Would You Lone Your Boat To Anyone?? Poll

Would You Lone Your Boat To Anyone?? Poll

• Yes, if they had a BIG bank account...

Votes: 31 8.5%
  • Fat chance, it's mine and I don't share.......

Votes: 216 59.3%
  • I've done it and would NEVER do it again........

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • No problem, I am a sucker

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • I've done it and had no problems and would do it again

Votes: 37 10.2%
  • OTHER: Explain your answer for other.

Votes: 56 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rndn

Commander
Re: Would You Lone Your Boat To Anyone?? Poll

A friend of mine let his deaf friend borrow the boat and the guy never heard the tone warning him the engine was not getting the proper oil on a Johnson VRO. After the power head was replaced he now lets no one borrow it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I have a few friends that I would - and have - let borrow mine. I have borrowed theirs from time to time. It always comes back in better shape than when it left. That goes both ways no matter who's doing the borrowing.

I sold our boat just before a couples tournament earlier this year. Then I had to deal with a mad wife. 2 friends offered their boat just to save my bacon. My buddy with a Mako got upset (nicely) because I used our other friend's Pathfinder. And there were new LED tail lights on the Pathfinder's trailer because his were not in the best of shape. He tried to pay me but I wouldn't hear of it. He'd do the same for me. I know because he has.

Family? The wife, absolutely. Not too sure about the sons. The daughter likes to go but has no desire to drive.

daniel2229

Seaman

I have had my boat for six months now. My son-in-law and son have both driven the boat. Neither feels confident to attempt loading or unloading the boat. So, until they have done trailering under my supervision, I don't think they are ready to take it out solo.

I let my son-in-law drive it a lot this summer and once he pulled my daughter on the tube. She immediately informed him that no one but Dad is allowed to pull her in the future! He likes to nail the throttle to WOT all the time. I have to ask him to pull it back a few hundred RPM's, so I am not sure he would do that if he were by himself. Mmmm.

I guess I'm not ready yet.

Devious

Seaman

i can count the people i would lend my ski to on 1 hand. we have been friends for a very long time and they wouldn't take it from me unless they had a complete understanding of all the rules, regs, and safety stuff. they also don't ride past their limits. we have sucessfully shared water craft, snow mobiles, atvs, OHVs, and cars/trucks.

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only person I'd feel comfortable loaning my boat to would be my father. He's been around boats for 50 years. Besides, he let me "borrow" his boats since I was 13. I probably put 325 of the 350 hours on the ski boat he has.........so I guess I owe him :D

erikgreen

Captain

I'd loan it to any of the guys I scuba dive with who run boats - they're the people I learned to drive it from, and they have many more hours in boats than anyone else I know (25+ years of summer charters).

They'd probably take better care of it than I would :)

Erik

QC

Supreme Mariner

My 5 hp 14 ft. tinny, OK . . . the Carrera . . . uhhhhh . . . nope.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

NOPE! Unless they left a CASH deposit of around 10,000.00

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

I've got lots of great friends, but as far as loaning my boat...my two brothers, a nephew and my closest buddy are the only people I'd even consider. I'd loan the 4 of them anything I own.........except maybe my Ric 12-string.

Bigprairie1

Commander

The quick answer is yes. The qualified answer is: only to someone who I know and trust. One friend of mine is an extremely fussy, careful guy who loves driving things...very carefully and correctly. It's amazing to see someone take care of their stuff the way he does and also handle it the way he does. As a result I gave him a spare key to my boat and welcomed him to use....just fill it up with gas.
A few other friends (ie: jet boat guy)....maybe not so much.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Other, I do Loan my boat to some of my friends and family who I feel are responsible.

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not A chance, no matter how much beer they brought over !!

salty87

Commander

i have and won't do it again.

i was keeping mine in my neighbor's lift. they asked that i leave the keys which is reasonable. we had dicussed that i would let them use it. they had boats before and knew what they were doing. they also asked before taking it. but, like most of us, my boat is old and the auto bilge pump wasn't pumping for them (some sort of blockage, i forced air into the line to clear it). i would have expected to hear the bilge running, leaky boat. they, naturally, we watching where they were going and the meanwhile my bilge was filling with water. one of their passengers asked why their shoes were getting wet!

they said it was a nervous ride back to the slip. they had it drying out when i got there. it wasn't their fault and they felt really bad but i'm going along with the boat from now on. boat's not in their slip anymore but it was great while it lasted.

Nandy

Commander

I have 2 very good friends. I trust them and Im sure they will not abuse my boat in pourpuse and if something went wrong I wouldn't mind taking care of the tag myself. However, I know they would take responsibility for it.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Well, seeing as I am 14, I have to loan my boat out to dad, and in retrospect, he loans his 3 out to me (except mine is the only running one - I don't think he is holding out his end of the deal:D)
But, I am as qualified, or possibly more qualified (don't tell him I said this:)) than he is, so it ain't a problem. As far as someone else, if they know boats, and outboards, and I trust them, it wouldn't be a problem. But, I am talking the people who have the same hobbies as me, and spend just as much time in boats, and under the cowls of outboards. The ones that know just as much about boats, and own them too. As far as other people. I wouldn't mind letting them drive, but I would have to be there - not gonna just hand over the keys, but I do like teaching others how to boat.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

No way Id loan my boat to anyone, and I wouldnt ask to borrow anyone elses. Its linda like the tv remote......

Brijoe00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would lone it to an select few people I know. My Father-in-Law, and another goof friend of mine. They are both very experianced with boats, and have the money to fix something should they break it, and I trust them.

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nobody outside my immediate family, definately not a friend, too much hassle if something goes wrong, could ruine a friendship over it shooting blame around, and simply the insurance danger you put yourself in (your boat; your problem). Same with myself. Wouldn't borrow a boat from someone else.

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

NOPE! Unless they left a CASH deposit of around 10,000.00

If they left me $10,000 I'd drill a hole in it just so it sinks. :) Talk about profit!

thunder219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have and would do it again. I let my buddy take my new boat out the second day I owned it with out me being there. I have a couple of friends I would trust to take it because if something where to happen it would either be fixed or replaced, and they know I would do the same with thier stuff. I will say I got ripped by the other half all day until we got the boat back. When I got it back it was clean and full of fuel. When it comes to any kind of maint. they are always there to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.