To Build a Boat (any boat)

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

WOW !!! Congrats.<br /><br />9 days from sawdust to sea trial. That's gotta be a forum record.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

IT FLOATS!! Nice work Wimperdink it looks pretty cool. Looks like you could use more trim for sure though. Did you scare any bystanders?

cpj

Ensign

Looks good!You need MORE POWER!!!!

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol ok back with the findings.... My wife needs more attention... need to get her a girlfriend... oops wrong forum j/k :D <br /><br />Ok, I found that the angled transom is definitly a bad deal with this weedless setup... I found I need to carry extra plugs... I found I should not run it all the way rich on the high speed adjustment even if it does get more rpms... (fouling plugs) And I found that the rope on the throttle is entirely neccesary to get more weight fwd in the boat to pick up speed. I found I had to raise the motor to the very tippy top of the screws to get it out of the water enough so as to not create a load of drag and that it needed to be out at the furthest out position to get any rpms outof it. And I found a 4 x 8 boat can create one heck of a wake. Enough so that when you turn around and go over your own wake, the shovel shape of the front will get your butt a tad wet. I found a leak that allowed about a cup of water in the hull at the top back seam. And I found with simple adjustments you can go from a top speed of 4.7 miles per hour to a top speed of 9 miles per hour with this setup... that was by moving the motor up 1 inch higher, setting the gas tank in the front of the cockpit, and shifting my body weight to just about over the gas tank in the middle of the boat. <br /><br />Oh one more thing... need to take a better photographer with me next time.. this one doesnt understand how small this boat is and far away shots make ya look like a dot in the sunset. :D <br /><br />Now, with all that fun behind me, I will be making a transom that is vertical to the back of the boat and about 16½" tall, and try again... this low powered of an engine needs all the help it can get and I'm doubting that airborne is going to be an nonissue with the prop in any position.<br /><br />I also have 2 more of the exact same prop for this motor so I may take a hammer to it and try to tweak the pitch a lil on one of the other props.<br /><br />If I fail to reach the 15 mph mark with these tweaks, I will cover in the cockpit with the exception of enough space to store the gas tank and put a lid over it so water coming over the front will continue over the top and back into the lake. I will install a seat that sets me up a lil higher and center steering and control console. and possibly put hand rails around it to mimic this boat...<br /><br />
boat
<br /><br />I had a blast with it today and there will only be more modifications to come.<br /><br />I was amazed at how a few tweaks can almost double your WOT speed. Believe it or not its a valuable lesson learned on the physics of hull & motor combo and setup and how to get the most out of what you have. <br /><br />P.S. about 3 or 4 mph with a trolling motor. (GPS batteries died)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> Looking good! Maybe there is room for twin 9.9's on the back?
Honestly I think you'd have to be on crack to put any more weight in this boat than I just did... <br />Motor 40 lbs... me 180 lbs, and 4 gallons of gas.<br /><br />I think even a 10 hp motor would almost swamp it. those things weight over 65 lbs.<br /><br />
Originally posted by AMDRules:<br /> 9 days from sawdust to sea trial. That's gotta be a forum record.<br />
Thanks its been fun.<br /><br />
Originally posted by CalicoKid:<br /> IT FLOATS!! Nice work Wimperdink it looks pretty cool. Looks like you could use more trim for sure though. Did you scare any bystanders?<br />
Trim definitly. Recieved a lot of looks :) saw a bass boat smoking like crazy... not running worth a crap... almost went and asked him if he needed a tow :D <br /><br />
Originally posted by cpj:<br /> Looks good!You need MORE POWER!!!!
More power = more weight... I'm not sure about that...

cpj

Ensign

Hand rails? We dont need no stinking hand rails! Dont be a p*ssy!Act like you got a pair!BTW as long as you are moving and on plane, dont worry about what the motor weighs.Just dont stop. :D :D :D :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol... Thats another thing... when one of your spark plugs puke and make ya go to half speed your in danger of your wake coming over the back :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

See... you always wanted the wake to come over the back of your boat.... :D lol<br /><br />Looks good... I said last night might have to come up... and also thought you'd get the hint about the set-up while talkin about my Tri-hull.... The more you raise it... the better that engine will run, as well as get you goin faster... as long as it's not too high... Looks good though, remember... the guy in those pics is pretty far up, I think by the time you put steering and such, it will force you to be up there. Might be worth lookin for a bit more hp, like 2-3 more with a built in tank. That little bit there shouldn't weigh much more. and it would get rid of the port tank, just leave some gas at the car and ya might get another few MPH outta it. Before ya go cuttin the top, I would get everything together (steering, throttle, ect ect) then get the saw out. It's what I would do anyways.<br />Good job... now let the fun begin...lol

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I took the boat off the saw horses to put the plywood up to cut my new transom... it felt awful heavy so I set it on the scale... it weights in at 95 lbs... Can I have really added that much more weight??????? and in what??? I'm sure I have more resin than what the plans call for but 30 lbs more??? <br /><br />Looking on ebay I havent seen a lot of engines for sale with onboard gas tanks... though I would like more top end. :D I really believe right now that with the diff angle of transom and mounting it just one more inch higher i'll pull my 15 mph... Steering would be nice but I think when I do it, instead of mounting it in the cockpit i'll mount it more on top of the front of the cockpit to allow me to sit in the middle of the boat.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

do you know what a gallon of resin weighs?...I don't ...lol <br /><br />I also think you may find you performance outta the motor you got, but your also a little heavy.... how you weighing it?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

balanced precariously on a bathroom scale of course :D

cpj

Ensign

If you have ever weighed your boat on bathroom scales.....Anyway, it would be easy to figure out what the resin weighs in the can, but the question is what does it weigh when dry?Is it more less or the same? :confused:

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

well dink I found your first problem with not getting the speed you wanted.....Always trying to get the most outta everything.....<br />
minitubin.JPG
<br /><br />hmmmm bathroom scale.. bet that was fun :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just bid on some low dollar outboards... one 6 hp and one 7.5 hp hoping I dont win both but if I do I guess i'll have more projects to build :D <br /><br />Dave that picture is absolutly classic... I love it.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Which motors???? might have to outbid ya...lol

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

actually I found a couple for 48 dollars each in KS.. they were like 10 hp Older motors that i assume have sat awhile in a barn

G DANE

Commander

I think you need a 10 HP, but you'r the one that seen it handle weight. I also thing that you should listen to the motor. Does it sound like it reached its top RPM's. It seems to mee that a 4 should be able to have more RPM's than for 10 MPH wiht a strandard prop. If I am wrong you are right about adding pitch. Even better, try to add cup to end of blades and raise motor more, will reduce drag. Ist just a barrier you have to cross, then it planes all out and hull drag drops drasticly. Great project. Buy the wife some DVD's :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will try it tomorrow with the motor raised a bit and the prop angle a lil diff tomorrow hopefully... <br />I dont know about the max rpms but it sounded good for the first 30 min... then it started misfiring on one cylinder. Will check points gap and plug gap tomorrow as plugs dont appear to be fouled. <br /><br />Hey how does this sound... duel 3.3 hp motors with a grand total weight of 56 lbs and 6.6 hp :D easy to find with built in gas tanks