Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

• Total voters

tallcanadian

Captain
Re: Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

I took my old 78 Tri-Hull Invader out of dry rot after 11 years and she is getting a good going over, I feel bad for not posting anything in here as I have been reading and learning a ton as to what I got myself into, I have a ways to go but I am spending every night and week end on her...

That's cool. Why not share. You can start your own thread and keep up informed on the progress. Don't be shy for questions. Good luck.

mgmoo7

Recruit

Just purchased a late 70's MFG TriHull. Appears to be in relatively good shape. The one thing thats worrying me is the previous owner replaced the flooring but never rewired anything or replaced any of the electronics. He has given me all new replacement parts but I have never rewired a boat before. Anyone out there who can lend a hand and guide me through the process. Also, I am very worried about the steering system. I really hope I can rely on everyone for some help. Thanks.

Southern Appal

Seaman Apprentice

Count us in. 1979 Crestliner Muskie. 15 or so feet; modified for fishing;115 hp Evinrude. Hoping to get the boat in the water one warm day soon.

Jane

superwooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

be sure to take some pics to upload here when you do...

agefhx

Cadet

1983 Avanti 16ft

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• ab1.jpg
    ab1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ab2.jpg
    ab2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ab3.jpg
    ab3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 0

Signal 20

Seaman

So I have a general Tri Hull question. I didnt get the chance to get mine on the water before I started a complete restoration and with acouple months of work left before it will see some water I have been wondering. How does the tri hull design do in choppy water? I have read acouple stories about being beaten pretty bad in choppy water :redface: also how shallow of water does it draft in, can i expect to be able to get up in the flats in mine?

woosterken

Lieutenant

Sig,
are you running an O/B or an I/O? i think an I/O sticks down farther than an O/B
as for ride in chop are you talking surfs up dude chop or some some thing less :)
that too would depend on how long the boat is,and how many people and gear you have on board.

woosterken

woosterken

Lieutenant

Mg moo7,
where are you? iam in wooster ohio , i have a '74 (avatar pic.)

woosterken

tallcanadian

Captain

Glad you could join. What kept you so long. What a great looking trihull. Nice.

redfury

Commander

So I have a general Tri Hull question. I didnt get the chance to get mine on the water before I started a complete restoration and with acouple months of work left before it will see some water I have been wondering. How does the tri hull design do in choppy water? I have read acouple stories about being beaten pretty bad in choppy water :redface: also how shallow of water does it draft in, can i expect to be able to get up in the flats in mine?

I'm right there with ya Signal! I've never floated this boat myself. Reading about the performance of this hull on the classic glastron site has me thinking that my boat will do okay in the chop ( 2ft waves ) but ride harder than a V hull would...it's just going to since these hulls kinda "hold in" the splash energy instead of letting it disperse outward from the "V". It's all about the transfer of the energy of the boat busting through the waves...it has to go somewhere. It's either the boat or the water that are going to take it. A lot of it is simply going to be based on the hull design itself. I would suspect that the more "snub nosed" tri hulls are going to hit the waves harder than the more slimline ones.

However, I have no practical knowledge of this. But then again, I really don't plan to bust my boat through the chop at full speed either.;)

tallcanadian

Captain

It depends on the design of the boat. My chines, 3 hulls, are small. So my boat rides so very rough. Even in a small chop. But, I can get up and walk around and even stand on the sides and it is very stable. It depends, I believe on the middle chine, hull. If it is deep, it will ride a lot nicer. They don't call these boats filling busters for nothing.

redfury

Commander

maybe someone could call their boat "my dentists retirement plan" :D

craigman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can i join the club!
Here's my very first boat. It's a 1974 Reinell with a 85hp Mercury.
It's been a year long project and almost done! Just need to get the seats done and she's ready!
Hope you like it!
Craig

p.s. Don't mind the date on the camera, had to change the batterys and forget to change the date! Pic was taken last week!

Attachments

• 000_1862-2.jpg
    000_1862-2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0

Beeched

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a nice looking boat. Post more pics when you get it done. It looks good in a lake with no ice in it,,,lol. Welcome to the TriHull club!!

tallcanadian

Captain

Thats' a sweet looking ride. Are you doing your own seats?

craigman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys!
No, i'm going to have the seats done. I've been trying to learn how to sew, but not going so well! (i like to be able to do everything myself)
The boat only came with one seat, and it was pretty rotten. So i had to make new ones.
In this pic i just set it in the water to check for leaks, and check the water line. Later i want to put a swim platform and ladder on it.
It's been a project for sure! New floor, transom, paint, wiring, ect..
Just have to hook up the fuel tank, get the seats done, and i'm ready!

Craig

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a '74 Mark Twain with a '75 115 HP Merc' (Tower of Power).

It was a family boat bought in '91 from the otherside of my uncle's family and he gave it to me in '04 but I learned to ski on it and how to rig up some deep water salmon fishing.

I restored it from an old blue and light blue scheme to a red, black and white scheme. Here are some pics.

Canada06001.jpg

05290920381.jpg