Took the head off my motor, heres a video explaining everything.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Took the head off my motor, heres a video explaining everything.

And heres the after video:

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok, just finished both of your new videos plus the full teardown vid. First things first, new pistons on all four is a wise choice. I would have had to drive from Idaho to Florida to kick your tail end if you hadn't ;) On your exhaust cover, the stainless piece will conform once you torque it, but its a PITA. A new one will come flat, but will warp on the first run, so its not worth it to replace. Now your four port covers that the machine shop removed... the one with the hole is the one the fuel pump was on. And yes they have gaskets on them that will come in a full gasket kit. Just remember to order a gasket kit that includes a headgasket, as some don't include it.

Looks great!! all you need now are your new parts, some locktight, white lithium grease, rtv, patience, and you will be in business!

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Tater. I was kinda thinking the same thing about that exhaust plate. I can't wait to get these parts ordered and start getting it back together. It'll finally be nice to have a reliable motor on the boat. Right now I'm trying to figure out what size pistons to get (and if I can get the same kind somewhere). Bill said the top 3 are 20 over, but unless I'm doing my math wrong, I can't seem to find the right size, at least here on iboats. Looks like they only have .10 over and .30 over. I also need to find the lines somewhere for the port covers. I'd like to order as much stuff together as possible so I can save on shipping and not have to stop-and-go so much putting it all back together. I guess it won't hurt getting a manual for the torque specs either. As for the trip to Fl, well I'm sure I owe you a beer or two by now.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh yeah, I guess those little rubber pieces that go between the cylinders must be some kind of shock obsorber right? I assume I should probably hang on to those and put them back in.

tater76

Ha! yeah a good cold one is always in order ;) adult beverages aside.. Weiseco (I always misspell that) has .10, .20, .30 etc.. most places do?? You can order the pistons, rings, and pin kits together at weiseco. The small lines can be matched up at a local auto parts store, and its cheap. However, do some shopping online, I often type part numbers into amazon.com to find better deals (not a plug). You will need a complete powerhead gasket kit, rings, pistons/pin kit, suitable rtv sealant, white lithium grease, locktight, and a torque wrench to complete the job.

tater76

Yes, put the rubber guys back in. Some folks will say no, but I say the factory put them there for a reason.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The little rubber tubes that go between the cylinders divert the flow of water so that it cools the cylinders properly. It makes the water flow down one side of the water jacket around the cylinders to the bottom of the block, then up the other side to the thermostat. Without them you won't get even cooling of the cylinders. Mine were a little beat up so I used some silicone rubber hose the right diameter and cut it to the proper length.

The bypass cover with the hole is for the fuel pump to mount to. Normally it goes on #3 cylinder. The intake pulses feed through the hole to push against the rubber fuel pump diaphragm which makes the fuel pump work.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

This looks like the piston/ brand/ size I need: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390410705915&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

I was a little confused because iboats has 2 differernt "std" sizes for a 120hp force, but mine must be the "120 L-DRIVE, SPORT JET", I have the title for my motor believe it or not, any the title says its the 120EXLPT. At any rate, this deal on ebay seems to be a great price so I may go this route. I still need to build a more complete parts list for everything else, but I guess this is the big expense right here.

tater76

You don't have an L-drive swick, the L-drive is an inboard version of the 120 built by Bayliner. At least thats not what I saw in the video. Unfortunately, I am not the guru on years and models sorry. I do know of the piston size variance between years of the 120 though. Yours is likely the 3.375, but there was also a 3.312 (I think thats right). You need to find the serial number, or look for a stamping on the side of the block. Then report it back here, and someone will give you a difinitive answer on the year.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was just looking at that right now. Wiseco sells the 3.375's and based on what I've seen I think the 3.312's are for the 1990 and earlier 120's. On another thread jerryjerry said that overbored pistons usually have a size marked on them, but mine clearly do not, although all evidence points to them being aftermarket pistons.The number on my block is 3358756, I'm trying to figure it out the correct sizes right now.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know if that last number is usefull at all, I have asticker with a part # 37-856984 on it, 1686cc, family: XM9XM0103210.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

For what its worth, heres a picture of the sticker on top of the block.
DSC01172.JPG

tater76

From the sticker its obviously a late 99, but my question is why the void stamp all over it?

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

My guess is that when they heated up the block to install the new sleeve the heat voided th sticker

tater76

So if you have a 99, just go to the wiseco site and you will be able to look up the standard size for that year. Then you can see exactly what the .20 oversize is.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah wiseco says 3.375 is the std, the confusion was from here on iboats where they sell 3.312's as std for the 120 and 3.375's say they are for the l-drive/ sport jet. It could be that its for the L-drive OR sport jet, maybe it means mine is the l-drive. It'd be easier to decifer if I knew what 120EXLPT stood for. But I'm prone to think the 3.375's are the correct STD bore size. I should have had Bill take measurements or right something down for me at the shop instead of just walking away with "1 std and 3 20 over"

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Your engine has the 3.375 diameter pistons. HOWEVER: You have the longer Mercury rods so you must order the Wiseco 3164 piston. The wrist pin is a larger diameter and the hole is highr in the piston to accomodate the longer rod (approximately 1/4 inch longer) If you order from another piston supplier, be certain that you get the correct piston.

Actually, Cylinder diameter is 3.375 (standard) and the piston is sized for correct clearance. Pistons are cam ground and are oval in shape with a major and minor diameter to account for the uneven heating thus uneven expansion they get.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank a lot guys. The correct size is 3.375 for std on this engine. I thought so but needed to verify. I just called over to the shop and checked with them to make sure that's the size of the new cylinder and the other 3 were 3.395. Looks like we're in business again. I'll get all the parts ordered today and hopefully it won't take to long to get them delivered. My goal is to have it all back together and water ready before memorial weekend. Kinda a little tradition to take it out that weekend.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got my pistons ordered. I got all 4 for $328 ($82 each). Thats awesome because I saved over $100 there and then I bought a gasket kit for another $93, http://www.ebay.com/itm/360275697455?item=360275697455&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr, so everything should be here in a week or so and so far, not counting tools, I'm at about $750 into this. $335 for the block work, $328 for pistons, and $93 for gaskets. I still need to get a couple of carb kits, a new thermostat, and some new spark plugs though, so that will probably be around another $50.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey does anyone happen to know if either the 'Mallory Carb Kit 9-37000' or the 'Carburetor Kit - Sierra' sold here on iboats work with these carbs? There's no model list, just listed under force. They are $12 bucks a peice and I honestly don't see why those kits get so expensive ($50 & up). I'm pretty good about keeping my carbs clean but I know I could use 2 new cork gaskets and I guess dropping two new pins in won't hurt it either.