Suz DT115 conversion to DT140?

biggy boy

Seaman
Hi what a great site!
I have spent countless hours reading all of the great information on here!!
I'm interested in finding out what is involved in converting a DT115 to a DT140? Mine is an 88 with electronic ignition.
Can the existing carbs be re-jetted or would the carbs need to be swaped out for the ones that come on the DT 140?
I guess the oil injection pump would also have to be adjusted to accommodate additional fuel flow.

Any advise would be great.
Thanks
Glen

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Suz DT115 conversion to DT140?

reeds, carbs, fuel pump, there's alot of things that needs to be changed, at the end it's not worth all that effort and can be costly .....

biggy boy

Seaman

I've attaches the parts list with an exploded view of my motor. It's an 1988, It apears according to the parts list that only the carbs are different.

Glen

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

How about exhaust tuner, manifold, porting, heads, timing and gear ratio. Part number differences means the parts are different.

biggy boy

Seaman

Silvertip said:
How about exhaust tuner, manifold, porting, heads, timing and gear ratio. Part number differences means the parts are different.

Thanks for the reply.
The parts book in PDF format that I am referring to covers the DT115 and DT140 86 -01 The part numbers are the same for all of the parts 115- 140, for a given year, except for the carbs and the inlet plate. Unfortunately I can't get the PDF file to attach.
Anyway I'm just going to leave well enough alone.8)

Glen

Chaps

Seaman

I went the other way, converted a 140 to 115. Swapped the carbs & inlet plate, adjusted the oil pump. Seems like the link rod on the oil pump was different, don't remember. Anyway, all is well. Want my parts?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Why did you convert it to 115hp? Why would anyone wanto make the Hp less? ... sorry not to be funny ... just interested why you did it?

Chaps

Seaman

Reasonable question. For what I use the boat for and where I keep it I needed to improve the fuel economy and reduce oil consumption. In addition I have no need for the higher speeds the 140 was capable of on this 18 ft boat.

The boat is used for gathering water samples for a non-profit environmental research group in a remote estuary on the Washington Coast. It's life as a water toy is behind it.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

oh ok ... that makes sense .... but isn't it more expensive to convert it to the amount of money you will save on fuel and oil? ..... can you actually see a major difference in consumption?

Chaps

Seaman

Yes, if you bought new stuff it would be idiocy given the prices of carbs but I ran across someone who had an engine with a broken crank and he was parting it out cheap. The fuel and oil consumption is really quite a bit better than with the big carbs. I'm glad I did it (and so is the foundation that buys the gas). Also the old prop was kind of beat up and I needed one anyway so I dropped a couple of inches in pitch with a new wheel and got my ideal cruise rpm back. Interestingly the boat doesn't feel much slower.