Took the head off my motor, heres a video explaining everything.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Took the head off my motor, heres a video explaining everything.

The odds will change when you price a new one.

haha, point taken, I've come across a deal or two down here on a used motor or boat/ motor combo. Florida's economy got hit pretty hard so people are selling off lots of their toys. I know I can get a suitable outboard anywhere from $1500-$3000. Thats pretty much why I wouldn't want to exceed $500-$1000 fixing this one. At any rate, I may have some time tomorrow to rip it apart, really depends on my wifes schedule, but I've got a more general question for you guys. All other things being equal, whats the real difference between boring out 1 cylinder vs boring them all? I mean would it mean that one would have different compression or power then the others or anything like that?

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok, so this is how I like to look at things when I'm in your situation. Say I can scrape together a thousand bucks for a used Johnnyrude or merc. Now lets look at a thousand dollar Johnnyrude and Merc?? Are you inheriting unknown problems? does the motor need anything?? Will it be reliable?? My guess is that you would have to throw more money on top of the purchase price to get it up to sea worthy condition.

Now lets look at your Force... You know how it ran before, you will have pulled it apart and inspected every tiny inch of the block, pistons, rods, bearings, etc.. Upon the rebuild, you will understand your engine much better, know exactly what and where everything goes and looks like. You will have the satifaction that everything is torqued and sealed as good as factory or better. You will know you have good rings and even compression. You will know that YOU have a solid reliable running motor that YOU made that way, not the hearsay of a guy who said his Merc was running good two years ago but hasnt fired it up since.

Thats just the way I like to look at it, but its your time and money.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I just looked on searchtempest.com and looked within a 200 mile radius of Bradenton Florida. found a bunch of 120hp Force outboards for sale as low as $500 in Bradenton, and about $1650 in St. Pete.

for $3k, you get the outboard, a boat, and the trailer to haul them around.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Scott I've seen them on craigslist in the past for about the same. They really don't retain any value, but if they are properly kept I don't see why they can't last either (other than parts becoming scarce that is). When I did come across them craigs I thought about picking one up for parts and now I wish I did.

foodfisher

Captain

With Jerryjerry that close I would go with what I have,"If" serviceable.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well my plan is definitely to repair it if I can, but I think if I start coming into more expensive issues (and I really doubt I will, but we never know) then we will have to reconsider. Like I said, that bottom cylinder has been scored since I bought it and always been troublesome, but I never really run the thing too hard either, I always knew when to throttle down and all, I think its just run its course. I am pretty confident that the rest of the engine will be ok.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyway, I will video the tear down and rebuild and upload, I'm sure it will be helpful for other people as well.

foodfisher

Captain

:cool: I'll be one of the beneficiaries.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok guys, I got it mostly apart. Been working on it most of the day today and I am at the point where I just need to seperate the block. Could use a little help at this point, heres a short clip of where I'm at currently:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

You're almost there. You have to remove the carburetor adapters and reed assembly. Inside there you will see some more allen head bolts. These allen head bolts also hold the block together. You also have to remove the flywheel, stator and stator mount. The stator mount has some small bolts that are screwed into both sides of the block so they have to come out. The adapter plate on the bottom of the motor has to come off. Sometimes it's a little stubborn, but it has to come off.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. So I guess to get the flywheel off I have to figure out what size nut that is and buy a bug enough socket. I can't seem to locate a manual online anywhere. Any idea what size nut that is up there?

tater76

pnwboat is right, and I will add the two small allen head bolts at the base of the motor just above the adaptor plate. You may have to use an impact screwdriver to loosen them up.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

No I'm not 100% sure about the size of the nut. You'll also need a flywheel puller like this one.

harmonic balancer puller.jpg

You'll also need a torque wrench to tighten the flywheel nut and other bolts. Actually it's best if you have two torque wrenches. One that reads in Foot Pounds, and another that reads in Inch Pounds. You'll also need a 12 point 1/4 inch socket to get the connecting rod bolts off.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, look like I'll be going shopping, so no to getting the flywheel off with the rubber mallet then? Also, follow up question to your previous responses, I took the other bolts out of the bottom plate as well as the two mentioned by Tater, that thing is really on there, am I missing something or do I just conivince it with a block of wood and a hammer?

tater76

If I remember right.... the gasket between the spacer and the leg of the lower unit covered up two allen headed bolts? I will look at the vid again, but check that first. I had to scrape gasket off to get to at least one on my last build. If you have a harbor freight tools store near you, they sell pullers like that for under $10.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I'll go poke around and see. I tried the good ole 2X4 and hammer method to no avail. I wouldn't be surprised to find a hiding screw somewhere. Now that I've got it mostly apart I'm tempted to bring it in the living room and finish the tear down while I'm motivated.

tater76

Yup, there is one maybe two hiding under the gasket in the vid. Scrape it and take em out, then it should just pop off.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're the man Tater. I just went out there and took more of the gasket off and sure enough there were two more there. I don't even know what the real purpose of that gasket is anyway. I guess thats all I can do until I get a socket big enough to pull the flywheel off then.

tater76

The socket is 1-1/16" try your local pawn shops, bet you can get it for $1.00 :)

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Just want to make sure you understood, not sure if I was really clear about this part. Once you take the carburetor adapters off and take the reed valve assy. from inside the intake, you'll see some large allen head bolts inside that you have to remove.