Winner Center Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Winner Center Console

First off, you are going to have to post some pics; as you have found out already, there isn't a lot of information on our boats out there, so the more pictures the better.

There are several types of gel-coat repair kits on the market, and Marine-Tex is good for the cracks too.

As for the teak, depending on how you want to finish it will determine the best procedure. I have used deck cleaners that contain oxalic acid to remove the dirt and the grey. Once you have it thoroughly cleaned and dry, you can apply a teak oil to it. If you want to put some sort of finish on the wood, then you will need to sand it down first. I use a 2-part finish that consists of a water-based penetrating "prime" that contains borate products which helps to keep the grey from returning, followed by a water-based clearcoat topcoat sealant that is cross-linking with the prime coat. Lasts considerably longer than anything else I have tried.​

Ken Barber

Seaman

firemed:

The latch for the front hatch is just a nylon spacer and a little plastic toggle that I bought at ACE hardware here in MA, with a screw through both into the wood. They are used for window screens I think. Hard to find, but ACE has them in the nuts and bolts aisle in the parts bins. Just keep looking. I have the same latch on the console doors (2) and the small front hatch under the bow.

Ken

firemedicrn

Recruit

Thanks Guys. Finally got to go out in the boat today, We have been getting alot of rain in Georgia, so I have not been able to go test my new boat. It did well ran about 40 and took about 4-5 sec to get up on a plane, smooth ride. Stu, the prior owner had a jack plate and dolfin on the motor. Any other tricks to do.
1989 1850 Winner cc
1989 Johnson 140 v4
David

Attachments

• boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 4

studlymandingo

Commander

Wow, that looks very much like my boat!

Take off the fin and get yourself a set of Smart Tabs. The jack plate is a nice addition to the boat; I just put one on my Winner a few weeks ago and it was a great improvement!

Experiment with the height of the motor, just keep an eye on the cooling water pressure and temp.​

Jethros

Seaman

here is my center console
6ed97644.jpg
<br /><br />The motor cover is undergoing beauty treatments currently.

This is my 1850 1989 :cool:
fr.jpg

Ron Davis

Cadet

Thank you all for the information and discussion in this thread.

I have a 1989 Winner 1850 Center Console that I bought about 2 years ago. It has a Suzuki DT 150 on it. 53 mph is the fastest I've had it, flat out in perfect chop, but in more normal conditions it will only go 50. I don't have trim tabs but I'm considering them. The boat wants to drop off of plane above 20mph. In the ocean it gets sucked down in the troughs and tends to launch itself at the top. As the boat comes off the swell it lifts the bow, accelerates and jumps. In some seas it?s very difficult to keep it in the water.

I went and read some of the Nauticus web-site after I wrote the paragraph above. It sounds like a perfect solution.

Does it help to eliminate roll with an uneven load, like having the port rear bait tank full? Did you install the 60 lb or 80 lb springs? Which springs would you recommend?

I was in some 9 or 10 ft seas with square back sides a couple weeks ago and could only run at 8 mph with out launching. Every time the boat came up on plane it would shoot to 24 mph and backing down the throttle didn?t slow it down soon enough to keep from launching. One of my passengers thinks I?m insane. I hear that he will not be traveling with me again.

I used to build fiberglass boats. The construction in these Winners is top notch.

Thank You,
Ron

gizzy

Seaman

Ron, Welcome aboard also... I have a 1986 Winner center console also. I have a new re-built 2006 2cycle Evinrude 150 on my boat. Just wanted to add about the trim tabs. I bought the 60lb Nautilus tabs and installed them. The install is easy and it certainly is worth it. It does what the company says it will. No load shifts when people walk around, and planning is three times as fast to say the least. Also since I installed them, on a flat. I am able to run a top out at 62mph... I know this is crazy but, This boat is an awsome cruiser... And a great all around fishing boat... Also one more thing about the trim tabs. The pressure it has to offer is alot more than one would think. I had to decrease the downward pressure on my boat due to a brake action during trolling. I'll say this. For a $100.00 investment, it's worth the gas savings and the agrevation associated with out them,,, Keep it Wet!!! I love my Winner

studlymandingo

Commander

Man you guys are freaking me out with these speed postings, I have a JackPlate, trim tabs and a 150, and I can barely squeeze 48 gps out of her!!!

Are these GPS speeds or pitot-tube speedo readings?​

Ron Davis

Cadet

Gizzy,
Thank you for your reply. It's exactly the information I was looking for.
I read your post on horsepower. My block and most of the parts on my engine are shared with the DT 200. I've been thinking about converting it, but I'm afraid i'll blow it to pieces.

Ron Davis

Cadet

I'm quoting GPS speeds. My pitot-tube indicates 47 when my GPS indicates 50. I figure the GPS is correct. Thats at about 4700 rpm, wonder what a prop change would do?
If you ask me 48 is fast enough, the speed limit in most of the lakes in California is 35 and in the ocean it's almost always to rough to go fast.

gizzy

Seaman

Winner RI, The topic of trim tabs. The Smart automatic trim tabs are the one to use. Easy to install relatively. And they work good.They do as they say. Worth the ivestment.

gizzy

Seaman

Ron, I had my engine re-built with 2006 parts. I know they screwed up my original engine and replaced it with a new power head. I'm not sure as the parts they used here. But my fishfinder and gps both verified the top end speed. My tack is running at 5700 rpms at this speed. I can't run this at this speed all the time either. The Gulf of Mexico isn't flat, But every now in then I open it up it keep it clean...

whitecap

Cadet

new to the forum.I have a 1986 1850 CC that i have been recondishing
lot of work but worth it.I will try to put some pics. on here if i can figure out how.
They are nice boats.:)

Jethros

Seaman

Sweet boat. That must fly. Do you still have the old teak parts?

whitecap

Cadet

Yes,i have sanded and sealed them but have not had the time to put them back on.I still have other things I want to do.

gizzy

Seaman

Whitecap, I have a 86 winner seaquest also. 1800 series. I'm in Pensacola. I've had mine since January. I just resently tweeked mine a bit and I got 63mph out at Texar. Great boat in the sea's. Love my winner.

Ron Davis

Cadet

Whitecap,

That's a beautiful paint job. It makes me want paint mine. You must have spectacular perfoemance with a 200.

Status
Not open for further replies.