Took the head off my motor, heres a video explaining everything.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Took the head off my motor, heres a video explaining everything.

Yes I understood you, thanks for making sure. I got those all out, now all I have to do is work on that flywheel tomorrow.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok so I went out and bought some bigger sockets today, the 1 1/16th was too big, I got the nut off with a 1" socket and actually that still had a little play in it. The end result is the same, I got the nut off and the block wants to separate, but I'm having a hell of a time with the flywheel. I got the puller suggested by pnwboat and combining that with some mallet love isn't getting this thing off. Any suggestions? It almost seems like its still bolted on.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

When you put the puller on, make sure the 3 smaller bolts are screwed all the way in as far as they will go. Tighten the main center bolt good and tight. Take a steel hammer and whack the large center bolt like you are trying to drive it into the block. Don't be shy about hitting it. Do that a couple of times. Check the large center bolt to see if it has loosened up a bit. Crank it down with a wrench if it has. Take your hammer and whack it again. You may have to take a propane torch and heat up the center of the flywheel. A couple of cycles of tightening the center bolt and hitting it with a steel hammer should do the trick. You need to use a steel hammer so you can break the bond between the flywheel and crankshaft. Plastic or wooden mallet won't work.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok so I guess in other words i don't have to worry about hitting it to hard? This thing is more difficult than any other part of this job so far.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow, a 1" flywheel nut? Thats a new one to me, but hey.. Mercury liked to meddle with all the little things toward the end ;)
Another trick to keeping the flywheel locked in place while your pulling it off, is to take a medium height socket and put it in between the teeth of the flywheel and wedge it against the block. You will see the little nub on the block to wedge it against.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yeah, flywheels can be stubborn to remove. I guess that's good in a way. Don't want it coming off while it's running! No worry about hitting the center bolt too hard. You really need to give it a good hard hit to jolt the area where the crankshaft is "wedged" into the hole in the flywheel. The hole in the flywheel is tapered, so it really creates a good solid fit. Hard to get apart, especially when a little bit of rust or corrosion gets in there.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well guys, I'm happy to report its off and actually I took the entire thing apart by now. I used pnw's advice about not girly tapping it. a few man taps and it didn't want to get hit again. I will get some more of the video together, but all I can say is that the bottom piston was all but gone, I will post a short clip soon, but surprisingly, it was just the piston. Everything else looks perfect, well except the cylinder that needs boring of course, and I'm sure I will need all new rings, but I will leave that for the video so you guys can correct me if I am wrong. I think once I compile the whole tear down into one video it will be pretty long, but I'm sure it will benefit others, same way you guys have been helping me.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh yeah, I found the proper socket for that fly wheel in another tool box, its actually 15/16 if you can believe it. Figures after I bought new sockets I come accross it. I got all the sizes and specs so far in the videos.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Great job on getting it apart. Just make sure you match up the connecting rod caps to the right connecting rod and the pistons should go back into the cylinder that they came out of. Those split rings on the crank shaft are the crankshaft seals and are supposed to be split so you can get them off and on. They're about 7 bucks apiece. I usually order a couple extra because I often break one when installing the crank. Take a close look at all the roller bearings and bearing races. Look for pitting and metal discoloration from overheating. Overheated bearing has a light blue to regular blue tint, depending on how hot it got. The connecting rod caps have a spot on the parting line that is ground off. When you put the cap back on and torque the rod bolts, you should be able to take a scribe and drag it across the parting line without it catching in the split. This way you know the cap is perfectly aligned. You'll also need a ring compressor to install the pistons back into the block. Make sure the baffle on the top of the piston is facing the right way. Check the video below. Pay close attention as to how he lines up the piston ring gap with the pin in the ring groove.

One other thing to be aware of. The original pistons have pressed in wrist pins. You need at least a two ton press and a special spacer tool to get them out and back in. There are replacement pistons that have "Floating" wrist pins that can be installed by hand. No press required. The wrist pins are held in place by circlips. Much easier to work with that the pressed pin pistons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2guz1MUrSU0

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow! That is the worst piston damage I have see! Well... besides a few that threw the rod. I think I may have seen some pretty good scratches on one of the other pistons too??

You need to do the fingernail trick on all of the cylinders. Run your finger around the inside of each cylinder, and if your fingernail catches in any scratches its pretty likely it will need a rebore. Honing will take out some of the lighter scratches, but if after honing you can still catch them, they could cause compression loss.

