To Build a Boat (any boat)

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

pics will be here by the time you wake up tommorrow

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ummm Dink..... why have you painted the boat......without the motor board?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

cause I felt like it :D ... I will paint the motor board seperate then bolt it in place

cpj

Ensign

Originally posted by Wimperdink:<br /> lol I know the feeling lark... we want pictures we want pictures... <br /><br />Dont let dave and cpj give you a hard time... your already well ahead of them in your project.
hey dink:mlm :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

LMAO..... yeah mlm dink <br /><br />wheres the launch pictures...didn't make it did ya???

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Today I finished painting the bottom, built the motor board... tonight I will paint it and mount it.. tomorrow at 1:30 I will launch... my neighbor was begging me to wait so he could be there for the launch... I agree'd cause I need a camera operator too. contemplating the keelson weather I want to install one single one or two.<br /><br />I'm considering a windshield. :D

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Is there any way you could webcast this christening? Maybe payperview?<br /><br />You completely sealed the compartments huh? Safe bet :)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well I spose now would be the time to admit since you asked.... the front is completely sealed... the side compartments are sealed on the outsides all the way around... the whole bottom inside of the cockpit is sealed... the only place I got lazy was the top of the cockpit on the side compartments... I layed plenty of glue on the stringers before screwing the top down but didnt actually fiberglass that seam. I got lazy near the end. All I have left to do is bolt the motorboard on... holes are drilled board is built, I'll just squeeze a bunch of 5200 in the holes before I mount the motor board. :D <br /><br /><br /> Wimps Chatroomis now open for the bored and restless.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

What I meant was that those compartments are more or less airtight and will act as flotation.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol yep
done1.JPG
<br />
done5.jpg
<br /><br />
done6.jpg

G DANE

Commander

ON that weedless motor wyou will need to have the trim pin all the way out, and maybe even have some extantion made, or it will press bow down, it creates uptrust. Is that a 5 or 6 HP ??<br /><br />Nice project, you really mowe along, how do you get the time.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

4 hp and thanks :) <br /><br />I was chatting with Dave and decided I need to make a straight up and down motorboard too.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Nice work! I've been watching your progress since the day you started. You sure don't waste your time. I'd probably still be getting around to buying lumber :p .<br />I'd get another motor if I were you. I've got a couple of those weedless 4hp's and they're great for trolling but aren't very quick. A 9.8 Merc or 9.9 JohnnyRude would be cheap and way more fun on that thing.<br />Eric

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Eric B:<br /> <br />I'd get another motor if I were you. I've got a couple of those weedless 4hp's and they're great for trolling but aren't very quick. A 9.8 Merc or 9.9 JohnnyRude would be cheap and way more fun on that thing.<br />Eric
I may get another motor yet.... I'm not sure what size though... Then again I may wait until just after xmas when many need money and go shopping on ebay and swap meets and buy a small array of motors to fit this and future projects :D If I get 10 mph out of this combination i'll be happy. :)

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Is the geargase not 90 degrees to the driveshaft on that motor?<br /><br />Nice work, looks fast from the angle of the first photo.<br /><br />Are you going to put in the steering board, or anything to hang on to?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

2002.jpg
<br /><br />it's a start, I don't have as much time to work on things as some....

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Calico no its not a 90 degree lower unit... it faces down a bit.<br /><br />
motor.jpg
<br /><br /><br />Lark, right on.... just keep em comin as you go... I think you have the same measurements on the sides of your cross piece as I came up with. Those measurements screwed me up... made me move the cross piece back some and had to compensate everywhere else for it. :) I'll explain further when you get moreinto the assembly phase.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll be back later with the rest of the story... unfortunatly 5 minute camera lesson should have been a 20 minute lesson... I've got next to no good material with the pictures. Here's a few anyway.<br />9 mph top speed. Needs tweaking.<br /><br />
moving.jpg
<br />
moving3.jpg
<br /><br />
moving1.jpg
<br /><br />puts out a massive wake for the size of the boat in a turn. <br />
wake.jpg

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Looking good! Maybe there is room for twin 9.9's on the back?