain your answer for other.

Votes: 56 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

2001Crownie

Cadet
Re: Would You Lone Your Boat To Anyone?? Poll

I just had my ball gears badly worn on my 84 Formula OMC by letting a VERY good friend use it. My question is, would you loan your boat out.

How did your friend wear you ball gears?...what causes abnormal ball gear wear?....could they possibly have already been "badly worn" and just crapped while he was using the boat?.....not defending him,just anticipating his defense....:>)

river 101

Cadet

never loan your boat or your tools, cause there is something always gone when it gets returned

wanesweb

Recruit

i HAVE A FRIEND WHO KNOWS BOATS IF HE BARROWED MINE HE WOULD ADMIT TO HITTING SOMETHING AND HE COULD AFFORD TO BE RESPONSABLE AND HE WOULD BE RESPONSABLE SO YES TO HIM i WOULD SAY YES TO ALL OTHERS i WOULD SAY NO.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

A good friend of mine knew I would be busy and would not be using my boat on the weekend. He said he has family visiting from out of state and asked if he could use my boat to take them fishing and cruising. Of course, gas was on him and he'd pay for any damage. So, I told him okay, have a good time.
Then I woke up:rolleyes:.

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would let JB borrow my boat, and tashasdaddy. Other than that, nobody:D

greenhorn1

Seaman Apprentice

for a family member or a experance driver

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sure, anyone who wants to borrow it can......they can also fill the tanks prior to returning it to me......150 gallons @ $4.55 a gallon = $682.00......
Funny thing..no one has asked???????:D:D:D

bchboater

Cadet

Never, there is too much liability. There was an accident a while back where a jet ski ran over another one killing one person and paralyzing the other. The owner, who was not driving but let his friends use it, is being sued. The more important thing is the three families whose lives are ruined.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

No simply because I wouldn't ask to borrow someone else's boat. Besides if you loan it to a friend and the break it, would you forgive them and pay for it or potentially damage a friendship over a boat. Big things like boats should be loaned/borrowed.

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only person I would even CONSIDER loaning my boat to would be my dad. I doubt I will ever have to make that call though, because I am fairly confident he would never ask to borrow it.

Rogue427

Petty Officer 1st Class

I gave my FIL his own key and he can take it anytime I'am not using it.:eek: Nobody else uses my boat!

SturgeonLake

Seaman Apprentice

I'd lend mine to anyone else who has paid an equal portion of the insurance payments. Who could possibly stay friends if they caused their friend's insurance rates to go up?

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Also would not lend it to my brother. He's not an idiot, but just never boated as much as I did as a kid and has not had a boat of his own ever. Maybe after a few times with him I would, but I just think he lacks the experience.

That would be it. Anyone else asks and I'd just explain it's an old, finicky boat and I don't trust it enough.

Ayup. He's in town visiting and figured he could borrow the boat.

Did the whole "it's finicky to start" speal. I'll take him out on the weekend, or maybe tomorrow night, and see how he handles it. Besides, I still have to see how my new prop works and may have another one to test as well.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

One of the main difficulties with boats, as we all know, is that they don't have wheels and brakes.

When I was 25, my brother took me out skiing on his boat, 15 years before I bought one. He let me drive it - no problem (but not pulling a skier.) But he also let me dock the boat - a big mistake. I came a little too close, a little too fast, and put a nice gash on the side, just ahead of the fender he'd put out.

That was 27 years ago. He still brings it up about once a year... ;)

Dave

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't loan my boat to anyone I wouldn't loan my wife to

Mr Happy

Cadet

Yes, I would and have. A few years ago a friend of over 30 years asked to use the boat to take to Dale Hollow. We live in Indiana. I gave him my boat and my suburban to drive it down there. No regrets.

Same year next door neighbor spent a week an hour away on a lake. Just gave him the boat he had a tow vehicle.

My suburban has been in more places than me. Friends and relatives have taken it to Washington D.C., Gatlinburg, Michigan and a few other places.
POSTED OCT. 16. 2007

Year later and would like to comment on my post from a year ago. The friend, (30yrs) that I loaned the boat to died unexpectedly a few days after my post. He died on his birthday, 48. As I sat at the funeral I thought about him and his family skiing in my boat on vacation. I am sure it is one of the many memories his family has to share with each other.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Unsupervised use of the boat would only be my wife (she's learning), and my Dad, rest his soul. Drive while I'm there? Almost anyone. My Dad had me driving his 21' International when I was 7, and then the '77 SeaRay 24' everywhere we went. I believe it is my duty as a father to teach my son and daughter (12 & 7 respectively) all there is to know about boating and boat safety. Hopefully, when they are 17, and want to get their on vessel, they'll be responsible (as much as a 17yo can be), and not be knuckleheads on the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.