The rings will look loose when you pull the piston out, they are compressed upon insertion into the cylinder.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pnw, I hate sounding ignorant, but I'm not sure what all the different components are called, besides the obvious like the crank, pistons, and major stuff. I do have a piston compressor already, but no special presses or anything, just a regular old press that fixes to a work bench. So what you are saying is the new piston will not come with new wrist pins and I will either need to press out the original and reuse it or I will benefit from buying a piston with a floating wrist pin? I wonder how much more those cost (but it may be worth the expense?), and will it matter if one piston type is different from the other 3? Thanks for the video btw, I have seen that one before but I am sure I will have to watch it a few more times before I get this back together.

Tater, I think the way the light was hitting the other pistons maybe why they looked scratched, I didn't see anything real concerning but I will look again in the daylight and probably take a better video. Doing this stuff til nightfall gets exhausting man, I've been beat the past couple of days. I will do the fingernail trick too, but again the others looked pretty decent. And the crazy thing is how destroyed the #4 piston was and the rest of the engine still looks so good.

Gulf Boater

Seaman Apprentice

Great thread just what I needed being new to boating and my force 120 also having low comp in 2 cylinders. The vids are ver helpfully
I'm also in fl and while searching Craigslist I did find this guy in Bradenton that does honeing,Boreing,sleeves etc don't know if that is any use to you but here's the link http://sarasota.craigslist.org/bod/2890571945.html

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The new pistons (both pressed pin & floating pin) come with new wrist pins. A two ton bench press will work. It just takes more effort, skill and a special tool to install the pressed pin pistons. Regardless of which piston you use, you will have to remove the old pin. Use that as a guide as to how much effort it will take to install a replacement pressed pin piston. I've started using the floating pistons because it's so much easier. I've mixed floating pin pistons with pressed pin pistons with no problems. The weight of the pistons is within a couple of grams of each other.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just brought the block and pistons in the house to inspect under better light (and air conditioning), and the number two piston will need to be replaced also. I cleaned them all up with some degreaser and a toothbrush and found a chip and crack on the inside of #2. It sucks cause that cylinder had good compression, but I didn't come this far to leave a shotty piston in there even though it might well last the life of the engine. I'm debating on number 1, there are no cracks or anything, but it does have some marking on the outside of it which I assume is from the shards of #4 flying around in there. Honestly I'm leaning toward replacing that one two, but then i say to myself, why bother to leave #3 in there at this point? Thankfully the clyinders all look great (1-3), and yes they pass the finger nail test. I guess I will hone the top 3 and bore #4. So I will likely be looking at $350+ on pistons, maybe $100 on a bore, not sure how much on honing, $30 for a head gasket, have to figure out what other gaskets, seals, and rings, I will need, and a couple of new bolts. Looks like I'll be at about a grand afterall.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tried to go and see about getting that engine bored today, but the boat mechanic I knew of is no longer there. I guess its back to the drawing board, now I have to find a capable engine mechanic or machine shop in the area. My only reservation about not using a boat mechanic to bore the engine is them getting the correct bore size, I'm sure the common engine mechanic does not have stacks of outboard manuals lying around. How will I/ they know what size to bore it and how will I know if its done right? I don't think I should order new pistons until the block is done, right?

Also, I started putting together a parts list, I'm over $500 already. I decided to just go ahead and replace all 4 pistons afterall, I figure if I'm going to rebuild it, it might as well be completely new and last as long as I need it to. Also on that list is the head gasket, new carb kits, new thermostat and gasket, the gasket for the adapter plate, etc. I'm sure I left stuff off that list and will find more. I also need to replace some of the end connections on a few wires that were in real bad shape, like melted bad. I wonder if thats why my overheat alarm never worked on this thing. The previous owner had eliminated the one fuse on the engine and when I bought it I added it back in, maybe the wires were melted because there was no fuse, at any rate I need to fix them the right way.

Gulf Boater

Seaman Apprentice

Checkout www.powerheadkit.com they have complete rebuild kits for $575. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm gonna go with in a few weeks when I start my rebuild
reman%20kitforce4-800.jpg

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Gulf Boater, that doesn't look like a bad deal actually, I wish they had a parts list instead of just the picture though. Your package there is reasonable, but I doubt you will need all of it. I know I only removed two gaskets (probably should have been more), in this whole tear down. And then theres the fact that I will need two different size pistons for the rebore, which actually brings up a new question in my mind, and thats the head gasket fit, I wonder if one bored out cylinder will make a difference in the fit of the head gasket. At any rate, I have the complete tear down video up on youtube now, I will do one for the rebuild as well, hopefully this will help you as you go. I should probably break the video into different segments, but don't let the 50 minutes fool you, it took a few long days as I'm sure you know.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's my tentative shopping list so far, ignore sizes and stuff, I haven't double checked any of that yet, I was just putting a list together for a price range. I also need to check around online and see if there are any current promo codes, that can make a world of differend when spending over $500.
iboats shopping list.JPG

Gulf Boater

Seaman Apprentice

What site were those parts listed on as I need carb kits and thermostat :D