To Build a Boat (any boat)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

I'll be using 1/4" ply and I've toyed with the thought of cutting out some braces like in cpj's yak just to keep it sturdy. I may chop enough off the back for a small motor to. Not sure yet... Well here I go... ON the road again... feels so good to be on the... you get the picture. :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I think the most of your problem is sittin in that car you have too much time to think :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just got a ticket in VA for $121 ugh... 78 in a 65. How do they figure their prices???? $65 for the fine... $51 for paperwork processing. $5 local fees. I thought taxes paid our govt employees... so why am I paying for them to do my paperwork fees to file my fine papers... and 51 is a lil steep isnt it? :D :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

yep... seams steep to me... I'd have to agree with processing fee's... kinda double dippin isn't it... Besides they are the ones that decided you needed the ticket.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

zigactly and btw yes I do have wayyyyyy to much time to think on these trips. Lotsa soul searching and project planning :D And to think I get paid for that. :)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

whew 18 hours later and i'm here... bedtime gotta work early.... already cant wait to get home and start a new project so I can be posting pics here instead of just yapping

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

That is a neat canoe. When reading the plans I saw incorrect information stated as fact that I wanted to bring to the attention of anyone who is reading those plans. <br /><br />The plans state: <br /><br />"· Why metric? Metric is not only the official, legal units system in the US but it is much easier."<br /><br />That statement is false. The Metric system is not the official legal units system in the USA. It is ONE of TWO legal systems. Not THE legal system as the author would like you to believe. <br /><br />The following is the final word on US weights and measures. <br /><br />Taken from "NIST Handbook 130 - 2005 Edition<br />Uniform Laws and Regulations in the Areas of Legal Metrology and Engine Fuel Quality<br />as adopted by the 89th National Conference on Weights and Measures 2004".<br /><br />The handbook clearly states: <br /><br />The International System of Units (SI)[ NOTE 2, page 22] (metric system) and the system of weights and measures in customary use in the United States are jointly recognized, and either one or both of these systems shall be used for all commercial purposes in the State. <br /><br />The bold and (metric system) are added by me for clarification and emphasis. <br /><br />So don't let anyone tell you that you have to use metric because it's the official measurement system in the US. Fight Metric! I will never use metric as a system of choice. As an American, you should keep traditional US Measures in practice! Metric was invented by the French over 200 years ago. That alone is the best reason I can think of for ignoring the metric system. :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol mark... Ya gotta stand for something or you'll fall for anything. What the heck i'll stand behind ya on that... besides i have enough trouble with fractions and decimals as it is... why add more confusion.... I still only speak english. I'm happy with that too.. (wife speaks 3 languages)I'll just chew on my tounge instead.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

At least with those plans it's got both as an option.<br /><br />I've been brought up with decimal. So building boats off American plans is a bit of a challange

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH, I am drooling on the keyboard...... <br /><br />check the pictures page on this website!<br /><br /> http://www.maineconnect.com/ptwd/ <br /><br />And you think we got minimax fever....

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Some of those are nice..... And some of those people have spent a bit more time on them..... you can tell the ones that weren't thrown together in a week :D

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Yes some nice ones there for sure. Wimper, you gonna submit this pic?<br /><br />
paddling1.jpg

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I submitted that and a few others... we'll see if they get up there :D There are a lot of good looking minimax's on that site. Good find lark.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dave / Captian pansy boy Are ya getting started yet???<br /><br />Lark got pics?<br /><br />Anyone else wanna join the fun? :) <br /><br />Someone needs to build that showboat I listed pics and plans of. It sleeps 2 built full size. :D

cpj

Ensign

calico figured out some more on the plans.Im fixing to go do some more measuring.cant stay out too late, Im going huntin in the morning.And its Captain Periwinkle, you dolt.mlm :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol you respond faster to captain pansey boy<br /> :D your going to have to change your plans midway anyway... build your frames... cut your notches... lay your keel across the frames and measure the differances and cut. :D <br /><br />Plans are only a starting point... warped wood and soaking up resin will change your materials list and your plans anway. :D

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

speaking of resin, Interesting read about polyester on Mike's Mini-Max page. Putting two coats on without catalyst and letting each one soak in, before putting on a coat with catalyst in it. I might try that.<br /><br />Now, pics....
2039.jpg
<br /><br />Sorry, progress is slow. I just don't have much time. This week will probably see it ready for the deck, Hopefully....

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lookin good .... have you held the sides in place to see how the cross piece would mate up to it? Glad to see you premade your motorboard... not sure why that just made me not want to do it lol<br /><br />I read that about poly in the tips section too. I guess the one way to test that would be to pour some resin in a cup... drop a few drops of hardener in there and leave it sit... according to his theory it should harden the entire cup even unmixed. I find that hard to believe but worth a shot to try. sure would make things easier to keep smooth in the glass process.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lark are you using screws or nails? Or just glue?

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

That metric plywood looks good Lark. I think I would try the poly w/o hardner method on a scrap of plywood before doing the boat. It's almost the opposite of Wimper's 50/50 resin/hardner mix.<br /><br />BTW, 35 degrees F here right now. Nothing will cure below 40F or so. Looking for warmer weather later this week. That and I keep getting distracted...<br /><br />At the moment I like this:<br /><br />
076637.jpg